Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 422279 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1110 on: April 26, 2016, 07:45:26 am »
I brewed a CAP yesterday with 80% Rahr 6-row and 20% Quaker Grits.  I did a cereal mash and used Clusters for bittering, Sterling for first wort hops and German Hallertauer at knock out.  It seems to be fermenting nicely with half the batch on 2308 and half on 34/70.

My last CAP with 2308 came out great. A bit strong at 6.2%, but I'm not complaining.  I think the 3# of flaked maize provided me with better efficiency than expected.

It was tasty.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #1111 on: April 26, 2016, 07:47:53 am »
Have the day to myself on Sunday and am planning on 2 3.5g batches. Following Ken's "original" recipe and a revised one for his North German Pilsner. I now have a second burner, and plan on trying to run both batches at roughly the same time. Fingers crossed
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1112 on: April 26, 2016, 08:31:54 am »
Have the day to myself on Sunday and am planning on 2 3.5g batches. Following Ken's "original" recipe and a revised one for his North German Pilsner. I now have a second burner, and plan on trying to run both batches at roughly the same time. Fingers crossed
Day to yourself -- nice. Enjoy it!

What burner did you get? I've been looking to add a second and wanted to review some different threads/experiences around some of the homebrew-specific ones. I'm using a Bayou Classic currently (don't remember the model). I like the burner fine, but the stand leaves me wanting a little.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #1113 on: April 26, 2016, 10:55:31 am »
It's a smaller bayou classic. Their fish fryer,  ame with a shallow pot that I won't be able to use. I am assuming the stand will be as rickety as my original bayou classic but should not cause any problems with smaller batches. I pocked it up at home depot just before spring as a closeout special for $25. Couldn't pass it up. Haven't used it yet, again, fingers crossed
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #1114 on: April 29, 2016, 01:57:18 pm »
What's brewing this weekend?

Nothing for me but hoping to do a double batch session next Friday of Vienna Lager and an ESBish sort of thing. Never attempted 2 batches in one day so it should be interesting.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1115 on: April 29, 2016, 02:12:46 pm »
Hoping to do a double batch session next Friday of Vienna Lager and an ESBish sort of thing. Never attempted 2 batches in one day so it should be interesting.
What's your ESB-ish sort of thing? I'm interested in something that falls into that space near ESB and American Amber where crisp hop flavor/aroma meets crystal maltiness.

As for the two batches in one day -- I set out to do that a few weeks ago. Usually I feel pretty tireless when brewing, but for some reason that day I realized about halfway through the boil that I wasn't going to make it to the second batch. Unfortunately the grain is still sitting in my closet....

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #1116 on: April 29, 2016, 02:36:46 pm »
kegging a dortmunder that was my first use of WL835, and using slurry to make a German Pils. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #1117 on: April 29, 2016, 03:26:23 pm »
Hoping to do a double batch session next Friday of Vienna Lager and an ESBish sort of thing. Never attempted 2 batches in one day so it should be interesting.
What's your ESB-ish sort of thing? I'm interested in something that falls into that space near ESB and American Amber where crisp hop flavor/aroma meets crystal maltiness.

As for the two batches in one day -- I set out to do that a few weeks ago. Usually I feel pretty tireless when brewing, but for some reason that day I realized about halfway through the boil that I wasn't going to make it to the second batch. Unfortunately the grain is still sitting in my closet....

83.3% golden promise
9.5% munich 6L
3.6% uk crystal 45
3.6% simpson's double roasted crystal

~43 IBU
Magnum bittering
EKG/Palisade @ 20 min
EKG/Fuggles @ 5 min
EKG/Palisade dry hop

deciding between US05 and S04 depending on how "English" I want to make it.

As far as two batches in one day, I would prefer not do it but I have beer fest on Saturday, Mother's Day on Sunday and I have to get these guys ready for a tasting in June.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:41:01 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Deaner

• 1st Kit
« Reply #1118 on: April 29, 2016, 04:41:02 pm »
I just brewed my first original recipe with my shiny new cereal killer. IPA with potatoes

11lbs german 2 row pale ale
1lb Caramel 40L
5 grated raw potatoes

1oz centennial 60 min
1oz centennial 15 min
2oz centennial 5 min

Going to dry hop 1 oz citra

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1119 on: April 29, 2016, 04:57:32 pm »
83.3% golden promise
9.5% munich 6L
3.6% uk crystal 45
3.6% simpson's double roasted crystal

~43 IBU
Magnum bittering
EKG/Palisade @ 20 min
EKG/Fuggles @ 5 min
EKG/Palisade dry hop

deciding between US05 and S04 depending on how "English" I want to make it.
Nice. I need to study this some more but sounds really good and kind of in the neighborhood of what I'm imagining for my next foray into this space.

As far as two batches in one day, I would prefer not do it but I have beer fest on Saturday, Mother's Day on Sunday and I have to get these guys ready for a tasting in June.
Totally doable -- just be thoughtful about it. Plenty of coffee and don't do unnecessary work. I tend to have a cleaning "ritual" after my brew day is complete, but when I started thinking about how that would change if I did two brews back to back it would be quite different (and a lot more efficient in some ways).

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #1120 on: April 30, 2016, 10:42:59 am »
Occasionally we're going to run into some kind of problem. When its a total anomaly we just have to pick it up and move on. I'm just impressed that the wort was perfectly fine after 3 days. They might not be beers that I was shooting for, but I learned that my post boil sanitation is great, and I learned not to trust a 5 month old smack pack.
The helles is at 1.008 and the vienna at 1.010. Both smelling/tasting miraculously lager-like. I'll bet this was just a crazy long lag is all.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1121 on: April 30, 2016, 01:48:49 pm »
Occasionally we're going to run into some kind of problem. When its a total anomaly we just have to pick it up and move on. I'm just impressed that the wort was perfectly fine after 3 days. They might not be beers that I was shooting for, but I learned that my post boil sanitation is great, and I learned not to trust a 5 month old smack pack.
The helles is at 1.008 and the vienna at 1.010. Both smelling/tasting miraculously lager-like. I'll bet this was just a crazy long lag is all.
Just about to dry hop my IPA myself. Having a viable plan B has saved many a brewday when it hits the fan...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #1122 on: April 30, 2016, 01:52:38 pm »
Just about to dry hop my IPA myself. Having a viable plan B has saved many a brewday when it hits the fan...
True! I suspect that this would have been fine without the 1056. I'm getting no ale fruity esters at all. They are still a little sulphury but not more than normal at this stage.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1123 on: April 30, 2016, 02:01:34 pm »
Having a viable plan B has saved many a brewday when it hits the fan...

No joke. Keeping a good supply of ingredients on hand has saved my butt quite a few times.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1124 on: April 30, 2016, 03:55:42 pm »
Having a viable plan B has saved many a brewday when it hits the fan...

No joke. Keeping a good supply of ingredients on hand has saved my butt quite a few times.

Especially that packet of dry yeast.  Good to have on hand when needed.