Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421414 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2235 on: March 09, 2018, 01:28:49 am »
Open ferment seems to be part of the matrix with 1469, or so I'm told. Next go around I'm going to nudge it up to 68F from 65F. I'm going to go about 4.3% abv, 100% Golden Promise mashed at 160F, and a blend of EKG, Styrian Goldings, and Fuggles. Just something I pulled out of thin air.
Almost Timothy Taylor Landlord. I don’t think they use Fuggles.
I hope not, I'd have to sue them for stealing my idea
Go big on the Sryrian Golding.
I'm planning on a 3 way split of each, 60 min and 10 min. About 25 BUs numbers-wise. Moderate bitterness, flavor, and aroma words-wise.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2236 on: March 10, 2018, 12:56:42 pm »
Finally got my first brew session of 2019 in, despite the 3 feet of snow in my backyard/brewery.

Nick Foles' MVP Pilsner:

OG 1.063, 10 gallons

21 lbs. Avangard pilsner malt
1 lb. Dingemann's Caramel 8

Mashed at 146°F for 60 min, add boiling water and continue to mash at 152°F for 30 more min

6 oz. Czech Kazbek hops FWH
1.6 oz. Cluster boil
2 oz. Saaz at knockout

Pitched two bucket fermentors with Czech lager yeast slurry obtained from a nearby brewery.  Not sure what strain.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2237 on: March 10, 2018, 05:10:39 pm »
Just brewed a nice pale ale, dialing my water profile for it. Brew day came out at 3 hours, 42 minutes with cleanup for a 60/30/20 mash/boil/steep. Now to make spent grain cookies.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2238 on: March 10, 2018, 05:34:10 pm »
Brewed a Pilsner with the floor malted Bohemian stuff this morning. Hadn't used that malt in years, just bought a bag on a whim.  Gives a little lower yield than W's regular Pilsner malt (downside of old, high protein barley varieties) but wow, the wort smells and tastes incredible (upside of same.) Had forgotten the difference.  Maybe should be posting in the IMF thread!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2239 on: March 10, 2018, 06:37:07 pm »
My first Marzen is in the fermentor: 40 percent Munich and Vienna, 10 percent Pils, 10 caramunich, Hallertau (60) and Tettnanger (15 and 0). Will see if in future need to re-balance the basements for color and taste, but looking forward to this first go-round--and also my first time using a fermentation chest freezer that I got last year. Much easier than adding ice to a tub in the cold basement and then lagering in an unheated foyer in January and February.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2240 on: March 16, 2018, 01:41:41 pm »
2018 Imperial Stout tomorrow, doing an extended mash to ensure maximum fermentation.  hope it pans out.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bigpete225

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2241 on: March 16, 2018, 01:49:37 pm »
Honey kolsch. Going to try splitting up mashing tonight and boiling tomorrow morning due to time constraints. We shall see how this goes...

Online Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2242 on: March 16, 2018, 07:25:05 pm »
Hmmm, what to brew on March 17?? Irish Red Ale, of course, while the corned beef cooks in the slow cooker.

Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2243 on: March 16, 2018, 08:27:50 pm »
I’ll be brewing my Cinco de Mayo Vienna Lager this weekend

Edit: just started the boil with a 91% mash efficiency.

Edit 2:  she’s a pretty thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:26:17 pm by BrewBama »

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2244 on: March 17, 2018, 04:19:34 pm »
Beautiful wort Brewbama.

Somehow I got 80% efficiency on my imperial stout and what I targeted as 1.095 is actually 1.106 🤨

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:09:32 pm by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #2245 on: March 23, 2018, 05:44:37 am »
Last weekend, brewed a California Common. This weekend I will bottle a porter and keg a "1911 Heineken Beiersch" (Recipe from Ron Pattinson book "Let's Brew").
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2246 on: March 25, 2018, 08:38:58 pm »
It's IPA week, if I don't end up with too many distractions. After some MBAA water and hops talks I've listened to, I'm going to try backing off on SO4 and Cl a little bit, like 25ppm Cl and 75ppm SO4. Just for kicks. Funny thing is that's about where I started a few years back, but after hearing I need way more I had to try that. I heard Ben from Breakside state he uses 3:1 in Wanderlust with about 30ppm Cl. Hmmmm

Also getting away from 1056. These will be 1450.

And they'll be my 1st IPAs with my closed transfer and Drew's sani-purge. Will be interesting to see if I notice more freshness and longevity.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2247 on: March 25, 2018, 08:49:43 pm »
Finally warm enough to brew with the immersion chiller today!

I brewed an IPA, combining old school IPA and New England silliness:

OG 1.072, 10 gallons

12 lbs. Aventinus Pale Ale Malt
12 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter
0.75 lb. Briess Crystal 120
3 lbs assorted flake grains (spelt, barley, 7 grain)

Mash at 152 for 60 min. Batch sparge to collect 13 gallons of wort.

FWH with 6 oz. of Galalxy.

Add 0.4 oz. of Chinook to the boil.

After 90 min, shut off and add 4 oz. Amarillo to knockout.

Add 6 more oz. of hops at the 180 mark of chilling, 2 oz each of Galaxy, Ekaunot, and Mosaic.

Pitch US-5 3 packets split between two carboys.

Offline Robert

« Reply #2248 on: March 25, 2018, 08:50:07 pm »
It's IPA week, if I don't end up with too many distractions. After some MBAA water and hops talks I've listened to, I'm going to try backing off on SO4 and Cl a little bit, like 25ppm Cl and 75ppm SO4. Just for kicks. Funny thing is that's about where I started a few years back, but after hearing I need way more I had to try that. I heard Ben from Breakside state he uses 3:1 in Wanderlust with about 30ppm Cl. Hmmmm

Also getting away from 1056. These will be 1450.

And they'll be my 1st IPAs with my closed transfer and Drew's sani-purge. Will be interesting to see if I notice more freshness and longevity.
Funny about your water, Jim.  I started building RO because I was not hitting the je ne sais quoi with my treated, filtered tap.  Mainly thought Cl was excessive.  Tried lots of profiles, seem to have developed one I like.  Turns out it's almost a clone of my tap, but with enough Ca and acceptably reduced Na and Mg. (Key here are SO4 and Cl.) So really I'm where I started with the tiny adjustments I wanted to make in the first place, which admittedly were impossible to fix in the natural supply.  But the ability to change everything tempted me to overdo it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:05:26 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2249 on: March 25, 2018, 09:03:07 pm »
Starting phase 1 of my yeast trials: S-23 vs. Hothead. Following that up Friday with Voss Kveik and Hornindal Kveik from Omega. Nice end to a weekend at home, got 9 inches of snow yesterday.