Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417344 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1920 on: June 16, 2017, 09:02:10 am »
Brewing a Hoppy Lager/IPL in a couple of hours. Still going back and forth on hops which is agonizing. Either going with Equinox, Centennial, & Comet or something like Equinox, Sterling, & Cascade.

Equinox is going in no matter what so I just need to decide on the others....
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #1921 on: June 16, 2017, 10:01:43 am »
  All went pretty well and I got my volume and hit the target OG, but I should have started with 1 - 2 more gal of wort total.

yeah, I actually target an extra 1.5 gallons (13.5 vs. 12) to account for the losses to the hops in the kettle and dryhopping.  one of my biggest pet peeves is not being able to completely fill my kegs when packaging.

Yep.  Paul, usually, if I'm brewing with two kettles I brew two 10-gal (finished beer) batches, rather than splitting one mash/sparge into two kettles. So, I didn't think it through carefully enough and compensate for the doubled evaporation from two kettles while boiling two "half" batches.  I figured it out once I filled the kettles with wort, so to hit target volume I did a little dance of reducing boil time, doing a low-to-moderate boil rate, covering the kettles at least partially, and changing my hop additions timing slightly.  Thankfully, I had done a double pass of the grist through my 3-roller Monster Mill so my brewhouse efficiency was good.  Afterwards, re-calculating my recipes in Pro Mash, it appears that my IBUs are still very close to what was originally intended, and the wort hydro samples both tasted very good.  So I'm a happy camper. 

And so I wouldn't screw up, I brewed one "half" batch and then the other, and just kept the one waiting at +150F so no bacterial spoilage could begin.  It ended up being a 10-hour brew day, same amount of time it would have taken for 20 gallons of beer instead of 10.  But you live and you learn!

And thanks Jon - I researched hops for my Western Sunset IPA to balance between citrus and tropical with a  tad of dank.  We'll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:05:42 am by brewsumore »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1922 on: June 16, 2017, 10:51:27 am »
This weekend I am going to brew up a 10 gallon batch of Black Widow Kolsch, with a twist of 5 gallons will be fermented as a kolsch with WLP029 at 64°F, and the other 5 gallons will be fermented with 34/70 at 50°F.  Should be interested to compare the final products.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1923 on: June 16, 2017, 01:08:35 pm »
Hoping to do a Belgian wit and a pils.  Will try to go low-oxygen on both, but time is limited.  I may not have the time to preboil...  Hell, I may not have the time to brew.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Big Monk

« Reply #1924 on: June 16, 2017, 06:44:30 pm »
Brewing "3 Monks", my Low Oxygen Tripel. This will be the initial test for the Lallemand Abbaye dry yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #1925 on: June 17, 2017, 09:06:39 am »
Going to drop the temp on my fermentation fridge and keg the oatmeal stout next weekend. I used Golden Promise and Wyeast 1318 for the first time, and this is the best stout I have ever made (for a style I do pretty well with). I also used Golden Promise a few weeks ago in a very straightforward mild, and while the end product seems too sweet for the style, I love it as whatever it is.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1926 on: June 17, 2017, 09:53:47 am »
   Nuthin's going to be brewed this weekend, sadly. I finally realized that I needed to shut the brewery down for a while if I was ever gonna get anything done around here. Besides, I have about enough empty bottles for the 2 batches currently in fermenters and then I'll be out of bottles. The bright side is I have enough stuff already in bottles to keep me going for several months ;D.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1927 on: June 17, 2017, 01:20:59 pm »
Just mashed in the American Amber Ale recipe from BCS as a salute to the AHA NHC. I'm planning for this to be on one of my taps for the 4th of July. The other will be a Watermelon Wheat I have conditioning now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1928 on: June 17, 2017, 05:05:06 pm »
No brewing this weekend. Turned in a few entries for the Indiana Brewer's Cup and past that, am changing seals on the kegs I use most. Getting ready to go on a lager brewing binge in a couple weeks - Marzen, Helles, Helles Exportbier, and Pils. Probably a standard bock in there, too. Perfectly good day to drink homebrew, though.
Jon H.

Big Monk

« Reply #1929 on: June 18, 2017, 11:29:21 am »
3 Monks Tripel:

Dough-in:

β1 (144 °F):

β2 (147 °F):

α (162 °F):

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:31:50 am by Big Monk »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1930 on: June 18, 2017, 01:33:15 pm »
Awesome clarity and color Derrek!  Love how you can see the conversion changes in between the rests.

Please keep us posted on your experience with the new Lallemand Abbaye yeast. I am assuming just one pack sprinkled on top for your smaller batch size?

Big Monk

« Reply #1931 on: June 18, 2017, 04:52:01 pm »
Awesome clarity and color Derrek!  Love how you can see the conversion changes in between the rests.

Please keep us posted on your experience with the new Lallemand Abbaye yeast. I am assuming just one pack sprinkled on top for your smaller batch size?

I rehydrated and pitched the whole pack per discussion with the R&D department at Lallemand. Assuming 7B/gram and my OG of 18 °Bx, I needed around 77B cells.

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1932 on: June 21, 2017, 03:02:44 pm »
All Set. Brewing a coffee vanilla porter Friday and a Lagunita sumpin sumpin clone Sunday. Rest in between on Saturday! lol

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1933 on: June 25, 2017, 01:04:51 pm »
Trying a double decoction mash on my standard amber ale recipe, first attempt at the decoction....
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #1934 on: June 26, 2017, 11:50:19 am »
made an homage to Racer 5 on Saturday.  Great day in hitting all my numbers, except one...gravity came in 6 points low at 1.067 - I think due to a combination of distracted measuring of 2-row and trying to reduce my boiloff which was too much as I ended up about 4% over on volume. and as a result had blowoff which I usually avoid:

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281