Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423293 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1605 on: December 17, 2016, 12:14:48 pm »
Mashing now...

42% 2-row
42% Pilsner
1% Honey malt
15% Clover Honey at Flameout
22 IBU Magnum @ 60 min
0.25 oz Magnum at Flameout (3G batch)
American Lager yeast

I'm calling at American Craft Lager, for lack of a better name.

That sounds pretty interesting. Do you think the actual honey addition will come through with the use of the lager yeast?

Offline tommymorris

What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #1606 on: December 17, 2016, 12:23:23 pm »
Mashing now...

42% 2-row
42% Pilsner
1% Honey malt
15% Clover Honey at Flameout
22 IBU Magnum @ 60 min
0.25 oz Magnum at Flameout (3G batch)
American Lager yeast

I'm calling at American Craft Lager, for lack of a better name.

That sounds pretty interesting. Do you think the actual honey addition will come through with the use of the lager yeast?
In my experience Honey never adds more than a slight flowery taste and that may be my imagination. I added 1% honey malt to give the beer a fighting chance of having honey flavor.

Honey will dry out the beer though which should promote crispness.

The truth is, I bought a big bottle of honey at Costco and I am trying to use it up.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:02:11 pm by alestateyall »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1607 on: December 17, 2016, 01:42:17 pm »
Cool. Let us know how it turns out. Bet that recipe pairs well with that yeast too.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #1608 on: December 20, 2016, 02:14:29 pm »

Munich Dunkel today. I'm very excited about this one because it's the first time using Barke Munich Malt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1609 on: December 20, 2016, 04:03:04 pm »
I'm very excited about this one because it's the first time using Barke Munich Malt.

Great malts. I'm brewing one soon.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1610 on: December 22, 2016, 07:27:54 am »
I'm gonna brew a couple beers over my xmas break here, Monday and Tuesday I hope. First beer will be a Kellerbier in the vein of Weihenstephaner 1516 (not that it'll taste like it sadly...but I'm trying) and the second beer a pale ale with chinook and simcoe. I'm starting to narrow down the recipes I want to brew with regularity to about 5 or 6. I think I'm past that phase of brewing where I just want to brew EVERYTHING.  :)
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1611 on: December 22, 2016, 08:25:22 am »
I'm starting to narrow down the recipes I want to brew with regularity to about 5 or 6. I think I'm past that phase of brewing where I just want to brew EVERYTHING.  :)

I'm feeling the same lately. I've brewed a ton of styles over the years (~ 40) but I'm down to around 10 that I really like best and want to try work on for a while. I'd rather brew 10 great ones than 40 good ones at this point.
Jon H.

Offline Peculiar Thomas

• 1st Kit
  • Just a Peculiar Character
    • Of a Peculiar Character
« Reply #1612 on: December 22, 2016, 08:56:58 am »
Last weekend I just brewed a Scottish double brown stout based on Ron Pattinson's re-creation of Younger's DBS. http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2016/08/lets-brew-1949-william-younger-btlg-dbs.html I used black treacle in place of the caramel and changed the hop schedule to my taste. I used an ounce of cluster for first wort and 2.5 ounces of bramling cross in the whirlpool. Primary already seems to have tapered off, I should pull a sample.

After I get back from travel, the first non-Holiday weekend of the new year, I plan to make a recipe built off of a Kentucky common. I added a bit over a pound of caramel rye, I loved that malt in a bitter I made this past year. The base malt is a locally grown and malted six year that I was very fortunate to receive for a new maltster on the promise of some feedback on how their malt. I have enough to make another beer a few weeks after this one and am thinking maybe a cream ale.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1613 on: December 22, 2016, 09:55:18 am »
I'm starting to narrow down the recipes I want to brew with regularity to about 5 or 6. I think I'm past that phase of brewing where I just want to brew EVERYTHING.  :)

I'm feeling the same lately. I've brewed a ton of styles over the years (~ 40) but I'm down to around 10 that I really like best and want to try work on for a while. I'd rather brew 10 great ones than 40 good ones at this point.
Agreed. Mine aren't there yet, too much sulfur...you were smart to start low on the SMB dosage. 100ppm was WAY TOO HIGH for me. I'm wanting to cut it in half if not 75%. I'd rather accept a little flavor loss than sulfur.

