Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423275 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2460 on: January 12, 2019, 07:08:26 pm »
I got around to brewing my 300th batch today. A Belgian Triple with an OG of 1.082.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats on the milestone brew.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2461 on: January 12, 2019, 07:26:26 pm »
I got around to brewing my 300th batch today. A Belgian Triple with an OG of 1.082.

Congrats on the milestone brew.

Thanks. In the same vein of what you brewed recently, I’m revisiting a style that I brewed more often when I first started brewing 12 years ago. I have really gotten away from brewing Belgian beers and I’m not sure why. Maybe I got burned out on them, but I’m ready to start brewing more of them again. Come to think of it the only Best of Show that I won in a competition was a  Belgian Dark Strong.

Dan Chisholm

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2462 on: January 12, 2019, 07:37:50 pm »
"Old Hollybush"  Strong Mild Ale

This was, after Bitter,  the 2nd style I ever tried to brew way back when.   But I didn't know it then.   In the 80s, when colored-up, watered-down,  mid-century Mild was nearly extinct,  beers like this (really just pre-1917 style Mild it turns out) were readily available, often parti-gyled with the weak stuff (though I didn't know it.)  Confusingly,  it was always called "Old Ale," even though "old" is literally the opposite of "mild," and these beers were never aged; apparently it just meant "old fashioned," which it was.  I enjoyed the "Old Ale" style and tried to emulate it,  but not understanding it, I never really succeeded.   Now with a better grasp of the history and relationships within the Mild family,  and lots of Ron Pattinson's work to draw on, I think I can get where I was going.   Today's version:

12.6° P

Ca 104 Mg 10 Na 41 SO4 227 Cl 52

78% Chevallier pale 4.9% Amber  4.9% C77 12.2% No. 2 Invert

37 IBU (calculated in wort) 67% Cluster and Willamette FWH 33% Golding 15 minutes

Color adjusted to 14°SRM with cold-steeped black malt

S-04

(My original name for my version of the style comes from a pub,  the Holly Bush in Hampstead, where I enjoyed "Old Ale" and Modern Jazz.   I still fancy the ale, the jazz not so much.)
Sounds good.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2463 on: January 12, 2019, 07:44:23 pm »
"Old Hollybush"  Strong Mild Ale

This was, after Bitter,  the 2nd style I ever tried to brew way back when.   But I didn't know it then.   In the 80s, when colored-up, watered-down,  mid-century Mild was nearly extinct,  beers like this (really just pre-1917 style Mild it turns out) were readily available, often parti-gyled with the weak stuff (though I didn't know it.)  Confusingly,  it was always called "Old Ale," even though "old" is literally the opposite of "mild," and these beers were never aged; apparently it just meant "old fashioned," which it was.  I enjoyed the "Old Ale" style and tried to emulate it,  but not understanding it, I never really succeeded.   Now with a better grasp of the history and relationships within the Mild family,  and lots of Ron Pattinson's work to draw on, I think I can get where I was going.   Today's version:

12.6° P

Ca 104 Mg 10 Na 41 SO4 227 Cl 52

78% Chevallier pale 4.9% Amber  4.9% C77 12.2% No. 2 Invert

37 IBU (calculated in wort) 67% Cluster and Willamette FWH 33% Golding 15 minutes

Color adjusted to 14°SRM with cold-steeped black malt

S-04

(My original name for my version of the style comes from a pub,  the Holly Bush in Hampstead, where I enjoyed "Old Ale" and Modern Jazz.   I still fancy the ale, the jazz not so much.)

The Holly Bush is one of my all time favorite British Pubs.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2464 on: January 13, 2019, 06:25:10 am »
My Spider-Sense is telling me the Helles keg is running low.  Heading down to the basement to mash in another batch. 

Weyermann Pils 84%
Weyermann Vienna 9%
Weyermann Carahell 5%
Weyermann Acidulated 2%

FWH Spalt and Tettnang to 19 IBU

Augustiner yeast

Water
Ca: 30
Mg: 3
Na: 10
SO4: 40
Cl: 40

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2465 on: January 13, 2019, 02:14:52 pm »
My Spider-Sense is telling me the Helles keg is running low.  Heading down to the basement to mash in another batch. 

Weyermann Pils 84%
Weyermann Vienna 9%
Weyermann Carahell 5%
Weyermann Acidulated 2%

FWH Spalt and Tettnang to 19 IBU

Augustiner yeast

Water
Ca: 30
Mg: 3
Na: 10
SO4: 40
Cl: 40
She’s a beauty!

Dan Chisholm

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #2466 on: January 21, 2019, 12:01:32 am »
I've been watching from the sidelines for some time now.  Still really appreciate all that many of you do to make this forum interesting, informative, even cutting edge. 

