Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 420941 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2014, 02:10:57 pm »
Good luck with that time schedule Jonathan, let us know how it works out

Sent from Franx Brew Works using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Statsmats

• 1st Kit
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2014, 06:32:43 pm »
Brewed two extract kit batches this weekend: 1) A Raspberry Wheat (trying a mid-boil late extract addition to lighten the color). 2) Something called "Hopstache Black IPA" which used a new (to me) malt-based coloring agent called Sinamar. They both went into the buckets yesterday...awaiting signs of fermentation.

This was the official 6th and 7th batches I've brewed...have had mixed results (off-flavors, yeasty) with some of the brews and been working to continue improving the process...lots to learn about this brewing addiction!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2014, 06:38:44 pm »
Just mashed in on a hoppy session ale for a party next weekend (yikes). so here goes a test of the emergency 7 day grain to glass brewing system.

This one was going to be a DIPA but I didn't get to brew in time so instead of 5 gallons of DIPA I'll go with 10 gallons of session ale.

dropped the simple sugar and added a kg of medium crystal. dropped the columbus bittering addition and moved the citra/centennial/cascade FWH to 15 minutes out, combined the two dry hop additions into 1 (althugh I might end up hitting it with dry hops at day 3-4 for a couple days and then again in the keg.

I look forward to hearing how it comes out. Sounds good.
Jon H.

Offline Statsmats

• 1st Kit
« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2014, 07:11:32 pm »
Yes...I just realized I hooked my caboose on an old train...newbie mistake...thought the date listed in the post was the date of the post, not the particular weekend up for discussion.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2014, 07:39:51 pm »
Scottish Export last night (big surprise) and an old school APA with centennial and cascade

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2014, 08:09:49 am »
Yes...I just realized I hooked my caboose on an old train...newbie mistake...thought the date listed in the post was the date of the post, not the particular weekend up for discussion.

Ignore the date on the header. There used to be a new thread put up weekly for this, but we've all been using this post as an ongoing "what are you brewing?" post.

Speaking of which, I have an unplanned brewday coming up on Wednesday. I'm leaning towards ESB, but I'm not sold on it yet. The only definite is that I'm using WY1968 for the yeast.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I have a doppelbock on tap and a Baltic Porter next in line, so I'm looking for something 1.050's or smaller.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2014, 08:46:44 am »
Just mashed in on a hoppy session ale for a party next weekend (yikes). so here goes a test of the emergency 7 day grain to glass brewing system.

This one was going to be a DIPA but I didn't get to brew in time so instead of 5 gallons of DIPA I'll go with 10 gallons of session ale.

dropped the simple sugar and added a kg of medium crystal. dropped the columbus bittering addition and moved the citra/centennial/cascade FWH to 15 minutes out, combined the two dry hop additions into 1 (althugh I might end up hitting it with dry hops at day 3-4 for a couple days and then again in the keg.

I look forward to hearing how it comes out. Sounds good.
So far so good. Hit my numbers. Pitched two vials of wlp001 in one bucket and two packs of wyeast 1028 in the other. I wanted something more floculant but it's what the lhbs had on hand that wasn't 6 months old.

Pitched at 66 which is higher than I normally would but I want this to work quickly and a bit of fruitiness isn't the end of the world. This morning is bubbling away.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:48:17 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2014, 09:01:11 am »

Ignore the date on the header. There used to be a new thread put up weekly for this, but we've all been using this post as an ongoing "what are you brewing?" post.

Speaking of which, I have an unplanned brewday coming up on Wednesday. I'm leaning towards ESB, but I'm not sold on it yet. The only definite is that I'm using WY1968 for the yeast.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I have a doppelbock on tap and a Baltic Porter next in line, so I'm looking for something 1.050's or smaller.
I've been into brewing British styles lately. I did my first Wee Heavy Saturday. My suggestion would be an English IPA. I just did one with MO and a touch of 60L IIRC. I bittered with challenger and flavored and finished with EKG. Used 1968 in low 60's then ramped up after a couple days. I just finished drinking the batch and it went down super easy. I'm digging the balance of English Pale Ales/ESBs these days.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #248 on: December 10, 2014, 06:04:39 pm »
Gonna backsweeten and keg one of the ciders that's ready to go. Then brew an APA - OG 1.054/ 45 IBU, 88% 2row, 7% C40, 5% Victory. Using up some Cascade hops while they're still good, so it's gonna be old school all Cascade for finishing. Not reinventing the wheel, but it'll be good.
Jon H.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #249 on: December 13, 2014, 08:04:33 am »
Not reinventing the wheel, but it'll be good.

