Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423000 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2640 on: August 18, 2019, 03:27:26 pm »
95% Wheat/5% C40 American Ordinary Bitter in the fermenter. Mosaic and Crystal at FWH, 5, and flameout. OG 1038, IBUs 32.

I was going for an APA but efficiency was terrible: 52%. Changed the hop bill after taking preboil gravity reading.

I started this batch in the Picobrew but had to move it to the Grainfather. Picobrew Z1 turned out to have a leaking drain plug which had nothing to do with the crazy malt bill. The leaking drain plug cause the Z1 to have heating errors because it could circulate wort. The drain pump wasn’t getting suction and therefore didn’t work.

So, there was bit of a mess pouring the mash into the GF but I got at least 95% of it in there. The GF made easy work of the 95% wheat malt. The 0.5 pounds of rice hulls may have helped.

This beer is for a internal home brew club competition. I am kind of glad this is the one that had problems because I don’t really care much about it.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2641 on: August 18, 2019, 07:44:17 pm »
How long did you mash?  If you mashed longer do you think you could have continued to gain SG points?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2642 on: August 18, 2019, 09:03:34 pm »
How long did you mash?  If you mashed longer do you think you could have continued to gain SG points?

I mashed 60 minutes. I am not sure.  I crushed 3 times to try to make sure I had a good crush. I used Viking wheat malt which has min 250 WK which equates to 76 Linter. Maybe 76 is enough to convert but it needs more time or maybe I should have gotten some alpha amylase.

During the mash I thought I had broken my Picobrew so my focus was elsewhere.

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2643 on: August 19, 2019, 06:22:46 am »

Definitely. I may not have even finished the brewday had I run into a roadblock like that. Good on ya.

FWIW I’ve noticed, given the setup of my equipment and my processes, that at 60 min in all barley malt (95% 2-row base) mash I am still gaining SG points. After 6 brewday data points the consensus is it takes 90 min in my brewery until I am no longer appreciably increasing. I’ve not looked at a wheat beer but thought with your very high wheat percentage you may still gain points as well.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:27:05 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2644 on: August 19, 2019, 06:30:34 am »

Definitely. I may not have even finished the brewday had I run into a roadblock like that. Good on ya.

FWIW I’ve noticed, given the setup of my equipment and my processes, that at 60 min in all barley malt (95% 2-row base) mash I am still gaining SG points. After 6 brewday data points the consensus is it takes 90 min in my brewery until I am no longer appreciably increasing. I’ve not looked at a wheat beer but thought with your very high wheat percentage you may still gain points as well.

Interesting. I think you’re right. I have had problems with wheat extraction in the past. I have recently tightened my gap but I broke off a set screw and can’t get any tighter until I dig that out.

One tidbit: I used 10% by weight rice hulls. There was absolutely no problem with recirculation.  Even in the Picobrew I think it was gonna work fine.

Offline Robert

« Reply #2645 on: August 25, 2019, 12:53:13 pm »
Export Helles, 80/20 Barke Pilsner / Barke Munich, 13.4°P, ~22 IBU Saaz, WY2206.

Shakedown cruise for a bunch of mods to the system.   All the numbers dead nuts, found only a couple of minor equipment issues to address.  Pretty good day.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2646 on: August 26, 2019, 07:39:02 am »
Busy weekend for me!  Brewed  11 gals of Black IPA on Saturday and 5.8 gallons of Tripel on Sunday, in addition to kegging my ESB.

Black IPA right on the numbers, 15 degrees Plato,  Tripel was a bit off because I misread the graduations on the kettle and over collected, ended up with  5.8 gallons after chilling instead of 5.5, which I was shooting for.  Hit 18 degrees Plato which is fine for a Tripel.  It's way easier for me to make a bigger batch than a smaller one!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2647 on: August 26, 2019, 10:08:29 am »
Doing a Rauchbier, homsmoked malts.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2648 on: August 26, 2019, 02:34:52 pm »
Export Helles, 80/20 Barke Pilsner / Barke Munich, 13.4°P, ~22 IBU Saaz, WY2206.

Shakedown cruise for a bunch of mods to the system.   All the numbers dead nuts, found only a couple of minor equipment issues to address.  Pretty good day.

