Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421896 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2520 on: May 29, 2019, 01:25:00 pm »
I forgot to post, but this past weekend I brewed 20 gallons of Blind Pig IPA clone.  Two mash tuns, two kettles, and a temp controlled chest freezer as the ferment chamber (lid opened every once and awhile and fan to blow out the co2 - first couple of days).  It was a bit of a strenuous dance but all went well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2521 on: May 29, 2019, 04:09:11 pm »
Just put a German pils in the GC conical.  Programmed the fermentation schedule into the glycol chiller.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #2522 on: May 29, 2019, 04:11:13 pm »
I forgot to post, but this past weekend I brewed 20 gallons of Blind Pig IPA clone.  Two mash tuns, two kettles, and a temp controlled chest freezer as the ferment chamber (lid opened every once and awhile and fan to blow out the co2 - first couple of days).  It was a bit of a strenuous dance but all went well.

Nice!  I only ever had that beer once, and that was a handful of years ago, but I remember loving it.  Glad to hear it went well and hope it comes out tasting awesome!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2523 on: May 30, 2019, 01:14:30 pm »
Brewed an export lager yesterday.

OG 1.056  10 gallons

16 lbs. Avangard Pilsner malt
3 lbs. Durst Vienna malt
1.25 lbs. Weyermann CaraHell malt
0.75 lbs. Weyermann CaraFoam malt

Mash at 90 minutes at 158°F (over shot my strike temperature, mentally I am still winter brewing). Water treated with 1.5 tsp lactic acid, 2 tsp CaCl, and a pinch of Celtic sea salt.

Batch sparged.  I screwed up my mental math, and collected way too much wort, so I let it simmer down for 4 hours to collect 10 gallons.

5 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfrueh FWH
6 oz. Tettnanger last 30 min of the boil.

Pitched between yeast cakes of WLP800 Pilsner and WLP833 German bock yeast.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2524 on: May 30, 2019, 05:06:56 pm »

OG 1.056  10 gallons

3 lbs. Durst Vienna malt

Mash at 90 minutes at 158°F (over shot my strike temperature, mentally I am still winter brewing). Water treated with 1.5 tsp lactic acid, 2 tsp CaCl, and a pinch of Celtic sea salt.

Batch sparged.  I screwed up my mental math, and collected way too much wort, so I let it simmer down for 4 hours to collect 10 gallons.

Sounds awesome. I drank a butt load of Export when in Germany ‘87-‘90.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 05:37:03 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

« Reply #2525 on: May 30, 2019, 08:02:27 pm »

OG 1.056  10 gallons

3 lbs. Durst Vienna malt

Sounds awesome. I drank a butt load of Export when in Germany ‘87-‘90.

'87-'90 were the years I was impacting the Best Bitter supply in Oxford and London!  BrewBama, curious, what part of Germany were you in?  I did spend some time in '85 in Upper Bavaria, where the draught beer landscape was pretty much Hell and Dunkel.  Occasionally Pils.  The beers in the Export band, though not usually called such (tended to have "Edel-" in the name) were bottled products, but made quite a lasting impression on me.  Were you drinking *vom Faß*?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2526 on: May 30, 2019, 08:20:01 pm »
I was in Mannheim. The local was Eichbaum but I preferred Schmucker from the Odenwald. The schutzenhauses in Mannheim and Heidelberg were favorite haunts as was Woinemer— my favorite Hausbrauerie.

The wall fell while I was there. Trabbies everywhere. LOL
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 05:11:56 pm by BrewBama »

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2527 on: May 31, 2019, 01:54:37 pm »
Going to brew a simple APA this evening - Columbus for bittering with Cascade at 30 minutes and flameout

I'm planning to split the batch between two kegs and dryhop one with 2 oz. of Cascade and the other with 2 oz. of Galaxy to see how they compare.  I just bought some 3 gallon corny kegs for messing around with stuff like this.

I don't feel much like busting out the recirculating, electric system; I may do a simple hochkurz mash in the SS Brewtech tun instead.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Robert

« Reply #2528 on: May 31, 2019, 02:04:59 pm »
Going to brew a nice basic lager.  ~12°P.  Pale malt and 20% corn flakes.  For ~6.25 gallons, 2 oz whole cone Saaz FWH.   Not sure how I'll do hitting those targets, I haven't used corn in a while and I always mis-estimate my evap rate when the humidity first hits this time of year.  Doesn't matter.  This should really hit the spot when it's ready around August.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #2529 on: May 31, 2019, 03:48:24 pm »
I'm making a mead tomorrow with a buddy.  This will be his first time.  He's originally from Wyoming.  And thanks to his parents who drove out to visit him last year, we've got 5 gallons of Wyoming honey.  So we're doing a 1/2 barrel batch.  We're currently thinking 2/3 of it will stay a traditional mead, and 1/3 will get raspberries added.

Offline Robert

« Reply #2530 on: June 01, 2019, 12:36:14 pm »
Going to brew a nice basic lager.  ~12°P.  Pale malt and 20% corn flakes.  For ~6.25 gallons, 2 oz whole cone Saaz FWH.   Not sure how I'll do hitting those targets, I haven't used corn in a while and I always mis-estimate my evap rate when the humidity first hits this time of year.  Doesn't matter.  This should really hit the spot when it's ready around August.
Hit all my targets dead nuts, except exceeded on extract.  Was hoping to approach 12.5°P, got 13.0°P; must have got more out of the corn than I expected.  Everything smooth sailing.  Great brew day.  :)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2531 on: June 06, 2019, 07:55:44 pm »
I get to shoehorn in an unscheduled brew day tomorrow.  I have the ingredients for a German Pils on hand and with the dog daze of summer in the headlights I believe I will seize the opportunity. Plugging in the ingredients on hand into BeerSmith, I have a choice: either scale back to meet the guidelines or brew a “Hot Blonde”.

85% Pils
8.5% Vienna
4% Carahell
2.5% Acidulated

20 IBU Magnum @60
10 IBU Tradition @30
10 IBU Tradition @10

Imperial Harvest SnS starter

Offline tonyie

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2532 on: June 07, 2019, 05:34:00 am »
Yesterday night was ale, today will be lager and tomorrow will be brewing boza.

Also i want an ice maker for my freshly brewed beer because my refrigerator has stopped making ice and summers are about to come. I have read this guide and has found two options which are opal nugget and della portable and i am confused between these two options so please suggest me the best one out of these, it will be great if anyone would able to tell. I know this is off topic but had to ask this.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2533 on: June 09, 2019, 07:43:07 am »
2 Blond Belles
First time in a while brewing up a Belgian and the first time on the new system, which by the way is one year today.
It's always a great day to brew and it's always a brew day that's great!

Happy Mashing!!

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #2534 on: June 14, 2019, 09:54:59 pm »
Tomorrow I'll be brewing 20 gallons of German Hefeweizen (single infusion @ 152F) with 56% wheat malt and 44% Best Pils malt, using Imperial Stefon yeast.  Half is for a wedding rehearsal.