Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421743 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1995 on: August 05, 2017, 03:06:00 pm »
Brewing a Boston Lager like beer. 91% Pils, 9% C60, 30 IBU Magnum, Mittelfreuh and Tettnang at flameout and dry hops, and M76 yeast slurry. 1050 OG.

Interested in hearing how that turns out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1996 on: August 05, 2017, 05:30:06 pm »
Brewing a Boston Lager like beer. 91% Pils, 9% C60, 30 IBU Magnum, Mittelfreuh and Tettnang at flameout and dry hops, and M76 yeast slurry. 1050 OG.

Interested in hearing how that turns out

I can't wait to try it. It'll be about 2 weeks.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1997 on: August 06, 2017, 02:57:48 pm »
Kolsch up on deck for Tuesday.

91% Barke Pils, 5% German Wheat, 4% Carahell. 25 IBU's Magnum, Hallertaur additions. WY 2565.

Been really enjoying getting fresh packets of yeast and making vitality starters  (500mL or so) with them using the remainder of runoff from my mash tun (boiled, cooled). So easy, and pitching active yeast into my cooled batches gets them to work right away with active fermentation in well under 6-8 hrs.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1998 on: August 06, 2017, 03:30:49 pm »

91% Barke Pils, 5% German Wheat, 4% Carahell. 25 IBU's Magnum, Hallertaur additions. WY 2565.

Been really enjoying getting fresh packets of yeast and making vitality starters  (500mL or so) with them using the remainder of runoff from my mash tun (boiled, cooled). So easy, and pitching active yeast into my cooled batches gets them to work right away with active fermentation in well under 6-8 hrs.
Are you storing those starters and getting them going a day ahead or are you using leftover from the same days batch?

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #1999 on: August 07, 2017, 08:03:27 am »

Are you storing those starters and getting them going a day ahead or are you using leftover from the same days batch?

just fyi, but I do something similar.  sort of like drauflassen, but not really.

I 'wake up' the decanted yeast starter with 2-4L of the actual batch's wort while I am waiting on the cold break to settle:

while running off the cooled wort into the fermenter, i'll pause and run some into the Erlenmeyer flask containing my decanted yeast, shake the hell out of it and then put it in with the fermenter (at ferm temps of course).  once that hits high krausen (2-4 hrs), I'll dump my settled cold break, pitch the flask and oxygenate.

this works very very well for me - been doing this consistently the past dozen or so batches;  Saturday's Oktoberfest was bubbling within 8 hours of pitching.  YMMV
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2000 on: August 07, 2017, 12:05:44 pm »

Once I collect enough mash runoff volume into my boil kettle, I allow the mash tun to drain a bit more out into a small saucepan (about 500 mL). I boil that for 5 minutes and quickly cool it down. Transfer into a sanitized quart mason jar with plastic lid and add my yeast. Shake the living crap out of it and let it go to work on the wort while I continue on with my brewday (boil, chill wort). This usually gives the yeast a good 1.5 hrs (or so) to wake up and get active until the whole starter is pitched into my chilled batch in the fermenter prior to adding oxygen.

Works great and has saved me buying and using DME, and saves me time to boot.

If I plan on using that same strain again, I will save some in a mason jar after transferring finished beer into a keg. That also gets stepped up the same way on brew day.

Cheers!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2001 on: August 07, 2017, 03:51:50 pm »
Just brewed a festbier.  A nice clear 1.052.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This one is in D rest now. I am really looking fwd to this brew. First lager in a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #2002 on: August 08, 2017, 02:45:00 pm »
Brewing a Galaxy IPA
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2003 on: August 09, 2017, 12:04:35 pm »
Brewed an old school IPA with the 4 "C's".

Dan Chisholm

Offline hoplyonbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2004 on: August 09, 2017, 12:47:14 pm »
Cream Ale and a witbier (per GF's Request.) Anyone ever add peaches to witbier interested I the expertise as I normally avoid adding fruit to a secondary with my brews.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2005 on: August 09, 2017, 12:53:14 pm »

Old school is still good. Sounds great.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2006 on: August 09, 2017, 06:43:18 pm »

Old school is still good. Sounds great.
First brew since my last eight over 1.060. I only have a few ounces of American hops left over from 2016, so I think I finally ordered the correct amount for a year.

Dan Chisholm

Offline futboljefe

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2007 on: August 11, 2017, 05:54:10 pm »
Belgian Blue - Blueberry wheat with Star Anise.  Blueberries from my farm in SW Michigan.  Should be interesting.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2008 on: August 11, 2017, 06:01:35 pm »
Belgian Blue - Blueberry wheat with Star Anise.  Blueberries from my farm in SW Michigan.  Should be interesting.
Nice. I just came back from our place in the UP with 15 lbs of wild blueberries.

Dan Chisholm

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
« Reply #2009 on: August 11, 2017, 09:38:04 pm »
Brewing my first ever double IPA on Sunday. Then brewing a festbier on Monday.

Lots of kegging this week/weekend. Getting 5 beers ready to send to our clubs annual festival.