Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417274 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2325 on: July 04, 2018, 07:03:53 am »
I’m in the middle of my first step (Ferulic Acid 114*F) for my much anticipated wheat beer.  I got a bit of a stuck recirculation but found the flow balance and all is progressing smoothly now. It’ll be interesting to watch the site glass as the mash progresses.

Edit 1: Middle of second step (β for Maltose 147*F):

Edit 2: Middle of third step (α for Dextrinization 163*F). Not much different from step 2 but at 81% of my OG at this point:

Edit 3: Mash out (170*F) 87% of OG and crystal clear now:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:31:20 pm by BrewBama »

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2326 on: July 04, 2018, 10:54:56 am »
^ nice sight glass.

Friday I brew a west coast IPA.. brewing with a friend that’s never brewed but wants to learn, wants to make an IPA. Piney.

11# 2-row
.5# carapils
.5# crystal 40
1# Munich
Warrior @60
Chinook and cascade @20 (could change to later, warrior hops are 16.5aa)
Imperial corporate yeast 68* finish at 72*.
Distilled chinook hop oil at kegging.

Edit: pictures from today’s brew. 7/6

Got a bit drunk and distracted and forgot about taking pictures after the warrior addition.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:28:36 pm by jkirkham »
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2327 on: July 04, 2018, 11:07:42 am »
First crack at a partigyle. 50/50 10 gallon batch with the first half targeted to be a 1.100+ barleywine and the second half...??

I'm using a 1956 Tennant's Gold Label recipe from Ron Pattinson's blog: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2018/06/lets-brew-wednesday-1956-tennants-gold.html

Ramped that up to 10gallons and calculated the overall OG to give me what I need in first runnings. I will take a gravity reading from the second runnings and then figure out a hop schedule to suit.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #2328 on: July 06, 2018, 06:38:53 pm »
First crack at a partigyle. 50/50 10 gallon batch with the first half targeted to be a 1.100+ barleywine and the second half...??

I'm using a 1956 Tennant's Gold Label recipe from Ron Pattinson's blog: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2018/06/lets-brew-wednesday-1956-tennants-gold.html

Ramped that up to 10gallons and calculated the overall OG to give me what I need in first runnings. I will take a gravity reading from the second runnings and then figure out a hop schedule to suit.

My first partigyle was fun, produced a 9.4% lager (dopplebock) a 7.2% lager and a 6% ale.  3 mash tuns, two with 20# Munich, 1 20# pils. All beers were very nice we just bottle th big lager last week.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2329 on: July 07, 2018, 09:54:31 am »

That technique really seems like it's introducing a lot of unnecessary (and potentially harmful) oxygen to your mash.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #2330 on: July 07, 2018, 12:55:49 pm »
That technique really seems like it's introducing a lot of unnecessary (and potentially harmful) oxygen to your mash.
I haven’t had any oxidation problems. It’s a jet fly sparge from northern brewer. It used to flow better until I put a maximizer on the kettle. I don’t expose the grain bed to oxygen directly. Would you recommend a different technique? Because I could pour hot water into a funnel with the fly sparge at the bottom. That would spread the water out better.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:22:31 am by jkirkham »

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #2331 on: July 08, 2018, 07:17:48 am »
Friday I brewed an altbier using some of the Mecca Grade malts I brought back with me from Portland. Brilliant red color with nice malt flavor. Really looking forward to this beer.
Ralph R.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2332 on: July 08, 2018, 11:08:19 am »
I haven’t had any oxidation problems. It’s a jet fly sparge from northern brewer. It used to flow better until I put a maximizer on the kettle. I don’t expose the grain bed to oxygen directly. Would you recommend a different technique? Because I could pour hot water into a funnel with the fly sparge at the bottom. That would spread the water out better.

If you aren't following the full low oxygen protocol (deoxygenating your mash water, etc.), I don't think you will notice much difference from a bit of additional hot side aeration.

That said, I think it's good technique to minimize hot side aeration where possible, especially if it's a simple as using a longer piece of tubing to reduce splashing.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #2333 on: July 08, 2018, 02:09:23 pm »
I think it's good technique to minimize hot side aeration where possible, especially if it's a simple as using a longer piece of tubing to reduce splashing.
I will follow through with that, I have the tubing. Like I said, the flow used to be much better before I added a maximizer to the kettle. When the flow was better, the spread of water was much greater, hitting the sides of the mashtun instead of trickling on top of the mash.
Thank you for feedback.

Friday I brewed an altbier using some of the Mecca Grade malts I brought back with me from Portland. Brilliant red color with nice malt flavor. Really looking forward to this beer.

Did you do a single step mash? I tried a decoction mash, one and only while brewing an altbier, and discovered I would probably never do another one unless I had an electric brewing system.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #2334 on: July 08, 2018, 03:04:18 pm »

Did you do a single step mash? I tried a decoction mash, one and only while brewing an altbier, and discovered I would probably never do another one unless I had an electric brewing system.

Single infusion at 152*

Ralph R.

Offline rbartow

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2335 on: July 11, 2018, 09:10:58 am »
After 15 years I've finally converted to electric.  This coming weekend my inaugural batch on my Blichmann BrewEasy will be a Kolsch with WLP029.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:25:29 pm by rbartow »
Rick Bartow
Evans Mills, NY

Offline joeinma

• Cellarman
« Reply #2336 on: July 13, 2018, 10:51:05 am »
Brewing a Munich Helles tomorrow, dipping my toes in the LoDo method. 88.1% Pils, 9.8% Schill Kolsch Malt, 2.1% Acid malt.  Spalt, Tradition and Magnum hops.  WLP830 German Lager.

Offline tommymorris

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2337 on: July 15, 2018, 11:48:40 am »
Export Ale #5
1051 OG, 24IBu, 3 gallons
Hochkurz mash
97.5% Pilsner (Avangard)
2.5% Carahell
9.9 IBU Mittefrueh @ FWH (0.4 oz/3G)
9.8 IBU Tettnang @ FWH (0.35 oz/3G)
0.25 oz/3G Mittefrueh @ 10
0.25 oz/3G Tettnang @ 10
US-05 Slurry

Export Ale 4 also used US-05 and has significant peach ester. That was fermenter at 62F. I am fermenting this one at 67F. If that doesn’t go away I will be done with US-05. I have never had any esters with WLP001.

Export Ale 4 is now called a Kölsch.

- formerly alestateyall.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:56:42 am by tommymorris »

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2338 on: July 16, 2018, 02:54:35 pm »
Citrosaic Saison using only 1oz each of YHC Cryo Citra and Mosaic in the whirlpool

Pitched WLP565 (DuPont) and Belle Saison together at 65°F where I'll hold it for 3 days, open fermentation per the Drew Beechum method, then will allow it to free rise, and will start adding heat to get it into the upper 80s, low 90s

Rockin along this morning, probably gonna have a mess as the krausen is already touching the foil!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2339 on: July 18, 2018, 07:55:47 am »
Brewing a Eureka focused IPA this weekend (Eureka for all late/dry).

Still debating if I should go with my lighter west coast IPA malt bill (mostly 2 row and C15)or my maltier/more old school malt bill (2 row, munich, C60L).  any input there from someone who's used Eureka would be welcome.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281