Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417246 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2715 on: October 25, 2019, 08:51:33 am »
I will be brewing ten gallons of Dunkel Saturday.
I bought a sack of Wyerman Barke Munich malt just for this and hopefully worked out the water chemistry correctly using Bru'n Water.
This is the first time I've made a Dunkel and I'm pretty exited about it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2716 on: October 25, 2019, 09:36:50 am »
Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.  While everyone is eating apple pie after Thanksgiving dinner, I will be in the recliner drinking this for dessert instead.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #2717 on: October 25, 2019, 01:18:56 pm »
Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.  While everyone is eating apple pie after Thanksgiving dinner, I will be in the recliner drinking this for dessert instead.

...watching the Dallas Cowboys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #2718 on: October 25, 2019, 01:30:46 pm »
Who has apple pie for Thanksgiving?  It's pumpkin or sweet potato, man!   But now you mention it, screw the pie.  Stout sounds much better. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #2719 on: October 25, 2019, 09:56:06 pm »
Apple pie AND stout
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Robert

« Reply #2720 on: October 25, 2019, 10:09:14 pm »
Apple pie AND stout
Yeah, apple pie and sweet stout or dark mild/brown ale is one of the all time great dessert pairings, I'll grant  you.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2721 on: October 26, 2019, 02:02:12 pm »
Area Code Blonde - attempt 3
92% Odyssey Pilsner (Root Shoots)
3% Honey Malt
5% Wheat Malt
22 IBU Amarillo @ 60
0.38 oz/2.75 gallons Willamette @ 5
M36 Liberty Bell Yeast

This is my 805 Blonde clone. I am hoping this one gets me where I want to be.

The last attempt was similar but used Root Shoots Genie Pale and Bry-97 yeast. It was tasty but too clean and too dark. I am not sure on the Pilsner versus pale ale malt. Basic 2-row pale is probably the right option but I don’t have any on hand.

The big change is the yeast. I used M36 on the first attempt. I miss that fruitiness.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2722 on: October 27, 2019, 02:27:49 pm »
Blackout Porter this weekend.
24 hours after pitching PG&E cut our power here in NorCal.  Fortunately I have a generator on hand to insure power to fermentation chamber and Keezer.  Temps are stable and the yeast is active.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2723 on: October 28, 2019, 05:24:36 am »
Blackout Porter this weekend.
24 hours after pitching PG&E cut our power here in NorCal.  Fortunately I have a generator on hand to insure power to fermentation chamber and Keezer.  Temps are stable and the yeast is active.
It sounds like you have your priorities straight.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2724 on: October 28, 2019, 11:15:34 am »
Friday I took advantage of the weather in the upper 60s, and brewed a Czech pilsener.

OG 1.048, 10 gallons

18 lbs. Weyermann floor-malted Bohemian pilsner malt
6 oz. Weyermann acid malt
1 lb. Weyermann carahell
1 lb. light crystal 8°L

Mash at 150°F for 90 min. Batch sparge

5 oz. Czech Saaz FWH
4 oz. Styrian Goldings 60 min
4.5 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh 10 min

I chilled and racked it into two fermenters, split with WY2278 Czech pils and 34/70 yeasts, and let them sit out overnight to further cool down. When I went to bed at 10:30 p.m. it was still 60°F.  When I got up is was 30°F, with 4 inches of snow on top of the bigmouth bubblers.  Wort was about 32°.  I brought them inside to warm up.  Now fermenting nicely in the chest freezer at 50°.

Oddest thing I saw between the two fermenters.  The WY2278 has the classic white fine krausen head, while the 34/70 has a similar fine krausen, but is brown.  I have never seen two krausen heads so completely different colored before from the same wort.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2725 on: November 04, 2019, 06:49:35 am »
My local brew club (the Wayne County Brew Club) got together on Saturday and brewed my Russian Imperial Stout.  This is a 22 degree Plato (1.092) beer.  It is now fermenting like a banshee!  Lost about a half gallon through the blowoff tube.  :( 

That said, what is left will be a good sipping beer.  It should come in around 9% or so.  I always enjoy brewing with a group like at the AHA Big Brew, but the amount of work it takes to organize one of these events, like getting the ingredients, making sure everything is weighed out, and addressing any issues before and during the brew day is getting to be a bit much.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2726 on: November 04, 2019, 07:32:42 am »
I bought a sack of Wyerman Barke Munich malt just for this and hopefully worked out the water chemistry correctly using Bru'n Water.

I really like Barke Pils for Bavarian beers. Let us know how you like the Barke Munich.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

« Reply #2727 on: November 04, 2019, 07:47:32 am »

I really like Barke Pils for Bavarian beers. Let us know how you like the Barke Munich.
I am sold on both.  Have not tried the Vienna as that doesn't figure into my standard recipes, but will continue to keep a sack each of Pilsner and Munich on hand.  Both have such full flavor they easily stand alone without the sort of blending (e.g. light and dark Munich, or a little something extra to enhance Pilsner) I've often done in the past.  Simple recipes featuring top notch ingredients is always my preference.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2728 on: November 04, 2019, 08:34:04 am »

I am sold on both.  Have not tried the Vienna as that doesn't figure into my standard recipes, but will continue to keep a sack each of Pilsner and Munich on hand.  Both have such full flavor they easily stand alone without the sort of blending (e.g. light and dark Munich, or a little something extra to enhance Pilsner) I've often done in the past.  Simple recipes featuring top notch ingredients is always my preference.

A friend who lived in Munich for 5 years said Augustiner uses raw Barke barley for their malt house input.

I like many of the Northern German Pilsners, and i think I liked Durst Pils for those. Found a source on First, so will get a bag sometime.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2729 on: November 04, 2019, 09:53:27 am »
I brewed a tripel on Saturday. Undershot my OG (1.068) as I collected too much wort and ended up with 12 gallons.

22 lbs. German pilsner
10 oz. German munich
10 oz. Belgian biscuit

Mashed at 148°F for 2 hours

5 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh FWH
6 oz. Styrian Goldings 60 min
6 lbs. table sugar

Let it cool overnight, and racked it Sunday. Split between WY3787 Trappist and WY3724 Belgian Saison.  Both are fermenting like gangbusters at 70°F.  I plan on adding a little heat to the WY3724 once it slows down.

Actually that's a pretty good OG for a tripel.  Try running the saison yeast as an open fermentation.

Yep.  I have the airlock off, and placed a bottle cap over the hole in the bucket lid.  That has worked well with this yeast in the past.

Kegged both of these this weekend.  The 3787 fermented for a month at 66°F.  Finished at 1.006.

The 3724 I fermented at 66°F as well, then I attached a brew belt and heated it to the upper 80s.  It finished at 1.000.  Lots of nice spicy phenols with fruit.