Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417329 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1590 on: December 02, 2016, 01:04:50 pm »
Thanks, I'm really hoping the carafa III doesn't come through too much. Planning to add it at the end of the mash, or halfway through when I add step infusion water. Low oxygen is messing with me. It was easier before when it was ignorance is bliss.

I'm curious to hear how that carafa III comes out here, Jesse. Yeah, the color adjustments still have me scratching my head. I'm probably headed to Sinamar for that in low O2 beers unless I hear that these small additions can work. Yeah, kinda changes the ballgame, huh?

Definitely does change things. I'm either going to quit brewing dark beers since I don't drink them much anyway or get some sinamar, which isn't available everywhere. I'm thinking adding at mashout or before running off should work fine as a temporary fix though.

Yeah, hopefully so. Honestly I'm wondering if brewing porter and stout (or any roasty beer) non-lodostyle  is the way to go. If the roast is amplified that much in malts like midnight wheat and carafa in lodo, then I can't see how to make a roasty stout work otherwise. Roasted malts are high in antioxidants. Maybe it's the answer for dark, roasty beers.

I think it wold be interesting to compare dark beers brewed LODO to the more traditional home brewing methods.  Myself, I don't need to add angst to my brew day.  Kind of defeats the purpose.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Big Monk

« Reply #1591 on: December 02, 2016, 01:08:17 pm »
Thanks, I'm really hoping the carafa III doesn't come through too much. Planning to add it at the end of the mash, or halfway through when I add step infusion water. Low oxygen is messing with me. It was easier before when it was ignorance is bliss.

I'm curious to hear how that carafa III comes out here, Jesse. Yeah, the color adjustments still have me scratching my head. I'm probably headed to Sinamar for that in low O2 beers unless I hear that these small additions can work. Yeah, kinda changes the ballgame, huh?

Definitely does change things. I'm either going to quit brewing dark beers since I don't drink them much anyway or get some sinamar, which isn't available everywhere. I'm thinking adding at mashout or before running off should work fine as a temporary fix though.

Yeah, hopefully so. Honestly I'm wondering if brewing porter and stout (or any roasty beer) non-lodostyle  is the way to go. If the roast is amplified that much in malts like midnight wheat and carafa in lodo, then I can't see how to make a roasty stout work otherwise. Roasted malts are high in antioxidants. Maybe it's the answer for dark, roasty beers.

When you stop and think about, the roasted malts added to beers like stout and porter are more for flavor than color. Backing off the roasted malts in percentage should still maintain the color of the beers. In that sense you aren't really changing the recipe all that much.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1592 on: December 02, 2016, 01:40:08 pm »
I think it wold be interesting to compare dark beers brewed LODO to the more traditional home brewing methods.  Myself, I don't need to add angst to my brew day.  Kind of defeats the purpose.

I'd like to compare, too. Don't get me wrong - I'm a laid back brewer. Just thinking out loud on connecting lodo to dark beers. Only one way to find out, huh?  :)
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #1593 on: December 02, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »

When you stop and think about, the roasted malts added to beers like stout and porter are more for flavor than color. Backing off the roasted malts in percentage should still maintain the color of the beers. In that sense you aren't really changing the recipe all that much.
Yeah, I'd think you could just back off on the amounts for porter and stout and still get the best results.

I'd like to compare, too. Don't get me wrong - I'm a laid back brewer. Just thinking out loud on connecting lodo to dark beers. Only one way to find out, huh?  :)
I'm just thinking that, at this point, I'd like all my beers to be brewed low O2 just for consistency sake. And it just feels pure. So, it's like learning to brew all over again, which makes it both fun and stressful at the same time. Just like any learning process.
Jesse

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1594 on: December 04, 2016, 04:51:32 pm »
Brewed up a Helles.  Tried doing it LODO style but calamities got in the way.  The mash cap sank during the sparge and got stuck in the tun and made for great problems.  Efficiency was very low, not entirely sure why.  I was expecting an OG of 1.052, but got 1.044.  I forgot to check my mash temp, but I think that it might have been lower than it should have been.  Not sure how I would adjust the temp in a single infusion and a LODO type process (or pH or anything else for that matter).  It looks like you just have to get it all right ahead and infuse and be spot on.  Granted, that is doable if you are doing the same thing repeatedly on a consistent system.

Anyway, today's recipe is using Ultra hops for the first time.  I grabbed a pound of them during a black friday sale,  first time I've tried them.

