Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417240 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1935 on: June 26, 2017, 11:55:35 am »
made an homage to Racer 5 on Saturday.  Great day in hitting all my numbers, except one...gravity came in 6 points low at 1.067 - I think due to a combination of distracted measuring of 2-row and trying to reduce my boiloff which was too much as I ended up about 4% over on volume. and as a result had blowoff which I usually avoid:

Man!  That is crazy crawlin' out of there Paul!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #1936 on: June 26, 2017, 11:57:18 am »
Man!  That is crazy crawlin' out of there Paul!

Yeah that was the second of 3 dumps of the jar.  I probably don't need to explain why there is a Tupperware bowl under the jar for the second one LOL.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1937 on: June 26, 2017, 12:06:34 pm »
At least you caught it to avoid cleaning up a mess. Lord knows how much fun THAT is to wake up to in the morning!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1938 on: June 29, 2017, 05:11:40 pm »
Gonna brew up a Marzen tomorrow, as the first of the beers for my O-fest party. Helles next week, then pils, then Exportbier/Dort. Maybe a standard bock at some point. Vacation is a good thing!
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1939 on: June 30, 2017, 05:46:29 pm »
Gonna brew up a Marzen tomorrow, as the first of the beers for my O-fest party. Helles next week, then pils, then Exportbier/Dort. Maybe a standard bock at some point. Vacation is a good thing!

Killer man!  How long you off for?  What strain are you using for those?  What do you have your KMB (antioxin) levels at? My last lager run I used 40 ppm but was considering dropping that back to 35...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1940 on: June 30, 2017, 06:06:19 pm »

Killer man!  How long you off for?  What strain are you using for those?  What do you have your KMB (antioxin) levels at? My last lager run I used 40 ppm but was considering dropping that back to 35...

Off until Wednesday, Rob (been off all week)! Loving the 2206 these days. I used .37g/gal of SBT today, but may drop back a tad after this. I get no sulfur in the final product in my beers, but I want to dial back a tad to hit just what I need, and no more. Also, loving the Barke malts as well (nothing new). They're just exceptional. Hard to brew a lager now without them.
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1941 on: July 02, 2017, 09:57:33 am »
Brewing a Helles this morning.  10 gallon batch, OG (hopefully) 1.046, 20 IBUs

13.5 lbs. Avangard pils
6.5 lbs. Malteurop 2-row (because I used the last of my sack of Avangard)  :-\
2 lbs. Avangard munich
5 oz. Weyermann melanoidin

Following the suggestions of the LoDo boys, I mashed at 144°F for 30 min, 147° for 15 min, and 162°F for 30 min.  Heck, I even threw a crushed Campden tablet in the mash.  8)

In the midst of sparging, ready to start the boil.  Only hop addition is 4 oz. of 2.9% Hallertau Mittelfruh.

10 am and it is already 73°F.  Planning on being done by noon.

Going to split between WY2206 Bavarian and WY2308 Munich.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1942 on: July 02, 2017, 11:28:38 am »
Hefeweizen here... Attempting to use yeast recently harvested from a local brewers Hefe.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline tommymorris

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1943 on: July 03, 2017, 05:01:46 pm »
Just pitched yeast on a hoppy blonde (little APA).

This was my first time trying low oxygen brewing methods. I preboiled,  added SMB plus Brewtan-B to no sparge mash, used a mash cap, tried to be gentle. A few notes. (1) I followed old instructions and added 55ppm SMB. (2) My grain was chewy/moist. Stored in paper bag in humid basement for a month. I'm guessing that is not a plus for LO brewing.

I also tried out my new Brewhardware.com heat stick for the first time today. Very nice. My old heat stick finally gave up the ghost. This one is worth the extra money.

I am fermenting in a pin lock keg I picked up for $40 shipped. I plan to spund.

Recipe: 3 gallons, 1051 OG
100% Golden Promise
24 IBU Magnum @ 60
5 IBU Galaxy @ 5
0.75 oz Galaxy @ 0
0.25 oz CTZ keg dry hop
WLP029 slurry
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:11:16 pm by alestateyall »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1944 on: July 03, 2017, 05:04:31 pm »

This was my first time trying low oxygen brewing methods. I preboiled,  added SMB plus Brewtan-B to no sparge mash, used a mash cap, tried to be gentle. A few notes. (1) I followed old instructions and added 55ppm SMB. (2) My grain was chewy/moist. Stored in paper bag in humid basement for a month. I'm guessing that is not a plus for LO brewing.

I also tried out my new Brewhardware.com heat stick for the first time today. Very nice. My old heat stick finally gave up the ghost. This one is worth the extra money.

Recipe: 3 gallons
100% Golden Promise
24 IBU Magnum @ 60
5 IBU Galaxy @ 5
0.75 oz Galaxy @ 0
0.25 oz CTZ keg dry hop

Cool! What strain, Tommy?
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1945 on: July 03, 2017, 05:04:59 pm »

Recipe: 3 gallons
100% Golden Promise
24 IBU Magnum @ 60
5 IBU Galaxy @ 5
0.75 oz Galaxy @ 0
0.25 oz CTZ keg dry hop

Cool! What strain, Tommy?
WLP029

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1946 on: July 03, 2017, 05:08:33 pm »
I haven't used that strain since switching over. I'm betting at that rate that you're good. Curious to see what you think!
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #1947 on: July 03, 2017, 05:15:20 pm »
Kolsch x2 tomorrow. One 100% Schill kolsch malt, and one with 90% and 10% Wheat. Gonna find out of those Kolsch breweries are low oxygen tomorrow  8)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #1948 on: July 03, 2017, 05:22:08 pm »
Going to brew an American Amber tomorrow. This will be the sixth brew in a row under 1.060. A record for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1949 on: July 03, 2017, 05:48:11 pm »
I haven't used that strain since switching over. I'm betting at that rate that you're good. Curious to see what you think!
My water comes out to
22 Ca
6 Mg
31 Na
14 Cl
87 SO4

That's a big SO4-to-Cl ratio but 87 ppm SO4 seems fine. I should have added some CaCl. I am thinking of adding that to the wort to shore things up.