Since mid-December I've brewed three 10-gal batches.  I have a German Pils lagering, and in the past week I've brewed a Kissmeyer Smoked Baltic Porter (BYO Jan/Feb 2013), and my version of a White IPA (as I told a friend, not the racist variety).  The first two went great, including home smoking pilsner malt with alder for the baltic porter.  But yesterday's brew of the Belgian Wit / American IPA hybrid, I forgot to add the FWH addition at the right time.  I caught the omission just as the wort was about to come to a boil, and just tossed in the bittering hops (13% Summit).  This error added 30 additional IBUs to the beer and per tasting the wort it's a hoppy monster.  Even though this beer is best young, I'm guessing I'll end up carbing it and tucking the 2 cornies in my wine cellar to mellow for a couple/few months.  Time will tell.

So, I kegged the White IPA today and was amazed that the hoppiness is ok - fairly intense, but with mostly late addition hops it packs tons of hop flavor (Summit bittering, late additions of Galaxy, Amarillo, Centennial, and Citra) but it doesn't have the bitterness intensity I was concerned about.  And once again, it just goes to show that you REALLY CANNOT predict a beer's perceived bitterness based on tasting the wort sample.  I'm saving the dry hops I'd set aside for a different beer.

Also, yesterday I brewed 10 gallons of a Chimay Red clone recipe (Belgian Dubbel) I cobbled together, using some ~45 L candi syrup I made myself, plus a little molasses.  Half will get racked on top of mixed cherry puree in secondary, ~2.5 lbs dark sweet cherries, ~5 lbs tart cherries.  I used Michael Tonsmeire's recipe for candi syrup which worked well for a not-too-dark candi syrup.

Offline Robert

« Reply #2467 on: January 25, 2019, 06:38:02 pm »
Planning another iteration of my Best (strong?) Mild/Old Ale (wait, might be a Brown Ale depending on... ah hell, this is why it's just XX in my brew logs,) tweaking the recipe from two weeks ago.   While snowed in last weekend, I got to making the correct Invert (No. 3, last time I just had No. 2 on hand,) and I'll use Sinamar instead of homemade cold-steeped black malt to more precisely adjust the color.   And I'm changing the hop bill to all Fuggles.   Because unlike certain eminent members of our community,  I like 'em.  ;)

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2468 on: January 26, 2019, 11:43:08 am »
Planning another iteration of my Best (strong?) Mild/Old Ale (wait, might be a Brown Ale depending on... ah hell, this is why it's just XX in my brew logs,) tweaking the recipe from two weeks ago.   While snowed in last weekend, I got to making the correct Invert (No. 3, last time I just had No. 2 on hand,) and I'll use Sinamar instead of homemade cold-steeped black malt to more precisely adjust the color.   And I'm changing the hop bill to all Fuggles.   Because unlike certain eminent members of our community,  I like 'em.  ;)

I am another one who likes them too, Rob.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #2469 on: January 27, 2019, 10:08:10 pm »
Yesterday brewed pretty much the Candi Syrup recipe for Westvleteren Blond, except used 50% pils as opposed to their all pale malt version.  And I used Imperial Triple Double instead of WLP 530.  Still, both are Westmalle yeast.
Mine came in 4 points high at 1.055.  Although it appears from my online research that most people prefer the Bru'n Water Yellow Balanced profile, I used Yellow Full, so higher % of chloride instead of sulphate.  The brewday went well.

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2470 on: January 28, 2019, 07:28:19 am »
Wherever the idea of setting FWH utilization as for 20 minutes came from (and I have heard of this notion before) it's unfounded nonsense.  If you expect, say, 25% utilization over a 60 minute boil, FWH might get you to 30% utilization.  That's why it was first done.   But there are so many other variables on the homebrew scale,  the actual difference is probably lost in the noise.   So in future you'll do well to regard FWH as identical to a full boil.  Meanwhile, RDWHAHB!

Not sure if it’s the original source but I read it in Gordon Strong’s Brewing Better Beer.

I am the first step in on a Strong Bitter.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:41:28 am by BrewBama »

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #2471 on: January 28, 2019, 09:35:26 pm »
I've seen this issue shared on this forum some years ago, maybe in the Northern Brewer Forum before that, as I recall, primarily originating from Denny.  He recommended setting the Pro Mash default for a FWH addition as a 20 minute addition, to account for the PERCEIVED bitterness it provides.

I too have been a long time Pro Mash user, and I believe it works pretty well, and I recall others having agreed as well.  I still use that as my Pro MAsh FWH default.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2472 on: February 02, 2019, 09:12:31 pm »
Brewed a Norwegian farmhouse ale, nailed my numbers after a few months off. Splitting the batch, fermenting half at 65 F and half at 93F. Had a chance to try out my sweet purple stir plate! Voss kveik for this batch, probably try to rest pitching rates for kveik with the next batch.

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
« Reply #2473 on: February 03, 2019, 03:12:41 pm »
Partial extract IPA

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #2474 on: February 03, 2019, 05:14:43 pm »
Brewed with a friend today. English barleywine using 40 pounds Maris Otter, 2 pounds crystal 77, 1 pound biscuit, 2 pounds jaggery sugar and 2 pounds table sugar. Challenger, Horizon, Fuggles (sorry Denny), and Kent Goldings hops. OG=1.096. I have high hopes for this one.

Ralph R.