Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 422050 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1800 on: March 15, 2017, 03:11:05 pm »
Brewed a Munich Dunkel with a small amount of sinimar for coloring. Nailed my OG at 1.052, but pH was slightly low. As always still tightening up the system and process.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1801 on: March 18, 2017, 10:06:59 am »
Trying yet another pale ale.  Using lots of rye and wheat, classic hops.  The hops in the bowls next to me smell quite good.

3lb Rye Malt
3lb Wheat Malt
4lb Maris Otter

1oz Cascade @ 30
2oz Cascade @ 5
2oz Columbus @ 5

Harvested 1968 with a starter to get it going.

I'm ditching the ascorbic acid on this brew.  I have had this slight aftertaste (far after) in all of the ones that I made with AA in it, which I can't directly attribute to the AA as I have no idea why it would do that.  Just going strait SMB on this one to see if that aftertaste is gone or if I'm getting it from something else.

Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline heavydeadlifts01

• 1st Kit
« Reply #1802 on: March 18, 2017, 11:20:11 am »
Brewed an ESB this morning and also kegged an all Mosaic IPA....now enjoying the MIPA

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1803 on: March 18, 2017, 05:36:59 pm »
Cali common tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
« Reply #1804 on: March 19, 2017, 06:30:28 am »
I'm Back!!!  I haven't brewed since August,l with my work taking up all of my time and being just too worn out to do anything, but I have missed the brewing.  So, this morning I mashed in at 8:00AM on a batch of my Gizzy Face APA.  I am hoping this batch turns out as good as the last one that was a 1st. place winner.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline tommymorris

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1805 on: March 19, 2017, 01:01:01 pm »
Brewed an American Amber this morning. Simcoe + Centennial at flameout and dry. WLP041 Pacific Ale yeast.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:06:03 pm by alestateyall »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1806 on: March 19, 2017, 03:48:21 pm »
Today I am brewing my first attempt at the New England IPA, a style I haven't even tasted.  But, I am a notorious bandwagon brewer.

OG 1.068, 10 gallons

16 lbs. Briess Brewers Malt (2-row pale)
8 lbs. Munton's Maris Otter (2-row pale ale)
3.5 lbs. quick rolled oats
2 lbs. spelt flakes
2 lbs. Simpson's Golden Naked Oats
1 lb. Weyermann Caravienne.

Mash-in at 148°F for 90 min. Batch sparge. Add 2 tsp CaCl, 2 tsp CaSO4. Boil for 60 min.

0.5 oz. Sorachi Ace (FWH)
4 oz. Amarillo 5 min
1.5 oz. Centennial 5 min
0.75 oz. Equinox 5 min
0.75 oz. El Dorado 5 min
3 oz. Mosaic Steep at 180°F
1.5 oz. Euqinox Steep at 180°F
1.5 oz. El Dorado Steep at 180°F
1 oz. Amarillo Steep at 180°F

To be split between WY1272 American Ale II and WY1318 London Ale III. Dry hopping will be two additions, 5 days each, 4 oz. per keg, a mix of Mosaic, El Dorado, and Equinox, with a little Amarillo and Centennial available for makeup hops if I don't have enough. P.S. This beer is expensive!

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1807 on: March 19, 2017, 07:45:54 pm »
Brewed an American Amber this morning. Simcoe + Centennial at flameout and dry. WLP041 Pacific Ale yeast.

I'm planning on doing something very similar in a couple of months. I haven't used 041 before but am looking forward to it. Have you had success with it before?
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1808 on: March 19, 2017, 07:59:34 pm »

I'm planning on doing something very similar in a couple of months. I haven't used 041 before but am looking forward to it. Have you had success with it before?
I recently made a British Golden Ale that was 100% Golden Promise plus Amarillo at flame out and WLP041. I really liked that beer. I thought the fruity yeast flavors blended well with the hops. Plus, I thought the beer had nice fullness/body for a 1050 OG beer.

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1809 on: March 20, 2017, 08:30:11 pm »

I recently made a British Golden Ale that was 100% Golden Promise plus Amarillo at flame out and WLP041. I really liked that beer. I thought the fruity yeast flavors blended well with the hops. Plus, I thought the beer had nice fullness/body for a 1050 OG beer.

Good to know--thanks. I'm looking forward to trying it myself.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1810 on: March 20, 2017, 08:56:18 pm »
Transferred that rye/wheat/MO pale ale to the spunding keg.  Quick fermentation, pitched it at 4pm on Saturday and it was already down at 3-4 points above terminal (so, about 2.25 days). Added a bit of corn sugar too to ensure that it carbonates up enough.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1811 on: March 21, 2017, 12:14:55 pm »
Transferred that rye/wheat/MO pale ale to the spunding keg.  Quick fermentation, pitched it at 4pm on Saturday and it was already down at 3-4 points above terminal (so, about 2.25 days). Added a bit of corn sugar too to ensure that it carbonates up enough.

Nate, are you just taking hydrometer samples for this or do you have any easier way to sample out of your fermenter?

And, how did you go about adding the corn sugar back to this? Boiled, cooled, then into keg?  Or boiled, then directly into keg? Just wondering what route you took.  Thanks...

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1812 on: March 21, 2017, 12:23:22 pm »
I measure a sample when I put it in and then I measure it when I put it into the keg.   I judge where it is based on the fermentation activity and how fast things have been moving.  It isn't exact, but I have hit it close to 4 points over terminal (+/- 2) each time.  Basically, after the krausen I watch a bit more careful and when things "seem right" I transfer it. 

This is all because I don't have a good sampling method.  I have a thief, but I don't like using it.

For the sugar, I boiled it in 1.75oz of water and then injected into the keg hot.  I was attempting to avoid oxygen pickup, and the hot liquid won't hold it so well...and maybe I didn't want to wait.

After I put it in I gave the keg a couple turns over to mix it up.  I put on the spunding valve and off it goes.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1813 on: March 23, 2017, 11:07:33 am »
Brewing some pilsner today.

95% Weyermann pils
5% Weyermann carahell

1oz Aurora @ 40min
1oz Ultra @ 5min

Wyeast 2206. 

I have been using 2124 for my lagers for a long while now (maybe 2 years), but others seem to like 2206 so I'm going back to try that.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1814 on: March 23, 2017, 11:55:28 am »
Tomorrow, my kicka$$ American Stout. Next Thursday, an Imperial Rustic saison late hopped with Lemon Drop.
Jon H.