Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423190 times)

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2040 on: September 21, 2017, 10:44:35 am »
My annual pumpkin beer
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2041 on: September 22, 2017, 04:51:43 pm »
Just finished a pilsner late hopped with mittelfruh and will be dry hopped with mandarina bavaria
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #2042 on: September 24, 2017, 10:37:32 am »
Making an APA this weekend, first time in a while.

OG: 1.048
IBU: ~30-35 (a little hard to say with the whirlpool addition)
87% 2-row
7% munich
6% carared

2oz Zythos @ 10
2oz Amarillo @ whirlpool

US-05

Fermenting in a keg for the first time, going to try to use it like a unitank.  We'll see how that works out.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2043 on: September 24, 2017, 04:43:43 pm »
Making an APA this weekend, first time in a while.

OG: 1.048
IBU: ~30-35 (a little hard to say with the whirlpool addition)
87% 2-row
7% munich
6% carared

2oz Zythos @ 10
2oz Amarillo @ whirlpool

US-05

Fermenting in a keg for the first time, going to try to use it like a unitank.  We'll see how that works out.

Keep us posted Nate!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2044 on: September 24, 2017, 04:48:52 pm »
I made a Dunkel with Weyermann Barke Munich. This is my favorite Munich Malt of all that I've used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2045 on: September 24, 2017, 05:47:26 pm »
I made a Dunkel with Weyermann Barke Munich. This is my favorite Munich Malt of all that I've used.

Yeah, stuff is amazing. Love it.
Jon H.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2046 on: September 24, 2017, 06:39:53 pm »
Brewing up a mystery Pils, using up some Munich, Vienna, and mostly pilsner malt so I can make room for a sack of Maris otter. Nugget for bittering, crystal for aroma. Should be interesting. Any recommendations on fermentation schedule for 34/70? I've done it cold and warm before, but want a second opinion. Planning on pitching 2 packs for 6 gallons.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #2047 on: September 24, 2017, 06:53:19 pm »
Brewing up a mystery Pils, using up some Munich, Vienna, and mostly pilsner malt so I can make room for a sack of Maris otter. Nugget for bittering, crystal for aroma. Should be interesting. Any recommendations on fermentation schedule for 34/70? I've done it cold and warm before, but want a second opinion. Planning on pitching 2 packs for 6 gallons.

I really like Jamil's cold ferment schedule IIRC pitch at 47 - 48F, over 48 hrs ramp to 50F and hold it there until done.  No need for a diacetyl rest this way.  Depending on your OG you might want three packets.  It's always worked for me and I love the beer with this method.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2048 on: October 03, 2017, 04:15:36 pm »
Had a few pounds of American pale and a pound of Munich. Choice of a 5.5 gal. batch of nominal gravity ale or a small batch of a bigger beer. Weather cooling down so chose to do a 2.5 gallon batch of an 8% American Barley Wine.

First batch on the stove top in many years. As age makes it harder to brave the elements, I'm seriously considering extract brewing for the winter. Likely much easier on the old bones.

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2049 on: October 03, 2017, 04:28:31 pm »
I'm making a "gold beer" with 50% of the base malt being Swaen Pils and then 25% Vienna and 25% Munich 1.  There will be some Carafoam in there too... 4 ounces maybe.  20-22 IBUs of Magnum to bitter and then some late Spalt and Hallertau Mittelfruh.  S-189.  Not really sure of the style but it should be about 5%, SRM 5-6 and about 30 IBUs.  Probably make this on Saturday.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2050 on: October 03, 2017, 04:35:33 pm »
After months of lagers (a good thing), doing a Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe AIPA this weekend. 94.5% Rahr 2 row, 3% Carahell, 2.5% Caramunich II, 1.064/68 IBU. After that, my tweaked version of Janet's American Brown in a week or two. Having American hop withdrawal.   :)
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2051 on: October 03, 2017, 04:39:36 pm »
After months of lagers (a good thing), doing a Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe AIPA this weekend. 94.5% Rahr 2 row, 3% Carahell, 2.5% Caramunich II, 1.064/68 IBU. After that, my tweaked version of Janet's American Brown in a week or two. Having American hop withdrawal.   :)
I hear you. I'm waiting for the next hop crop to buy some. I've run out of American hops for the last month.

Dan Chisholm

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #2052 on: October 03, 2017, 05:17:28 pm »
I'm about to switch gears too.  I made so many lagers over the past 4-5 months I cannot tell you.  Vienna lager, pilsner, helles, American lager, festbier, dunkel, in some cases multiple batches of some.  I have a bunch of new-to-me hops (Loral, Apollo, Azacca, Ella, El Dorado, Lemon Drop, etc) and plan to make some APAs with those and Omega West Coast Ale yeast as well as some ESBs/Bitters with 1469.  Move over lagers!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #2053 on: October 07, 2017, 01:10:03 pm »
Brewing a dunkel tomorrow, which will be my first batch since late June.  Going to be my second no-sparge batch (really trying to cut the length of my brew day where possible).  For a 5 gal batch, planning the following grain bill:

8lb Munich II (Weyerman)
3lb Pilsner (Weyerman)
5 oz. Carafa Special II

Imperial Harvest yeast

Really looking forward to firing up the burner tomorrow.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #2054 on: October 07, 2017, 03:14:52 pm »
Brewing a dunkel tomorrow, which will be my first batch since late June.  Going to be my second no-sparge batch (really trying to cut the length of my brew day where possible).  For a 5 gal batch, planning the following grain bill:

8lb Munich II (Weyerman)
3lb Pilsner (Weyerman)
5 oz. Carafa Special II

Imperial Harvest yeast

Really looking forward to firing up the burner tomorrow.
Joel:  Have you started doing 30-minute boils yet?  Really shortens up the brewday and you can get twice the batches out of a tank of propane... if you use propane.  I've done 15-20 batches of 30-minute beer and they have been spectacular.   
Ken from Chicago.