Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423098 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2340 on: July 18, 2018, 02:11:07 pm »
I'm planning to brew a Belgian Blond on Sunday.

50/50 German Pilsner and Belgian Pale, a touch (I think 1 oz.) of acid malt, and a pound of cane sugar.

I'll probably bitter with EKG and finish with SG and Saaz and maybe dry hop a small amount.

I made a starter of Imperial Triple/Double (supposedly 3787 equivalent) that I harvested from a batch 2.5 months ago.  It took forever to drop clear last time, and I'm hoping it does better on repitch.  Otherwise, I won't use it again.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #2341 on: July 25, 2018, 08:24:22 am »
I'm planning to brew a Belgian Blond on Sunday.

50/50 German Pilsner and Belgian Pale, a touch (I think 1 oz.) of acid malt, and a pound of cane sugar.

I'll probably bitter with EKG and finish with SG and Saaz and maybe dry hop a small amount.

I made a starter of Imperial Triple/Double (supposedly 3787 equivalent) that I harvested from a batch 2.5 months ago.  It took forever to drop clear last time, and I'm hoping it does better on repitch.  Otherwise, I won't use it again.

Awesome, I'm thinking about a Belgian Blond this weekend too. Going for zero coriander/pepper type flavors so doing a bit of research on my yeast options.

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2342 on: August 05, 2018, 07:07:03 pm »
Brewed a porter last night using WLP 013 London Ale Yeast--a way to think of the fall in a middle of a hot stretch.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2343 on: August 05, 2018, 07:29:57 pm »
Brewed a Czech Dark Lager based on Pivovar Kout na Šumavě Koutský Tmavý Speciál 14° (http://www.pivovarkout.cz/eindex.html).  ...but mine  is more of a 13°. This will be my retirement beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:34:01 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

« Reply #2344 on: August 05, 2018, 07:39:51 pm »
Brewed a Czech Dark Lager based on Pivovar Kout na Šumavě Koutský Tmavý Speciál 14° (http://www.pivovarkout.cz/eindex.html).  This will be my retirement beer.

Did you base it on the recipe in Stan Hieronymous' Hops book, or did you have another approach?  (I've never had the real thing, but have brewed an enjoyable take on the recipe in the book.  Sans decoction.)  Oh, and congrats in advance on the retirement.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2345 on: August 05, 2018, 07:49:24 pm »
Brewed a Czech Dark Lager based on Pivovar Kout na Šumavě Koutský Tmavý Speciál 14° (http://www.pivovarkout.cz/eindex.html).  This will be my retirement beer.

Did you base it on the recipe in Stan Hieronymous' Hops book, or did you have another approach?  (I've never had the real thing, but have brewed an enjoyable take on the recipe in the book.  Sans decoction.)  Oh, and congrats in advance on the retirement.

I used an alternate source:

78% Pils (edit: Bohemian Floor-malted)
10% Munich II
10% Caramunich II
2% Carafa Special II

18 IBU Saaz bittering
8 IBU Saaz Aroma

Hochkurz mash.

My dealer’s stash of Bohemian was expired so I used German Pils yeast as a substitute.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:09:45 am by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

« Reply #2346 on: August 05, 2018, 07:56:22 pm »

78% Pils
10% Munich II
10% Caramunich II
2% Carafa Special II

18 IBU Saaz bittering
8 IBU Saaz Aroma

Hochkurz mash.

My dealer’s stash of Bohemian was expired so I used German Pils yeast as a substitute.

Pretty much the same grain bill, but yours looks about like my simplified version.  If I knew how to say Prost in Czech, I would; enjoy!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2347 on: August 05, 2018, 08:02:17 pm »

78% Pils
10% Munich II
10% Caramunich II
2% Carafa Special II

18 IBU Saaz bittering
8 IBU Saaz Aroma

Hochkurz mash.

Pretty much the same grain bill, but yours looks about like my simplified version.  If I knew how to say Prost in Czech, I would; enjoy!

Thanks!    Na zdravi!

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #2348 on: August 10, 2018, 04:35:30 pm »
Finally brewed this Tuesday, on a staycation day, the first time in 14 months. In between was buying a new home, the household move, a bazillion post-move projects and errands, the NorCal wildfires last fall (not too near us thankfully, but definitely an "event" where we ended up sheltering in place for a week), planting 18 rosebushes, stepping up the out-of-state visits to my 90-year-old mom, and a couple months on a low-carb diet to work off the extra pounds from a stressful year.

After a pleasant visit to my LHBS, I brewed a 3-gallon batch of ESB with Golden Promise and a dash of crystal malt and Kent Goldings, and pitched Wyeast ESB yeast. Everything went smoothly. I refreshed myself on how to adjust settings on my Johnson controller and got the fermenter in the little fridge, where it has been fermenting just like it should. I'm looking forward to kegging the batch. I lost an ancient fridge in the move that I used for the kegs so for a bit I'll be doing sequential batches.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #2349 on: August 10, 2018, 06:12:20 pm »
I just brewed and pitched the yeast for an oatmeal stout. Non traditional in that it’s in the 7.5 abv range, 20% oats.
I used freshly picked bullion hops from somebody in my hbc, and, imperial darkness yeast - smelled like a stout. It’s sitting around 65* in my fridge. Smelled really good. Hoping to keg it, but bottle a few off of the keg to give to the hop guy.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2350 on: August 11, 2018, 07:17:20 am »
Brewed a Pumpernickel Porter on Thursday (test batch #2).  Will  either be brewing my ESB in the next week or so or a Cascade wet hopped IPA if the hops are ready first.  I have nice large cones but they aren't papery to the touch yet.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

« Reply #2351 on: August 11, 2018, 12:08:36 pm »
Oktoberfest this morning.  Most years I forget to get one going on time, but I've wanted to try this for a while, a good platform finally to try, on its own, a malt I've used a lot in blends:

13.5°P  7 gal

100% Weyermann Bohemian Dark
~100ppm Ca,  SO4 and Cl
Hochkurz
1 oz Saaz (whole cone) FWH
2 oz @ start of 60 min boil
W-34/70
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2352 on: August 12, 2018, 09:17:43 am »
The boil is just starting on an APA this morning.  I decided to use Cara Rye (less than 10%) for color and flavor.  I will be using some Yakima Experimental Grapefruit hops (17.1%) in the freezer since Homebrew Con 2017.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2353 on: August 12, 2018, 11:29:47 am »
Chinook Blonde for the Scott Mackenzie HomeBrew Fest.

- formerly alestateyall.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #2354 on: August 17, 2018, 08:32:18 pm »
This afternoon a student worker at our university gifted me with half a grocery bag of fresh hops -- he wasn't sure what they were, but the LHBS lady thinks Cascade. I rearranged my schedule to get to the LHBS tonight and prep for an early brew day tomorrow (I'm an early riser, so if I don't have my strike water heating by 5:30 AM I consider myself wasting the day away). The fresh hops are in the fridge in a bag. I'm doing my take on Denny Conn's Wry Smile, something I brewed five or six times a few years back, nearly always with great results. Bittering with Columbus, then a massive whirlpool with the wet hops. Using White Labs San Diego yeast because the LHBS was out of Wyeast American Ale II.

The student worker (who is of drinking age  :) ) is very excited that I am doing this and it may push me into getting a beer gun so I can bottle from a keg, or I might give him a growler. Haven't bottled since I started kegging several years ago. Funny, two weeks ago was my first brew in 14 months and now I'm rushing to do a second! I finally made a brew gear checklist to make it easy to bring my gear from garage to kitchen (I brew 3 gallon batches and use the kitchen gas range).
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member