Now I'm thinking about getting a nitro setup, so I'll need to maybe add a couple more to the line up for that. Thinking I'd probably have black IPA, bitter, and maybe dry stout on almost all the time.
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1614 on: December 23, 2016, 05:06:48 pm »

Now I'm thinking about getting a nitro setup, so I'll need to maybe add a couple more to the line up for that. Thinking I'd probably have black IPA, bitter, and maybe dry stout on almost all the time.

Man, a black IPA on nitro?  That sounds delicious, and I am not even a huge fan of the style. Totally.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1615 on: December 28, 2016, 07:25:01 pm »
It was a long brew day today, but I got a double batch of Dunkel in. The first was done my old traditional way, (ie., Narziss style ramped up fermentation schedule) with a copper chiller, where the second was done low O2 - trifecta (SMB/AA/BTB) in mash, mash cap, reduced evaporation, SS chiller, and will be fermented cool with no ramp. Same exact grist, same strain (2206), same mash pH, and both hit exactly 1.052 OG which is huge since I brewed these for comparison. The former will be force carbed, the latter spunded. Plans are to do a triangle and get some solid feedback. The tasters will be brewer friends with good palates. Looking forward to seeing the results, whatever they are. Pics and results to come.

Edit - I'll say that the wort samples were markedly different. The low O2 wort had far more malt complexity and depth. As that applies to the final beers and my comrades opinions, we'll see.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:42:48 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #1616 on: December 28, 2016, 07:37:18 pm »
I just picked up the ingredients for a double brew day on Monday, which is a day off for me.

I am going to do a 100% Galaxy red IPA with 66% Red-X and 33% two row. While that is mashing, I am going to make a 30-minute boil APA with Rye LME and Pilsen Light DME, Bittered with Columbus, and then late hopped with Eukanot and Cascade.

If everything goes as planned, I should have 2 batches done in about 1hr longer than I make one batch. I need to get the keezer full again.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1617 on: December 28, 2016, 07:44:03 pm »
I just picked up the ingredients for a double brew day on Monday, which is a day off for me.

I am going to do a 100% Galaxy red IPA with 66% Red-X and 33% two row. While that is mashing, I am going to make a 30-minute boil APA with Rye LME and Pilsen Light DME, Bittered with Columbus, and then late hopped with Eukanot and Cascade.

If everything goes as planned, I should have 2 batches done in about 1hr longer than I make one batch. I need to get the keezer full again.

Both sound great.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #1618 on: December 28, 2016, 07:46:39 pm »
It was a long brew day today, but I got a double batch of Dunkel in. The first was done my old traditional way, (ie., Narziss style ramped up fermentation schedule) with a copper chiller, where the second was done low O2 - trifecta (SMB/AA/BTB) in mash, mash cap, reduced evaporation, SS chiller, and will be fermented cool with no ramp. Same exact grist, same strain (2206), same mash pH, and both hit exactly 1.052 OG which is huge since I brewed these for comparison. The former will be force carbed, the latter spunded. Plans are to do a triangle and get some solid feedback. The tasters will be brewer friends with good palates. Looking forward to seeing the results, whatever they are. Pics and results to come.

Edit - I'll say that the wort samples were markedly different. The low O2 wort had far more malt complexity and depth. As that applies to the final beers and my comrades opinions, we'll see.
Nice, looking forward to the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1619 on: December 28, 2016, 08:00:03 pm »
I can't decide between a few different beers.  Maybe I'll do 2. 

First Pale Ale with some combination of El Dorado, Zythos, Cascade, Columbus, and Azacca.
Seconds Pale Ale focused on zythos/cascade/columbus
Czech Pilsner with Ultra and Aurora hops

My plan is to do LODO methods for whatever I make in an attempt to dial in the process (since I'm not too happy with the last 3).  Not exactly sure how I'll handle the dry hopping, probably put it in the spunding keg inside some bags.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.