Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423261 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1515 on: October 30, 2016, 02:09:22 pm »
Gonna do an attempt at a lodo APA this weekend with the Cleopatra hops I bought a few months back. Will preboil, use a 50 ppm meta dose, utilizing Brewtan as well to hopefully help to negate my copper IC's potential oxidation. Looking forward to the results.

Over and done. Did it no sparge and my strike differential should've been higher, so I mashed a few degrees below target. Disappointing there. As for the stab at lodo brewing :

What I could do - Preboil water, SMB 50ppm (did APA), Brewtan (mash and boil), no sparge, fabricated thick foil mash cap, reduced evaporation rate.

Couldn't do - underlet mash.

Disclosure - being a hopstand fan for American styles, I did one here but on a shorter time frame than normal (20 mins), so that likely negated some of the benefit, we'll see. Also, I chose to vorlauf. But overall, I will say that the lodo comments about the wort having less aroma during mash and boil are absolutely true. And the wort, coming from mostly domestic malts not one where pils malt flavor might jump  out as much better, seemed to have very nice flavor.

So we'll see. I'm curious to see what the final product brings, one way or the other. I plan to give the process a shot on a lager soon so I can judge the impact on German malts.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 04:28:17 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1516 on: October 30, 2016, 02:16:09 pm »
Gonna do an attempt at a lodo APA this weekend with the Cleopatra hops I bought a few months back. Will preboil, use a 50 ppm meta dose, utilizing Brewtan as well to hopefully help to negate my copper IC's potential oxidation. Looking forward to the results.

Over and done. Did it no sparge and my strike differential should've been higher, so I mashed a few degrees below target. Disappointing there. As for the stab at lodo brewing :

What I could do - Preboil water, SMB 50ppm (did APA), Brewtan (mash and boil), no sparge, fabricated thick foil mash cap, reduced evaporation rate.

Couldn't do - underlet mash.

Disclosure - being a hopstand fan for American styles, I did one here but on a shorter time frame than normal (20 mins), so that may have negated some of the benefit, we'll see. Also, I chose to vorlauf. But overall, I will say that the lodo comments about the wort having less aroma during mash and boil are absolutely true. And the wort, while not a helles where the pils malt flavor might seem much better, seemed to have very nice flavor.

So we'll see. I'm curious to see what the final product brings, one way or the other. I plan to give the process a shot on a lager soon so I can judge the impact on German malts.

Jon,
If you didn't underlet the mash, did you just rack the water over to the mash tun instead? 

Kegged up my Scottish Export today and saved slurry for my big Wee Heavy tomorrow. Looking forward to a good brewday AND day off work!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1517 on: October 30, 2016, 02:52:16 pm »
Yep, racked over to the cooler as gently as humanly possible. Not optimal, nor was the hopstand. So undoubtedly, I lowered O2 levels in this batch with what I was able to manage. But is it enough to notice a positive impact? This'll be a good test case for incremental improvement. And the Scottish ales sound great this time of year!
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1518 on: October 30, 2016, 04:50:23 pm »
Yep, racked over to the cooler as gently as humanly possible. Not optimal, nor was the hopstand. So undoubtedly, I lowered O2 levels in this batch with what I was able to manage. But is it enough to notice a positive impact? This'll be a good test case for incremental improvement. And the Scottish ales sound great this time of year!

Yeah, I am leaning towards giving this a shot with at least a few of the techniques just to see where they get me.
You must have lost a good deal of heat from your initial strike temps when you racked to the cooler....

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1519 on: October 30, 2016, 05:00:55 pm »

Yeah, I am leaning towards giving this a shot with at least a few of the techniques just to see where they get me.
You must have lost a good deal of heat from your initial strike temps when you racked to the cooler....

That's what happened - I read some notes on the last time I full batch sparged, and the differential didn't take into account the racking since I was a pourer then. Lesson learned. If this proves not to show any definite improvement , then I'll just put the process on the shelf until the day I have everything I need to do it properly. I am sold on Brewtan's help and plan to make some Brewbrite from Polyclar and whirlfloc to add late boil as well, so that's the back up plan.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1520 on: October 30, 2016, 06:26:29 pm »
I've always had an issue nailing my strike temps in the past, until I realized that there's an easier way being a no sparge brewer. I intentionally overshoot my calculated strike temp, then start to mash in using about 2/3 of my water. Once my temps level out I just add water slowly until I ease up to my target. Any leftover water just gets added prior to boiling. I'm still in range of the 3 qt/lb sweet spot for a mash thickness at that point, even if I still have some mash liquor in reserve.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1521 on: October 30, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »
I've always had an issue nailing my strike temps in the past, until I realized that there's an easier way being a no sparge brewer. I intentionally overshoot my calculated strike temp, then start to mash in using about 2/3 of my water. Once my temps level out I just add water slowly until I ease up to my target. Any leftover water just gets added prior to boiling. I'm still in range of the 3 qt/lb sweet spot for a mash thickness at that point, even if I still have some mash liquor in reserve.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I normally overshoot a few degrees and drop temp with ice cubes if need be. Haven't undershot in a really long time - I despise that. But I batch sparge normally and have that process dialed in tightly. Definitely should've taken into account the extra time needed to gently get the water into the MT, as that was never a concern before. If I can see enough benefit to keep brewing this way with my current capabilities, I can definitely tighten up next time.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1522 on: November 02, 2016, 05:53:01 am »
Ever start heating your strike water and still have no idea what you're going to brew? That's where I am right now. Any brew day is a good day, though :)
Eric B.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #1523 on: November 02, 2016, 06:07:36 am »
Ever start heating your strike water and still have no idea what you're going to brew? That's where I am right now. Any brew day is a good day, though :)
I'm glad I'm not the only seat of my pants brewer here. I see people with spreadsheets of what they will be brewing when and my heart sinks to think of the extent some will go to remove the joy from everything. I know some like to work like that but not me. I'll be brewing later this week for the first time in awhile and don't know yet what it will be. I'll figure it out the day before and go out and get the appropriate yeast and hops. Got plenty of malt to choose.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #1524 on: November 02, 2016, 08:27:57 am »
Right now I have 5 lb of Red X and 1 lb of flaked corn going in a Hockkurz mash. I'm thinking 40 IBU of hop shot, and 2 ox each of Vic Secret, Caliente and Kazbek in the whirlpool, but I'm not committed to anything yet.
Eric B.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1525 on: November 04, 2016, 01:16:30 pm »
Dunkel Kristallweissbier tomorrow.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1526 on: November 04, 2016, 02:48:55 pm »

Yum. That sounds absolutely perfect for the weather we have been having around here lately.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1527 on: November 05, 2016, 06:38:25 am »

Yum. That sounds absolutely perfect for the weather we have been having around here lately.

yeah its good to drink all year. all done at 8:30am with yeast pitched - I woke at 4am so figured mind as well getter'done  ;D
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1528 on: November 05, 2016, 06:55:55 am »
Jesus!  That is amazing. What yeast strain you using for this one?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1529 on: November 05, 2016, 07:19:10 am »
Jesus!  That is amazing. What yeast strain you using for this one?

used wlp320 this time, but wlp380 is typical.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: