Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423388 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1905 on: May 21, 2017, 03:23:02 pm »
The beauty of this one is that I am actually looking for some yeast and haze in the beer.

No problem there with spunding.  ;D  I'm sure it'll be great.
Jon H.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1906 on: May 21, 2017, 03:35:01 pm »
Made a Weiss beer as well this weekend.  Used 3056, pils, wheat, carahell, and a pinch of Ultra hops.  I'm excited to see if this is a weiss I actually like.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #1907 on: May 21, 2017, 05:32:25 pm »
Made a Weiss beer as well this weekend.  Used 3056, pils, wheat, carahell, and a pinch of Ultra hops.  I'm excited to see if this is a weiss I actually like.

Did you hit your OG on yours?  Whenever I use a large portion of wheat malt (>50%) I tend to see about a 10% dropoff in efficiency when doing single infusion mashes. I think I should have stirred the mash gently a bit more after I took a pH reading at 30 minutes.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #1908 on: May 21, 2017, 05:49:19 pm »
I did a 3 step mash and hit the OG right on using a 68% efficiency with no-sparge (3 infusions; 5gal, 1.5gal, 1.5gal).  OG was 1.052, we'll see how the FG ends up.  I did 20 minutes at 148, 35min at 162, then 10min at 170.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #1909 on: May 22, 2017, 08:13:55 am »
Brewed a kyut this weekend. Long brew day.  Spent a large part of my brewday taking turns chasing step temps on my mash tun and temps on my smoker while making some pastrami.  Had to deal with my first stuck sparge.   Spilled a bunch of grains and wort all over my kitchen floor and cabinets. Had to brew in my front yard because our back yard is torn up and had a few people drive by leering at me as if I would actually be cooking meth in my driveway.  At the some point everything evened out, I still hit my numbers and I had 10 lbs of pastrami. It was still a great day. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:27:04 am by Delo »
Mark

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1910 on: May 25, 2017, 12:04:34 am »
Just put an APA to bed (and soon will do the same with myself--it's the wee hours as I write): nothing fancy except that I use Irish Ale malt and Irish Ale yeast (along with some Munich, Crystal 20, EKG and Cascade). I've brewed twice now within a week--after a two month layoff: great to be at it again.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
« Reply #1911 on: May 27, 2017, 10:00:03 am »
Just about to finish a Grissette, also going to be doing a SMaSH sometime this weekend. Getting lots of help from the brew dog!

- Josh P

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
« Reply #1912 on: May 30, 2017, 06:49:02 am »
Brewed a dandelion saison on Sunday. First time I've used an ingredient like that so we'll see how it goes.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1913 on: June 10, 2017, 01:58:59 pm »
Brewing a brown ale today, IPA scheduled for tomorrow.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #1914 on: June 10, 2017, 04:56:29 pm »
Brewed a classic amber Ale today - rough day though.  CFC clogged during chilling and had to blow out a plug of hops.  Decided to bring back up to a boil to make sure I got everything.  Luckily hadn't put in my whirlpool hops yet, but lost a half gallon of so.  Hopefully turns out well.

Brewing a witbier with Meyer lemon zest tomorrow.  Looking forward to that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1915 on: June 10, 2017, 05:14:14 pm »
Just about to finish a Grissette, also going to be doing a SMaSH sometime this weekend. Getting lots of help from the brew dog!

- Josh P

Great brew dog! Here's my brew dog, Jack. A Black Lab/German Shorthaired Pointer mix. I've had dogs all my life and he's the best dog I've ever seen - smart, funny as hell, sweet, and a little ornery. :) Dogs rock.

Edit - The damn dog groomer loves to put ties on the dogs after they're done. My wife had to snap a pic.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 05:16:42 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1916 on: June 10, 2017, 06:28:50 pm »
Brewed a dry Irish stout yesterday, and the action has started in the fermenter. Once bottled, will summer it in the cellar and enjoy it in the fall. In August, I hope to brew a nut brown ale and some porter--so the stout will be part of this dark spectrum.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #1917 on: June 15, 2017, 11:01:36 pm »
Tuesday I collected 14 gal of wort designed for the AHA recipe for early version of Blind Pig, and split it between two kettles -- one for a 5-gal batch of Blind Pig clone, the other for a 5-gal batch of an IPA I came up with that has Azacca, Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic (late-loaded -- FWH, 10, 5, 0 and 30-min hop stand).  All went pretty well and I got my volume and hit the target OG, but I should have started with 1 - 2 more gal of wort total.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1918 on: June 16, 2017, 08:17:54 am »
Tuesday I collected 14 gal of wort designed for the AHA recipe for early version of Blind Pig, and split it between two kettles -- one for a 5-gal batch of Blind Pig clone, the other for a 5-gal batch of an IPA I came up with that has Azacca, Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic (late-loaded -- FWH, 10, 5, 0 and 30-min hop stand).  All went pretty well and I got my volume and hit the target OG, but I should have started with 1 - 2 more gal of wort total.

Both sound good!
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #1919 on: June 16, 2017, 08:51:46 am »
  All went pretty well and I got my volume and hit the target OG, but I should have started with 1 - 2 more gal of wort total.

yeah, I actually target an extra 1.5 gallons (13.5 vs. 12) to account for the losses to the hops in the kettle and dryhopping.  one of my biggest pet peeves is not being able to completely fill my kegs when packaging.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281