Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421931 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1485 on: October 09, 2016, 08:36:12 am »
5th bee I skimmed out of my boiling wort....errrr little stupid bastads!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1486 on: October 09, 2016, 08:44:37 am »
So, is it a whole bee braggot now?
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1487 on: October 10, 2016, 06:52:19 am »
5th bee I skimmed out of my boiling wort....errrr little stupid bastads!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is why I brew inside... I love brewing outside this time of year, if it weren't for those damn bees though. They really are a nuisance at times. And I wonder if they're even bees. They might be yellow jackets. There is a subtle difference...

I actually didn't brew yesterday, wasn't feeling up to it. I plan to brew tonight. And I said I was doing lodo, but I'm doing hido with flavor splashes and copper. It's an all Vienna malt pale ale. Still plan to keg it with a few gravity points left though. I feel that's made the biggest difference in my process so far.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:54:46 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1488 on: October 10, 2016, 08:41:28 am »
Still plan to keg it with a few gravity points left though. I feel that's made the biggest difference in my process so far.

As a non-kegger, I am trying krausening for the first time later this week to see if I can get that difference with bottled beer. If it turns into a huge PITA and I don't see a significant difference, I likely won't do it in the future. I don't think my wife likes the gallon freezer bags full of hopped wort clogging up the freezer, either.  ???

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1489 on: October 15, 2016, 02:17:18 pm »
Doing my wife's apricot beer tomorrow. I decided to keep it somewhat interesting and use a Dingemann Pils base, along with WY3522. Gonna do the Imperial Rustic saison next weekend.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1490 on: October 15, 2016, 04:50:30 pm »
Doing my wife's apricot beer tomorrow. I decided to keep it somewhat interesting and use a Dingemann Pils base, along with WY3522. Gonna do the Imperial Rustic saison next weekend.

What ferment temps are you planning on using?

Brewing up a Scottish Export tomorrow morning at the crack o' dawn. Building up some yeast for a big Wee Heavy next.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1491 on: October 15, 2016, 04:55:01 pm »

Brewing up a Scottish Export tomorrow morning at the crack o' dawn. Building up some yeast for a big Wee Heavy next.

I like to hold it at 64F for a couple days, then let it rise a couple dF/day. Great yeast. The Export sounds tasty, too!
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1492 on: October 15, 2016, 04:59:33 pm »

I like to hold it at 64F for a couple days, then let it rise a couple dF/day. Great yeast. The Export sounds tasty, too!

Cool.

Yeah, as fall creeps in around here, my palate starts craving more and more malt. Scottish ales and hoppy browns make it happy.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1493 on: October 15, 2016, 05:03:43 pm »

Cool.

Yeah, as fall creeps in around here, my palate starts craving more and more malt. Scottish ales and hoppy browns make it happy.

I'm the same. Gonna do the saison next week, then an APA. But after that, it's Dunkel and Standard Bock.
Jon H.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1494 on: October 15, 2016, 05:39:56 pm »
The plan for tomorrow is to make another lager with the 2308 yeast cake I have.  I'm just using the stuff I have to make something different, so I came up with the following:

OG: 1.046
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.2% (give or take)

4lb Maris Otter
3.6lb Pilsner
1lb Malted Wheat

1oz Styrian Aurora @ 40 min
1oz Mandarina Bavaria @ 1 min

I doubt it will well represent any style, but I think it might taste nice. 

If I get really brave, then I'm going to double batch and also do

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.013
ABV: 4.5%

7.5lb Maris Otter
1lb Flaked Oats
0.5lb C40
0.5lb Malted Wheat

1oz Cascade @ 35 min
2oz Medusa @ whirlpool (10min)
2oz Medusa @ dryhop (2-4 days)

Ferment with WY1968.

Historically, double batching hasn't worked out very well.  We shall see.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:48:43 pm by natebrews »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1495 on: October 16, 2016, 07:59:27 am »
Good luck Nate!  I get it with the double batch thing. Lots of work. Let us know how it goes if you pull it off.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1496 on: October 16, 2016, 10:18:17 am »
Things are already going as expected.  I pumped my sparge water into the mash tun (just putting it on top of the mash to do a quasi no-sparge/batch sparge hybrid) and when it was done I turned off the pump and it siphoned about a gallon of junk from the tun back into the kettle before I realized what was going on.

So all that got cleaned up and I ran off the wort and waited for it to heat..and waited, and waited.  Then I realized I never plugged the boil coil back into the controller. 

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1497 on: October 16, 2016, 10:35:55 am »
Things are already going as expected.  I pumped my sparge water into the mash tun (just putting it on top of the mash to do a quasi no-sparge/batch sparge hybrid) and when it was done I turned off the pump and it siphoned about a gallon of junk from the tun back into the kettle before I realized what was going on.

So all that got cleaned up and I ran off the wort and waited for it to heat..and waited, and waited.  Then I realized I never plugged the boil coil back into the controller.

Lord. You sound like you're having fun. Good luck brother!

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1498 on: October 16, 2016, 10:56:56 am »
And the kids came home from swim practice and proceeded to be monsters, distracting me long enough that it boiled over.  I'm not sure I should attempt that second batch, or maybe this is just getting the chaos out of the way so that one can go fine.

One thing about electric brew systems, you don't get that pile of water hitting hot metal noise that tells you something is wrong, it just quietly boils over in the corner.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1499 on: October 16, 2016, 10:58:42 am »
And the kids came home from swim practice and proceeded to be monsters, distracting me long enough that it boiled over.  I'm not sure I should attempt that second batch, or maybe this is just getting the chaos out of the way so that one can go fine.

One thing about electric brew systems, you don't get that pile of water hitting hot metal noise that tells you something is wrong, it just quietly boils over in the corner.

Of course.  Classic brewday reality. I just finished up mine with both kids in the house, having to help them each try on different potential halloween costumes while trying to finish up the brew. Loads of fun...