Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 119227 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2055 on: October 08, 2017, 03:38:14 PM »
1) Bloatarian club brew: Hop Test IPA (Apollo hops) was dry hopped yesterday.  To be kegged next week for a club tasting on the 20th.
2) American Wild Ale with Citra, Mosaic and Nelson Sauvin hops was transferred last night onto 7 lbs of peaches, 3 lbs of peach puree and a French oak spiral yesterday.  This was fermented with WLP644 Sacc Trois.  Fermentation has restarted and today I'll add Brett Lambicus and Claussenii. 
3) Mashing now: Pils with Weyermann Pilsner malt, Munich malt and Hallertauer Mittelfrueh hops.  Will ferment with WY2206. 
4) This afternoon: Kölsch.  All Pilsner malt with some Acidulated for pH adjustment. This will also Mittelfrueh hops (First wort).  WLP029. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: October 08, 2017, 07:47:24 PM »
After months of lagers (a good thing), doing a Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe AIPA this weekend. 94.5% Rahr 2 row, 3% Carahell, 2.5% Caramunich II, 1.064/68 IBU. After that, my tweaked version of Janet's American Brown in a week or two. Having American hop withdrawal.   :)

Felt great to brew up an IPA today, hitting the numbers nicely. The hops are all excellent quality (especially Ted H's Simcoe). Wort smelled and tasted stellar. Looking forward to this one.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2057 on: October 09, 2017, 12:16:37 AM »
After months of lagers (a good thing), doing a Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe AIPA this weekend. 94.5% Rahr 2 row, 3% Carahell, 2.5% Caramunich II, 1.064/68 IBU. After that, my tweaked version of Janet's American Brown in a week or two. Having American hop withdrawal.   :)

Felt great to brew up an IPA today, hitting the numbers nicely. The hops are all excellent quality (especially Ted H's Simcoe). Wort smelled and tasted stellar. Looking forward to this one.
Similar experience today.  Just a solid brew day with no real problems.  Cheers!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: October 09, 2017, 02:49:34 AM »
Yesterday I brewed a spruce porter--part of my exploration of different ways to use the spruce buds I gather each May from the towering Norway Spruce trees in my yard. It is bubbling away nicely now: 3.5 gallons, Maris Otter, Brown Malt, Chocolate Malt, and some 50/60 British crystal. Used a mix EKG and Fuggles. Ended up using WLP 005--was given to me at no cost by my LHBS because it was past its "best by" date.

My hope is that the spruce's strong floral/fruity flavor will balance out the roast flavors of the porter. Last year, I made a porter with Burton Ale yeast--and it did the same sort of thing I imagine the spruce tips will do.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled:Wit, Vienna Lager, Nut Brown Ale, Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale, Mild Ale, Brown Porter, Spruce Porter, APA.

Fermenting:English Pale Ale

Next Brews: Golden Bitter, California Common, Belgian Maibock, Wit

Offline ethinson

• Brewer
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • View Profile
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #2059 on: October 09, 2017, 07:58:39 PM »
Just finished a second batch of my Belgian Dark strong recipe.  Quite happy with the first batch that I brewed back in December.  Bottle conditioned and it's sitting at about 9 months now, recently picked up 2 third place ribbons and a 2nd place in a couple recent competitions.  Plan on bottle conditioning this batch as well and not break it out until about April. 

Takes some advance planning (and a lot of patience) but it's been well worth it.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: October 15, 2017, 09:18:42 PM »
Yesterday I made 11 gallons of a porter based on Fuller's London Porter, but also added a tad of roasted barley to add some coffee-like notes.  Hmmm, I just realized that I inadvertently doubled the amount of brown malt specified in the BYO / Kristen England clone recipe, so used 3 lbs per 5.5 gal instead of 1.5 lbs.  Otherwise, the brew day went very well and I hit my target OG of 1.054, and mash pH of 5.5.

Maybe I'll get a can of raspberry puree for one of the fermenters, and optionally if the straight porter is too roasty I can set up the nitro faucet.

Still, based on how the wort hydro sample tasted I think it will be fine.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: October 20, 2017, 07:13:47 PM »
Brewing my neighborhood favorite "Punkin Awesome" pumpkin brown ale.  Standard brown ale recipe with pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, molasses, honey, maple syrup.  A little Northern Brewer and EKG for the hops.  I serve it at the end of the driveway on Halloween so the adults can have a treat too.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: October 20, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »
Yesterday was a triple brew day.  Cider, Berliner weisse, and traditional weissbier. And what's homebrew without some of my bbq, and my first batch of cured meat

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline chumley

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: October 20, 2017, 07:32:31 PM »
In anticipation of an Iggles playoff appearance, yesterday I took off work and brewed a Winter Warmer

OG 1.066, 10 gallons

24 lbs. Avangard pilsner malt
2 lbs. Weyermann melanoidin malt

Mash at 148°F for 90 min

6 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh FWH
2 oz. Cluster boil
1 oz. Saaz 10 min

Had to take a conference call in the middle of the boil, so I boiled for 3 hours.  That’s okay, it got my gravity where I wanted it.

Split between WY2006 Bavaria and WY2308 Munich yeast cakes.  Racked and kegged 10 gallons of Classic American Pilsner from those fermenters.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: October 20, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »
Yesterday I made 11 gallons of a porter based on Fuller's London Porter, but also added a tad of roasted barley to add some coffee-like notes.  Hmmm, I just realized that I inadvertently doubled the amount of brown malt specified in the BYO / Kristen England clone recipe, so used 3 lbs per 5.5 gal instead of 1.5 lbs.  Otherwise, the brew day went very well and I hit my target OG of 1.054, and mash pH of 5.5.

Maybe I'll get a can of raspberry puree for one of the fermenters, and optionally if the straight porter is too roasty I can set up the nitro faucet.

Still, based on how the wort hydro sample tasted I think it will be fine.

Going to try to mend my boo-boo from last weekend.  Tomorrow I'll be brewing another 11 gallons of London Porter, minus brown malt, and then blend it 50/50 with the beer I made last week in which I mistakenly doubled the amount of brown malt to an overly roasty/toasty 24% of the grist.  This iteration I made up gravity with more base malt, but to jack up the SRM and keep things interesting I'll be adding a pound of black patent.  But NO MORE brown malt!

I wonder if I'm going overboard again by adding the black patent...

Offline BrewBama

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: October 20, 2017, 11:22:20 PM »
Yesterday was a triple brew day.  Cider, Berliner weisse, and traditional weissbier. And what's homebrew without some of my bbq, and my first batch of cured meat

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Looks like fun!  Charcuterie looks good, too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Huntsville AL

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: October 21, 2017, 12:07:04 AM »
Doing my tweaked version of Janet's Brown with 1450 tomorrow. A really good fall beer.
Jon H.

Offline BrewBama

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2067 on: October 21, 2017, 01:11:22 AM »
Doing my tweaked version of Janet's Brown with 1450 tomorrow. A really good fall beer.

+1. I am brewing my interpretation of Newcastle using BCS as a resource tomorrow = my restorative beverage for invalids and convalescents.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:57:46 PM by BrewBama »
Huntsville AL

Offline Sigeorge

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: October 22, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »
Hey, sorry for my interruption. I just need your help. I have been looking for a perfect gift for my father who is a hardcore traveler and a Liquor Drinker. I can guess that you guys can help me. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Offline BrewBama

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2069 on: October 22, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »
Go to Loretto KY and dip him a bottle of Maker’s Mark. Put his name on the label and thank me later. Cheers!

Huntsville AL