Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417312 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2070 on: October 22, 2017, 12:45:38 pm »
Go to Loretto KY and dip him a bottle of Maker’s Mark. Put his name on the label and thank me later. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline _jakew

• 1st Kit
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2071 on: October 27, 2017, 12:58:56 am »
Hey, sorry for my interruption. I just need your help. I have been looking for a perfect gift for my father who is a hardcore traveler and a Liquor Drinker. I can guess that you guys can help me. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hey Sigeorge! I bought this Amazing T-shirt with the design of Bourbon for my brother and he liked it so much. Your will going to love it! I got it from One Fibe, check this out! https://www.onefibe.com/products/wmb-1

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2072 on: October 27, 2017, 07:20:33 am »
Big brew day tomorrow - imperial red ale first, then house IPA afterward.  should put a small dent in the hop and malt inventory.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2073 on: October 27, 2017, 07:59:58 am »
Big brew day tomorrow - imperial red ale first, then house IPA afterward.  should put a small dent in the hop and malt inventory.
I'll be brewing tomorrow as well, today is cleaning kegs and organizing (off work this week).  Munich Dunkel and Märzen.   

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline tshearer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2074 on: October 31, 2017, 09:09:52 pm »
Ok, brewed the extract Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout 3 days ago.  Was told I'd have very active fermentation - but hasn't happened yet.  Normally I see activity after 1-2 days.   Q: am I impatient?  Should I add another packet of yeast?

Thx

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2075 on: October 31, 2017, 09:28:29 pm »
Ok, brewed the extract Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout 3 days ago.  Was told I'd have very active fermentation - but hasn't happened yet.  Normally I see activity after 1-2 days.   Q: am I impatient?  Should I add another packet of yeast?

Thx

What was the OG? How much yeast did you use? What strain and at what temp?

Take off the lid and take a look.

I did a strong brown lager that had no airlock activity throughout fermentation which is the first time that has happened to me. Not sure how there was a leak but it fermented normal. I peeked a few times and a hydrometer reading proved everything was fine.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #2076 on: November 01, 2017, 09:52:58 am »
I'll be brewing my Celebration rip off
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline blatz

« Reply #2077 on: November 01, 2017, 11:51:32 am »

I'm sure its going to be better than this years - I can't recall a time I've ever been disappointed in SNCA - but this time its a let down.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2078 on: November 01, 2017, 12:32:13 pm »

I'm sure its going to be better than this years - I can't recall a time I've ever been disappointed in SNCA - but this time its a let down.

Agreed. It just seemed a bit "ho-hum" this year.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2079 on: November 01, 2017, 12:38:55 pm »

I felt the same way last year and I bought it on the day it hit the shelves here (I was in the minority in this opinion last year)- for the first time ever. Hearing this posted again, I doubt I'll buy any.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

« Reply #2080 on: November 01, 2017, 01:24:43 pm »
I felt the same way last year and I bought it on the day it hit the shelves here (I was in the minority in this opinion last year)- for the first time ever. Hearing this posted again, I doubt I'll buy any.

hopefully the $7 a pop I spent on a couple bombers of Estate at lunch today don't have the same outcome.  doubt it though - SN historically has been one of the most consistent;  just makes me wonder if the hop crops themselves, in terms of quality for Cascade and Centennial, are subpar in recent years.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2081 on: November 01, 2017, 01:43:14 pm »

hopefully the $7 a pop I spent on a couple bombers of Estate at lunch today don't have the same outcome.  doubt it though - SN historically has been one of the most consistent;  just makes me wonder if the hop crops themselves, in terms of quality for Cascade and Centennial, are subpar in recent years.

I wonder the same. SN makes some great beers with other hop varieties. I know Centennial is pretty temperamental.  On that note, I posted part of Stan H's recent hop e-newsletter recently where he said that Centennial is being cross bred to improve its consistency and viability.  IIRC he called it Super Centennial. That could be a good thing.
Jon H.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2082 on: November 01, 2017, 02:05:53 pm »

An old guy and a man with a hat talked to YCH, he said this year's crop is supposed to be really great. A great interview.

I'm excited the BA is finding more USDA hop research.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/industry-updates/investing-public-hop-breeding-program-future-hop-brewing-industries/

I'm possibly bring a Kölsch this weekend, any yeast or recipe recommendations?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2083 on: November 01, 2017, 03:39:31 pm »

I'm possibly bring a Kölsch this weekend, any yeast or recipe recommendations?

This makes a pretty solid beer:

WLP029 or WY2565 - hold around 58F.  2565 has a little more character, but is pretty slow (even hard) to clear. 029 clears out much quicker IME.

1.048 OG
1.010-1.009ish FG
IBU 20ish HM - 60 mins. Sometimes I add a small late addition, sometimes not. Good either way.

85% Barke Pils
15% Vienna
Jon H.

Offline blatz

« Reply #2084 on: November 02, 2017, 09:00:56 am »

I wonder the same. SN makes some great beers with other hop varieties. I know Centennial is pretty temperamental.  On that note, I posted part of Stan H's recent hop e-newsletter recently where he said that Centennial is being cross bred to improve its consistency and viability.  IIRC he called it Super Centennial. That could be a good thing.

happy to say, the same malady did not befall the Estate ale - I really enjoyed that last night while I was grilling up some salmon.