:) Sounds good!  I find myself leaning back toward old simple recipes these days.   I might try an all Mosaic/MO IPA this weekend.  Anybody have experience with an all Mosaic brew?

I nominate Blatz to start the 2015 What's Brewing this Weekend Thread in a couple weeks... ;D

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #250 on: December 13, 2014, 08:14:19 am »
Not reinventing the wheel, but it'll be good.

:) Sounds good!  I find myself leaning back toward old simple recipes these days.   I might try an all Mosaic/MO IPA this weekend.  Anybody have experience with an all Mosaic brew?

I nominate Blatz to start the 2015 What's Brewing this Weekend Thread in a couple weeks... ;D

All Mosaic works great in AIPA. Done it a couple of times. I'm not huge on single hop beers usually, but Mosaic has enough going on aroma-wise that it works. And with the MO base, it'd be really good.

EDIT -  Yeah, this thread has gotten some mileage on it this year .   ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:18:16 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #251 on: December 13, 2014, 10:17:24 am »
Halfway through the boil on my Bock and so far, so good. Preboil grav and vol dead on. Loving the new BruGear Kettle, but will even more so when I dont have to lift it any more
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #252 on: December 13, 2014, 10:27:55 pm »
Finally got a brew in today.  I made 11 gallons (eventually 2 cornies) of Hop-Fu Imperial IPA, the winner for that category in the 2014 National Homebrewers Competition (as printed in Zymurgy a while back).  Thankfully, I nailed the OG and volume.  I used 25.5 oz of pellet hops (well, including 8 oz set aside for dry hops).  So now there's room in my freezer for some more hops.  I normally would have gone with a stout or some such this time of year but wanted to use up some frozen/vacuum-sealed hops.

The hydro sample was amazing.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:29:34 pm by brewsumore »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #253 on: December 14, 2014, 08:19:10 pm »
gonna brew an IPA on Sunday morning instead of sleeping in on my birthday (crazy homebrewers). I think maybe only my third IPA, maybe 4th in 7+ years.

Then Monday I'm going down to SF to brew a 15 bbl batch of my sour farmhouse with cherries at Thirsty Bear.

milage indeed. I'm finally sitting down with a glass of the sour farmhouse with cherries I brewed back on the 20th of January. Got to pick up a sixtel of it yesterday and I just tapped it. pretty tasty. light and easy to drink but with a complex brett and lactic character. The cherries are a bit lacking. more a note in the background than anything else. In that sense it reminds me of the three philosophers from ommegang. of course it's more in the 4% range than the 11% like the  philosophers. But that just makes it more fun to drink a few of.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #254 on: December 14, 2014, 10:16:05 pm »
gonna brew an IPA on Sunday morning instead of sleeping in on my birthday (crazy homebrewers). I think maybe only my third IPA, maybe 4th in 7+ years.

Then Monday I'm going down to SF to brew a 15 bbl batch of my sour farmhouse with cherries at Thirsty Bear.

milage indeed. I'm finally sitting down with a glass of the sour farmhouse with cherries I brewed back on the 20th of January. Got to pick up a sixtel of it yesterday and I just tapped it. pretty tasty. light and easy to drink but with a complex brett and lactic character. The cherries are a bit lacking. more a note in the background than anything else. In that sense it reminds me of the three philosophers from ommegang. of course it's more in the 4% range than the 11% like the  philosophers. But that just makes it more fun to drink a few of.

Wow - awesome!  Obviously an American classic.  In case you've tried it, was it like a more sour version of the old New Belgium brew Transatlantique Kriek?  Or maybe the beer George Washington decided to brew and so chopped down the cherry tree?   :D