10lb Weyermann Pils

0.5oz Ultra @ 60
0.5oz Ultra @ 10

Wyeast 2124

I also tried skimming the hot break material off the top.   
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1595 on: December 05, 2016, 02:50:27 pm »
Brewed up a Helles.  Tried doing it LODO style but calamities got in the way.  The mash cap sank during the sparge and got stuck in the tun and made for great problems.  Efficiency was very low, not entirely sure why.  I was expecting an OG of 1.052, but got 1.044.  I forgot to check my mash temp, but I think that it might have been lower than it should have been.  Not sure how I would adjust the temp in a single infusion and a LODO type process (or pH or anything else for that matter).  It looks like you just have to get it all right ahead and infuse and be spot on.  Granted, that is doable if you are doing the same thing repeatedly on a consistent system.

Anyway, today's recipe is using Ultra hops for the first time.  I grabbed a pound of them during a black friday sale,  first time I've tried them.

10lb Weyermann Pils

0.5oz Ultra @ 60
0.5oz Ultra @ 10

Wyeast 2124

I also tried skimming the hot break material off the top.

Keep us posted with your take on this one. Curious what you think with the 100% pils malt and LODO combo.

Brewed up an American Brown today. 4.5 hrs done and cleaned up. Gotta love a Monday off.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1596 on: December 06, 2016, 08:48:58 am »
Dunkel is on my list of beers to tackle.  I got my hands on a package of wlp838 to build up for a starter.  This has been the idea kicking around in my head:

50/50 Vienna/Munich base
1# Dark Munich
.25# Carafa II or Midnight Wheat

Hops - Kazbek (I need to try it, and its a kicked up saaz)

I don't think it needs any crystal malts, thoughts?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

The Beerery

« Reply #1597 on: December 06, 2016, 08:54:31 am »
Dunkel is on my list of beers to tackle.  I got my hands on a package of wlp838 to build up for a starter.  This has been the idea kicking around in my head:

50/50 Vienna/Munich base
1# Dark Munich
.25# Carafa II or Midnight Wheat

Hops - Kazbek (I need to try it, and its a kicked up saaz)

I don't think it needs any crystal malts, thoughts?

your recipe guidelines are as follows:

Number in () is the color of the malt used in EBC, next number is the %. You basically have 3 options. FYI Only festival beers( festbier and Oktoberfest) get Vienna

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1598 on: December 06, 2016, 08:59:47 am »
?'s
Dark Malt = Dark Munich
Pale Malt = 2row or Pils?
Coloured Malt = Carafa
Brumalt = Melanoidin
CaraDunkel = ? Cara Amber ?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

The Beerery

« Reply #1599 on: December 06, 2016, 09:04:08 am »
?'s
Dark Malt = Dark Munich
Pale Malt = 2row or Pils?
Coloured Malt = Carafa
Brumalt = Melanoidin
CaraDunkel = ? Cara Amber ?

Dark malt (15ebc/7srm) light munich
Dark malt (25ebc/12srm) dark munich
Pale malt (3.5ebc/1.75srm) pilsner
Colored malt (any of the carafa's you chose)
Brumalt =Melanoidin
Caradunkel(120ebc/60srm) Caramunich III usually.

1.050-52
20-22 IBU, NO LATE HOPS. I use 60 and 45.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:08:31 am by The Beerery »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1600 on: December 09, 2016, 04:16:25 pm »
Finally getting around to kegging up a Flanders Red that is 17 mos old. The last 3-4 mos it has been aging on french oak that was soaked in cabernet sauvignon. Small pellicle on very top is just slightly breaking apart. Time to package it up! 

Haven't had a sour beer in the rotation for about 2 yrs now. Used to brew many, but got sick of them. Hopefully this one will turn me back on to them. I intentionally went a bit heavier on the caramalts in hopes that the acidity would be better balanced out by some residual sweetness on the finish.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1601 on: December 12, 2016, 12:15:14 pm »
Gonna brew a pale ale tonight. Mostly Vienna, maybe a little something else, cascade/centennial, 1028 yeast. I like weeknight brew sessions, especially when it's cold as ballz out. Warms up the haus nicely.
Jesse

Offline Peculiar Thomas

• 1st Kit
  • Just a Peculiar Character
    • Of a Peculiar Character
« Reply #1602 on: December 12, 2016, 02:12:21 pm »
Just kegged my old ale this past weekend, from a Beer & Craft Brewing article. Going to make a Scottish double brown stout this upcoming weekend, from a somewhat recent post on Shut Up about Barclay Perkins.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1603 on: December 14, 2016, 06:48:22 am »
I'm thinking of doing a 5 gallon batch of either kellerbier (inspired by Weihenstephaner 1516) or a Dortmunder (DAB). Supposed to be a high of -4F on Sunday, so it may be a good day to brew and warm the haus up some more.
Jesse

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1604 on: December 17, 2016, 10:20:16 am »
Mashing now...

42% 2-row
42% Pilsner
1% Honey malt
15% Clover Honey at Flameout
22 IBU Magnum @ 60 min
0.25 oz Magnum at Flameout (3G batch)
American Lager yeast

I'm calling at American Craft Lager, for lack of a better name.