Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417345 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1545 on: November 13, 2016, 02:07:35 pm »
Gonna do an attempt at a lodo APA this weekend with the Cleopatra hops I bought a few months back. Will preboil, use a 50 ppm meta dose, utilizing Brewtan as well to hopefully help to negate my copper IC's potential oxidation. Looking forward to the results.

Kegged this up today. It finished a couple points lower than normal with this recipe - no doubt mashing a tad lower than target from the no sparge was the factor since I misjudged my strike temp. Nonetheless, the sample was stellar. Really nice malt and hop character. The beer was very clear which I attribute mostly to using the Brewbrite in boil for the first time. No sulfur noted at all which is good, so definitely gonna stick with the 50ppm SMB for ales. Can't wait to sample this in a few days.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1546 on: November 15, 2016, 02:50:20 pm »
Gonna do an attempt at a lodo APA this weekend with the Cleopatra hops I bought a few months back. Will preboil, use a 50 ppm meta dose, utilizing Brewtan as well to hopefully help to negate my copper IC's potential oxidation. Looking forward to the results.

Kegged this up today. It finished a couple points lower than normal with this recipe - no doubt mashing a tad lower than target from the no sparge was the factor since I misjudged my strike temp. Nonetheless, the sample was stellar. Really nice malt and hop character. The beer was very clear which I attribute mostly to using the Brewbrite in boil for the first time. No sulfur noted at all which is good, so definitely gonna stick with the 50ppm SMB for ales. Can't wait to sample this in a few days.

Great to hear Jon! I am really curious to hear how you think this "lodo" batch compares with your other brewtan beers you have recently brewed.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1547 on: November 15, 2016, 03:57:43 pm »

Great to hear Jon! I am really curious to hear how you think this "lodo" batch compares with your other brewtan beers you have recently brewed.

Gonna sample in a couple days (will be carbed then). Will post my thoughts.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1548 on: November 15, 2016, 07:28:26 pm »

Gonna sample in a couple days (will be carbed then). Will post my thoughts.
Fantastic, Jon. 50mg/l is probably a great place to be for ales. I'm still going to be doing 100mg/l for my lagers though, just for that extra buffer. My system isn't super tight, so I pretty much have to. I might get to brew this weekend, depends if my mill makes it back from Barley Crusher or not. It's been over a month now, 5 weeks actually since I've sent it in. I think it's coming back this week. I had to pay the shipping to send it back. I'm really hoping they replaced the rollers and got it working awesomely.
Jesse

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #1549 on: November 16, 2016, 05:57:30 pm »
Didn't plan on brewing today but I needed to get my holiday beer moving so it will be carbed around Christmas so today became a work/brew day. Today's beer is a partigyle brown ale. Big beer is kind of an imperial brown that will get some rye whisky-soaked oak down the road. The small beer is loosely an American brown ale that will get a tincture of vanilla and cocoa nibs and go into a cask. Well, "cask".

This was my first time attempting to make torrified wheat with a popcorn popper. I felt like the beers needed a toasted element and I have a lot of unmalted wheat on hand. Really simple process and turned out nice. Very toasty and milled much easier. The only downside is having to work a few ounces at a time. I only needed a pound but it would be unreasonable for a larger volume.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline abartelini

• 1st Kit
« Reply #1550 on: November 18, 2016, 07:53:03 am »
About to do a hoppy brown ale this Sunday!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #1551 on: November 18, 2016, 07:55:00 am »
Half way through the mash for a classic British IPA. All MO, EKG.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1552 on: November 18, 2016, 08:15:12 am »
I got my mill back this week, new rollers! So I'm brewing a 3 gallon batch of low O2 helles on Sunday with 833. Haven't brewed with that yeast for years, so very excited for it.
Jesse

The Beerery

What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1553 on: November 19, 2016, 11:35:01 am »
A marzen of the Ayinger type, cause why not.. Shot after alpha rest.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 12:10:31 pm by The Beerery »

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #1554 on: November 19, 2016, 12:20:03 pm »
Brewing something in between an English Brown and a porter. A variation of something I found in Terry Foster's book on porters and stouts.

After the mash it looks more red than the brown I was expecting.

No matter what, it's till beer.
Ralph R.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1555 on: November 19, 2016, 09:43:29 pm »
I'll be brewing an all-grain California Common. WL San Francisco Lager yeast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1556 on: November 19, 2016, 09:45:09 pm »
Not too much crystal... cause too much crystal will kill a true common beer

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1557 on: November 20, 2016, 08:32:01 am »
American Wheat today. Eukanot steep and dry hop. I only had 2 ounces, so planning 1oz steep and 1oz dry hop in 3G batch.
Tasted the hydrometer sample of this one yesterday. Loads different hop flavors. I think I even get some pepper. Very nice.

Also, used Mangrove Jack's West Coast yeast for the first time on this one. Good stuff. Very clean beer. Seems a bit fuller bodied that I expected, which is nice. 80% apparent attenuation. Lag time about 36 hours to krausen.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1558 on: November 20, 2016, 08:34:46 am »
American Wheat today. Eukanot steep and dry hop. I only had 2 ounces, so planning 1oz steep and 1oz dry hop in 3G batch.
Tasted the hydrometer sample of this one yesterday. Loads different hop flavors. I think I even get some pepper. Very nice.

Sounds good! Yeah, it's a tasty hop.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #1559 on: November 20, 2016, 08:52:21 am »
Chilling down "Walden" American Stout. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281