Consider giving us a tour of the new setup and thoughts behind the changes.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #2649 on: August 26, 2019, 02:46:55 pm »
Did a session IPA/Pale ale with Aussie Hops I just bought
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Brent

• 1st Kit
  • TenSpeed Brewer
« Reply #2650 on: August 26, 2019, 03:40:08 pm »
This coming weekend is the annual Fresh/Wet hop IPA. Got lots of Cascade and Chinook to use up. No more drying hops for me.  ;D
Brent

Offline Robert

« Reply #2651 on: August 26, 2019, 03:53:39 pm »

Consider giving us a tour of the new setup and thoughts behind the changes.

The reason behind changes was, one, little things always occur to me and this is the time of year I do something about it, and two, I wanted to be able to do low oxygen without a new system -- simple LODO brewing if you will.  No desire for a bells and whistles brewery, but brewing mainly light lagers I can taste the need.  I figure with yeast oxygen scavenging and antioxidants, the little gaps remaining in my system are mostly harmless.  So the main changes I made and had to get used to working with were:

Caps for everything.   I still have the same rig.   Mash in kettle, transfer to round cooler LT, heat sparge in HLT, collect in 2 gallon bucket "grant," then to kettle.  So I found floating pans to fit every vessel including the grant, so surfaces are only exposed when I have to briefly remove the cap to check mash temperature or stir and ramp, add sparge water, etc.  It's a little juggling at those points, but was easy really, and I don't have to introduce pumps with their own drawbacks like shear and needing cleaning.  As the brew day went along, I happily realized I'm almost never looking at an open surface.  The wort is capped right up to boiling.  I also made a Reflectix jacket for my mash kettle so it holds temperature without opening up to stir and boost during the mash steps.  I didn't forget it was there and melt it with flame, so, cool.

Rebuilt LT, back to a ball valve.  For (I imagined) simplicity I had a bottling spigot on it, but that somehow always drew in air and I had a vortex of bubbles in the wort stream.  Only problem was a slight leak around the bulkhead I didn't find on a hot water test.  Sealed now.  (Silicone belongs on the list with duct tape and bailing wire, as in you can fix anything with.)

Big one, finally got a utility pump to recirculate ice water in my IC.   Had to get used to switching from tap water to ice mid chill, works fantastic.   Lager pitching temperature in under 30 minutes, no leaving wort in the fridge to cool.

One other thing I found, apropos of another thread today.   I had readjusted my mill gap.  Should have stopped one adjustment ago lol.

More changes on deck as fermentation goes along.   I've got Clear Beer systems for all my kegs, and built a new spunding valve using that Australian Blow Tie valve.  Far superior.   Going to start spunding, so I had to get used to a little different racking and pitching routine to prepare a FFT. 

Also have most of a roll of of EVA barrier tubing left from that, so I'm waiting for parts to arrive and I'll refit the keezer with all EVA barrier tubing and Duotight fittings on gas and liquid.

Some of this was incrementally added already, this is the first batch with the full new protocol.  I'll run it like this until I've fully evaluated the results.  The wort is absolutely popping with flavor.

Oh, and I designed a new, simplified brew day sheet.  Because yes, my sheets are still actual sheets of paper.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2652 on: August 26, 2019, 04:08:37 pm »
What utility pump did you choose for the IC?

Offline Robert

« Reply #2653 on: August 26, 2019, 04:15:03 pm »

Wayne 1/6 hp.  Was worried maybe I should have gone 1/4 hp, but this proved  to be plenty for the application.  Brand just because it's what was in stock locally.  This is one of those things where you say, why on earth didn't I do this long ago.

EDIT just a thought.   My IC is 50' x 3/8".  Perhaps if you have a 1/2" IC the extra horsepower/ gph  would be advisable.   No idea really, just something to consider.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:19:53 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2654 on: August 27, 2019, 06:49:17 am »

Wayne 1/6 hp.  Was worried maybe I should have gone 1/4 hp, but this proved  to be plenty for the application.  Brand just because it's what was in stock locally.  This is one of those things where you say, why on earth didn't I do this long ago.

EDIT just a thought.   My IC is 50' x 3/8".  Perhaps if you have a 1/2" IC the extra horsepower/ gph  would be advisable.   No idea really, just something to consider.

Rob, do you move your IC around in the wort for faster cooling or just let it sit there.  I know that moving it around might have the potential to introduce some O2 into the wort as you chill it but I found when I used to employ this method that you get a kind of insulating layer or cooler wort around the coil and it reduces the speed and efficiency of cooling.  For that reason, I used to move it around in the wort to expose the coil to the hotter wort and improve the cooling efficiency.  May you have conquered this with using Ice water.  Obviously, I don't use an IC anymore since I have a plate chiller and a counter flow as a backup.  Just curious though.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified