Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423290 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1680 on: January 14, 2017, 12:07:16 pm »
Helles
96% Barke Pils
4% Carahell
19 IBU

Mill drove me crazy this morning. Would not turn. Emptied and cleared rollers like 6 times. Loosened gap and redid that. Nothing was working. Finally, worked after so many tries.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:09:37 pm by alestateyall »

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1681 on: January 15, 2017, 10:43:16 am »
Today is Charlie Papazian's Samuel Adams Scottish Ale in this month's Zymugy. My lhbs does not carry peat smoked malt, so I subbed two ounces of Rauch malt. I will also do a single infusion rather than a step mash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1682 on: January 15, 2017, 02:30:14 pm »
Gonna do a low O2 AIPA, Galaxy/Citra/Cleopatra. Really curious to see how the hop character comes out under this format. Sure was nice for the APA. After this, lagers for awhile (I think).

Brewed it up, went pretty smoothly overall. Haven't brewed an IPA in a year so it was nice to brew a really hopped up beer. My house recipe is pretty pale, but it practically looks like a helles brewed lodo. The lightening of the wort and beer is definitely a thing, aside from the other aspects. Can't wait to try it.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #1683 on: January 16, 2017, 10:41:42 am »
Gonna do a low O2 AIPA, Galaxy/Citra/Cleopatra. Really curious to see how the hop character comes out under this format. Sure was nice for the APA. After this, lagers for awhile (I think).

Brewed it up, went pretty smoothly overall. Haven't brewed an IPA in a year so it was nice to brew a really hopped up beer. My house recipe is pretty pale, but it practically looks like a helles brewed lodo. The lightening of the wort and beer is definitely a thing, aside from the other aspects. Can't wait to try it.
Wow, I'm surprised it's been a year since you've brewed an IPA. How long was your brew session?
Jesse

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #1684 on: January 16, 2017, 10:55:23 am »
Eisbock the original method! Fortunately it was a German Helles Exportbier. I got 5 gallons out of 6 and it was 5.5% so I'm guessing this will be about 6.5%. Not big enough for competition, but it will be fun to see how it turned out.

You guys will implode over this.

I tapped the one that I used crystal hops on. It was too strong for my tastes, at least to have 4 gallons of... so, I opened the keg, opened a new gallon of distilled and gently poured it in to the 5 gallon mark. Rocked it a little and reattached the co2. It's surprisingly tasty now. I suspect it will be gone before the news paper kicks in.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:49:24 am by klickitat jim »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1685 on: January 16, 2017, 11:22:37 am »

Wow, I'm surprised it's been a year since you've brewed an IPA. How long was your brew session?

I've gotten to where I prefer a hoppy pale ale most times, but I do love good IPAs (non-sweet ones, ie., mine and a few others). It took 5 hrs 55 mins including cleanup. Decided to do a 30 minute hopstand but used a mash cap for it. Gonna dry hop in the spund. Looking forward to see how that comes out.
Jon H.

Offline Peculiar Thomas

• 1st Kit
  • Just a Peculiar Character
    • Of a Peculiar Character
« Reply #1686 on: January 16, 2017, 03:02:17 pm »
This weekend I am making a wee heavy. It is a scaled up version of a 80/- I've made for years. My plan is to bulk age it at least six months and finish on oak and add a splash of Scotch. The idea is based on my favorite way to enjoy the smaller version of the beer, chasing a dram of a nice single malt.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #1687 on: January 17, 2017, 08:36:39 am »
Brew day tomorrow is a Festbier and a Helles. The Festbier is the same recipe as my German Helles Exportbier, but I just altered the water a bit and renamed it Festbier. As to the Helles, I had decided that I really didn't care that much for the style and wasn't going to brew them anymore. I contemplated a Cream Ale, with lager yeast... but no corn because I'm not a fan... and with German ingredients... in other words a Helles.

I'm using 2206 this time just for fun. And just for fun I'm going to do my normal 1L oxygenated starter with the Festbier, and on the Helles I'm going to see if a smacked pack with no starter works. I suspect it totally will.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:40:32 am by klickitat jim »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #1688 on: January 17, 2017, 08:45:17 am »
Brew day tomorrow is a Festbier and a Helles. The Festbier is the same recipe as my German Helles Exportbier, but I just altered the water a bit and renamed it Festbier. As to the Helles, I had decided that I really didn't care that much for the style and wasn't going to brew them anymore. I contemplated a Cream Ale, with lager yeast... but no corn because I'm not a fan... and with German ingredients... in other words a Helles.

I'm using 2206 this time just for fun. And just for fun I'm going to do my normal 1L oxygenated starter with the Festbier, and on the Helles I'm going to see if a smacked pack with no starter works. I suspect it totally will.

So you are brewing a Helles even though you decided not to brew them anymore?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #1689 on: January 17, 2017, 09:04:11 am »
Yup

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #1690 on: January 21, 2017, 12:58:36 pm »
Brewing a Southern Cross, Meridian, Casdade APA today.  The Meridan pellets smell like bubblegum.  Hope they don't taste like bubblegum.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1691 on: January 21, 2017, 02:08:10 pm »
The weather this weekend isn't good for brewing, so I'm making some sterile starter wort. Knowledge of basic canning procedures is helpful, but not necessary if you have never done it. It is very easy, and you can do it on the stove top. Beats dragging out the burner!

3lbs light extract (DME or LME, your choice)
.5 oz low-alpha hops. I have some leftover Tettnang I'm using.

The hops are not absolutely necessary, but since hops are somewhat anti-bacterial, the hops provide an extra measure of protection, just like in beer.

12 1-quart canning jars with rings and lids. Ball is the major manufacturer of jars.
5 gallon boil kettle. I have a cheap thin-walled kettle that I use only for heating sparge water, and of course this purpose as well.
Oven mitts or gloves. You are going to be handling extremely hot jars, so be safe. One of those canning jar grabbers is helpful too; they are usually right next to the canning supplies in the store.

Wash the jars, rings, and lids. You do not need to sanitize them. Canning has been around a lot longer than Star-San.

Add extract to 3.5 gallons of water and bring to a boil. Add hops and boil for 15 minutes. This step is no different than brewing an extract beer. I use a metal-mesh reusable coffee filter for drip coffee makers to skim the hop debris from the surface of the wort. Your finished wort will have a specific gravity of around 1.040.

Fill the jars with hot wort. You do not need to cool and whirlpool. Place the lids on the jars, and screw the rings on to just barely snug. Wash your kettle, place the jars inside, and add enough hot water from the tap to bring the level of water to just under the rings on the jars. Bring the water to just just under a boil, and simmer the jars for a minimum of 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the simmering water bath, and tighten the rings finger tight.

As the jars cool, the decreasing temperature will cause the wort to decrease in volume, creating a vacuum that will cause the lids to pop inward. Make absolutely sure that each lid pops. Store at room temperature. As with all canned products, they do not need to be refrigerated.

Please note that you cannot simply add the wort to sanitized jars. Canning requires sterilization, hence the need for a minimum 15 minute simmer after the jars are filled. This step will kill any little critters that might be hanging out in the jars. If you don't do this step, the wort will spoil within a week.

Shazam! 12 quarts of sterile starter wort ready to go, ready to make from 6 to 12 starters! When you are ready to make a starter wort, simply remove the rings and pop the lids off with a bottle opener or the back of a butter knife. Pour into your starter flask or what have you (I use a 1 gallon glass jug), and add yeast. There will be a little bit of trub on the bottom of the jars, and that's ok. Pour it all in the starter vessel. Remember that you are making yeast starter wort, not brewing beer, so the little bit of trub and hops are not going to have any effect.

Mistakes can happen on your first couple of tries, just like anything else. Do not under any circumstances use a jar of wort that has a lid that has popped outward! This is a sure sign of spoilage and botulism, a killer.

The jars and rings are reusable. Do not reuse a lid. They are single-use only. 

Just as a side note, this little project is unusually fun for me. When I was young, my grandmother used to can all kinds of stuff, especially strawberry jam. There is a song on Michelle Shocked's album Arkansas Traveler called "Strawberry Jam," and that song is an accurate description of Saturday morning jam making. I learned how to can when I was only 10 or 11, with adult supervision of course.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1692 on: January 21, 2017, 02:17:10 pm »
I hate to be a downer, but to can that material don't you need to use a pressure cooker to get it up above 250F in order to kill all the mold spores that may exist in it?  Specifically, botulism spores that will live and grow when living under vacuum  (as produced when the sealed jars cool).

I think boiling only works for acidic things below a certain pH (4 maybe?). 

Just a thought, I don't want you to die.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1693 on: January 21, 2017, 02:26:50 pm »
Nope. Canning existed long before pressure cookers. I've been doing this for years, and I'm still alive.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #1694 on: January 21, 2017, 02:34:34 pm »
Nope. Canning existed long before pressure cookers. I've been doing this for years, and I'm still alive.

Foods above 4.6pH should be pressure canned so they can reach a temp of 240°. One would likely be ok if bath canned and used quickly, but the risk is still there.