Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417263 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2910 on: May 25, 2020, 11:30:44 am »
German pils underway in the Grainfather.  Doing a step mash out of curiosity and because it's so easy.  145/30/ 158/30/ 168/20.  All Mecca Grade Pelton, bitter with Magnum, finish with Strisselspalt.  Diamond lager, 1 pack, no rehydration.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2911 on: May 28, 2020, 05:52:23 am »
I am brewing an APA featuring Falconers Flight hops today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fire Rooster

« Reply #2912 on: May 28, 2020, 09:08:32 am »
94 % Weyermann German Vienna
6% Great Western White Wheat

35 min 1 oz Centennial-Whole (9.5)
15 min Flamout/Whirlpool 1 oz Amarillo-Pellet (7.7) (first Time using Amarillo)

W-34/70

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:10:21 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #2913 on: May 28, 2020, 11:45:29 am »
My annual pineapple wheat
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #2914 on: May 28, 2020, 12:14:56 pm »
An American amber ale. First extract batch I've done in quite some time but need to do a quick one-off. Don't have the time or inclination for an extended brew day any time soon. Way back in the day most brew pubs had an amber on tap (I'm old-ish) and I enjoyed and drank many pints of them. A local place has a very craveable one that's inspired me to come up with a recipe for summertime quaffing.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2915 on: May 29, 2020, 06:22:09 am »
I’ll be brewing a Hefe on Monday.  Wish me luck; 5 of my 6 attempts have crashed and burned. 😩
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2916 on: May 29, 2020, 06:30:17 am »
I’ll be brewing a Hefe on Monday.  Wish me luck; 5 of my 6 attempts have crashed and burned. 😩
Any specific issues, or just bad luck?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2917 on: May 29, 2020, 12:42:50 pm »

I’m going after the classic banana essence.  I achieved it once many years ago and have not been able to achieve it since and I no longer have the notes from that batch.  This time, I’m going to try a 113° rest, I think it’s called a frolic acid rest???  I read that it helps in producing the essence I’m seeking without having to do a decoction.

I’ll accept any advice you can offer.  I’m actually not brewing till Monday so I have time to change up as needed.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2918 on: May 29, 2020, 01:23:17 pm »

I’m going after the classic banana essence.  I achieved it once many years ago and have not been able to achieve it since and I no longer have the notes from that batch.  This time, I’m going to try a 113° rest, I think it’s called a frolic acid rest???  I read that it helps in producing the essence I’m seeking without having to do a decoction.

I’ll accept any advice you can offer.  I’m actually not brewing till Monday so I have time to change up as needed.
The frulic acid rest is supposed to promote the clove-like ester.  In my opinion the temperature of the fermentation will be the deciding factor, slightly warmer (mid to upper 60sF) for more banana.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2919 on: May 29, 2020, 02:46:10 pm »
I’ll be brewing a Hefe on Monday.  Wish me luck; 5 of my 6 attempts have crashed and burned.

The frulic acid rest is supposed to promote the clove-like ester.  In my opinion the temperature of the fermentation will be the deciding factor, slightly warmer (mid to upper 60sF) for more banana.
68F fermentation temp and lower pitching rate for banana. One pack of liquid yeast with no starter for a 5 gallon batch.

And yes, the ferulic acid rest is for the clove precursor, not the banana.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2920 on: May 29, 2020, 03:11:55 pm »
I’ll be brewing a Hefe on Monday.  Wish me luck; 5 of my 6 attempts have crashed and burned.

68F fermentation temp and lower pitching rate for banana. One pack of liquid yeast with no starter for a 5 gallon batch.

And yes, the ferulic acid rest is for the clove precursor, not the banana.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Okay, great advise. I’ll certainly try that. I was planning on pitching light and fermenting warm. Now, I’ll avoid the Ferulic rest. Thanks for the input. I’ll report the results in a couple weeks!!

Cheers!
Joliet, IL

Offline tommymorris

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2921 on: June 06, 2020, 11:31:10 am »
I recently bought a sixes of SNPA with the 1980 labels. I liked it so much I am brewing the recipe from the Sierra Nevada web site.

Only minor changes: (1) I am using Root Shoots Genie Pale malt. It’s a bit darker than standard 2-row pale. (2) I also moving the 0 minute addition to dry hops.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:33:02 am by tommymorris »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #2922 on: June 17, 2020, 03:11:01 am »
80% Vienna
20% White Wheat

EST ABV 4.5%, 4.25 gallon

1 oz Centennial-Whole (9.5)
1 oz Amarillo-Pellet (7.7)
1 oz Simcoe-Pellet (12.7)

Hop schedule undetermined at this time.
Never used this hop combo before.
First time using BRY97

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #2923 on: June 17, 2020, 06:33:47 am »
i got my hands full this weekend, doing 2 experiments with kveik yeast a ipa with voss, a stout with hornidal also brewing a hefe
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #2924 on: June 17, 2020, 10:55:55 am »
Brewing my annual strawberry cream ale.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny