Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423217 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2250 on: March 25, 2018, 10:49:31 pm »
It's IPA week, if I don't end up with too many distractions. After some MBAA water and hops talks I've listened to, I'm going to try backing off on SO4 and Cl a little bit, like 25ppm Cl and 75ppm SO4. Just for kicks. Funny thing is that's about where I started a few years back, but after hearing I need way more I had to try that. I heard Ben from Breakside state he uses 3:1 in Wanderlust with about 30ppm Cl. Hmmmm

Also getting away from 1056. These will be 1450.

And they'll be my 1st IPAs with my closed transfer and Drew's sani-purge. Will be interesting to see if I notice more freshness and longevity.
Funny about your water, Jim.  I started building RO because I was not hitting the je ne sais quoi with my treated, filtered tap.  Mainly thought Cl was excessive.  Tried lots of profiles, seem to have developed one I like.  Turns out it's almost a clone of my tap, but with enough Ca and acceptably reduced Na and Mg. (Key here are SO4 and Cl.) So really I'm where I started with the tiny adjustments I wanted to make in the first place, which admittedly were impossible to fix in the natural supply.  But the ability to change everything tempted me to overdo it.
Funny how that works. Some is good doesn't always mean more is great

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2251 on: March 26, 2018, 05:26:03 am »
Munich Dunkel for me.  Had blowoff in step 2 of my starter on Wednesday, so I'd say the WL833 are as excited as I am for this one.  I've got fest and vienna down, this is the year to tackle dunkel and schwartz.
Vienna Lager yesterday. Pale Ale last night. My next will be a Maibock
Wow, over 4 years since you started this. And over 97,000 views. Amazing.

I was the first to reply. I'm trying to figure out how i did a Vienna and a Pale Ale at the same time. I'm sure I had temp control then, and it was a few months before I started doing oxygenated active starters. I must have run the lager in my big fermentation chest and the ale in the house at ambient. Good grief... it would never cross my mind now lol.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2252 on: March 26, 2018, 08:15:41 am »
I have 2 favorite threads. This one and “Pics of recent brews.”

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2253 on: March 31, 2018, 04:42:33 pm »
I brewed Alestateyall’s Blonde Ale today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Brandon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2254 on: April 01, 2018, 08:33:09 am »
I have my Doppelbock that I am going to brew up again starting when i get home today gonna get my starter going. second version of it the first one was not quite malty enough added 2 more pound of munich to it and going to mash a little higher and do a 90 min boil. thats all i really want to change right now i know few things i did wrong like just a bit too low on the mash temp and it was my first lager didnt realize most do a longer boil for it. but i dont wanna change to much little more then i wanted to change at once but i think i am heading in the right direction with this one

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2255 on: April 01, 2018, 08:38:46 am »
Maibock for me. I simplified the recipe this year to just Pils and Munich malt with Hersbrucker hops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline happyjac

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2256 on: April 07, 2018, 05:07:07 pm »
Gaarden Hoe Witbier. It is now happily in its second fermentation. Tomorrow I plan to start a Bavarian Hefeweizen. I am investigating how make a Gose. It looks more complicated than usual for me.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2257 on: April 15, 2018, 02:46:46 pm »
I brewed a maibock this weekend as well

OG 1.065*, 11 gallons

24 lbs. Weyermann floor malted Bohemian pilsner
2 lbs. Avangard Munich
2 lbs. Weyermann Carahell
2 lbs. Weyermann Carafoam

Mashed at 148°F for 60 min, add boiling water to mash at 152°F for another 30 min.  Batch sparge.

6 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh FWH

Microbrewery Czech lager yeasr slurry, second pitch.

Now comes the sad part.  I last brewed on March 27.    Today, when I turned on my immersion chiller, I immediately noticed that the cooling water wasn't coming out.  I lifted the chiller out of the wort, and yes, you guessed it - it had froze and water was pouring out of a split. :'( My three year old Hydra chiller - toast.

Fortunately, I have an old CFC that I sanitized and used.  But my wort, which I had measured with a refractometer to be 1,075, was now 1.065.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2258 on: April 15, 2018, 03:32:03 pm »
Brewed up a batch of Amarillo Gold. First brew on the Grainfather.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2259 on: April 18, 2018, 08:00:39 pm »
Maibock for me. I simplified the recipe this year to just Pils and Munich malt with Hersbrucker hops.

Curious what your ratio of pils to Munich is. I am brewing my fist maibock on Friday probably at 75% pils and 25% Munich 6L
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2260 on: April 19, 2018, 05:24:28 am »

Curious what your ratio of pils to Munich is. I am brewing my fist maibock on Friday probably at 75% pils and 25% Munich 6L
70% Pils and 30% Munich. I plan on kegging it within a week.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Robert

« Reply #2261 on: April 19, 2018, 05:41:40 am »

For me, it's an export-strength Helles, which I think should have a similar malt profile to Maibock (all in the family) -- I'm going with 67% floor-malted Bohemian Pils and 33% floor-malted Bohemian Dark.  Sounds like we're all on the same page, can't all be wrong! :) Sterling hops for me.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2262 on: April 19, 2018, 07:43:07 am »

For me, it's an export-strength Helles, which I think should have a similar malt profile to Maibock (all in the family) -- I'm going with 67% floor-malted Bohemian Pils and 33% floor-malted Bohemian Dark.  Sounds like we're all on the same page, can't all be wrong! :) Sterling hops for me.

I am going with Sterling as well for a slightly more bitter and hoppy take on the style

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2263 on: April 19, 2018, 02:35:35 pm »

Last year I made a Maibock with some Vienna and Caramunich along with the Pils and Munich and it ended up with a somewhat muddled malt flavor. This year I also went with a lower OG of 1.066 (lower end of the style) instead of last year’s OG of 1.075.

Dan Chisholm

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2264 on: April 19, 2018, 02:42:41 pm »

Last year I made a Maibock with some Vienna and Caramunich along with the Pils and Munich and it ended up with a somewhat muddled malt flavor. This year I also went with a lower OG of 1.066 (lower end of the style) instead of last year’s OG of 1.075.

What are you guys doing for water?

I was thinking yellow balanced in Bru'n water with a mash pH of 5.4