Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417300 times)

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #300 on: April 23, 2015, 07:34:13 am »
Double brew this weekend.

Single hop lager with DrRudi.
Black IPA inspired by Brew Dog's Libertine Black Ale.

All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #301 on: April 23, 2015, 08:27:49 am »
I will be brewing my house IPA described above. 75% Rahr 2row, 20% Weyerman Munich I, 5% Victory. 2 oz blend of Amarillo, Citra, Centennial, and Simcoe for FWH; 2 oz Columbus at 60, 4 oz of the same blend at 10 and 0 then dry hopped with another 4 oz of the blend. Targeting Martin's Pale Ale profile, and pH of 5.4. Will be the third iteration of this recipe, cant get enough of it.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #302 on: April 23, 2015, 09:41:38 am »
Ok, here we go, the clock is ticking.  My wife's due at any moment, and I'm knocking off the afternoon to rebrew for the NHC final round -- Dusseldorf Altbier.  I entered my last two bottles from an old batch as a Hail Mary and it's advancing, so I've gotta fastback this one.  Digging thru recent winning recipes, looks like the kids are brewing 'em extra malty these days, and I've scored well recently with this recipe:

1.053 - 1.011
45 IBU
16 SRM

55% Avangard Pils
40% Best Munich Dark
4% Weyermann CaraAroma
1% Weyermann Chocolate Wheat

Perle/Spalt bittering ~ 40 IBU
Mittelfrueh/Spalt finishing ~ 5 IBU inside 20 min

Step Mash 122-149-158
WY1007

Edit: by "wife's due" I mean about to give birth, not come home and catch me brewing!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:54:34 am by brewday »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #303 on: April 23, 2015, 10:04:25 am »
Assuming it stops snowing and raining long enough I'm going to brew a local malt farmhouse. just locally grown and malted 'base' malt and some flaked rye. Cleaning out the hops so using sterling, liberty, and hallertaur mitt. Belle saison yeast for simplicities sake.

If the malt performs well I'll be trying a ESB sometime in the next couple weeks. Landlord style.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #304 on: April 26, 2015, 02:47:11 pm »
Brewed my IPA yesterday. Great day for it, rainy and low 50s. After a slow boil (2 hours ) I got close to final volume of 6.75 gallons pre cooling. Started chiller and blew past the 180 I wanted to whirlpool at, lit the flame and then did 20 minute stand/whirlpool. As it turns out, I needed another 15 to 30 minutes in the boil, as I finished at 1.066 when shooting for 1.068 and had an extra quart. The bayou classic sure struggles on cold, windy days!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #305 on: April 26, 2015, 08:50:27 pm »
Today I brewed a variation on Mullerbrau's Two Hearted Ale clone (11 gal), and my first single hop ale using centennial.  I decided to use up some ingredients at home, so for his recipe's vienna I subbed mostly munich with a little victory, and for his crystal 20 I used a little less crystal 40, making up the difference with carapils.  And the nearly amber color is a contrast to the other 30 gallons I have going that are all light-colored beers, mostly German Pilsner and Munich Helles. 

Also, I used some frozen/vacuum-sealed fresh centennials from last September a friend gave me for the 15, 10 and 5 minute additions.  I used new pellet hops for the 75 and 40 min. additions.  In ProMash I calculated the fresh hops at 2% AA, and based on tasting the hydro sample I think I came close to hitting the calculated 50 IBUs.  I used nearly quadruple the amount of fresh hops as recommended for dry hops, not having any idea what %AA the fresh hops were, and boiled an extra minute on each of three additions while stirring.

Also, I ended up hitting 1.066 SG instead of Greg's 1.072 SG, an anticipated shortfall because I really knew that I had overestimated my brewhouse efficiency.  The 23 oz of fresh hops soaked up a lot of wort but I still got full volume into the fermenters plus a little.  US-O5, pitched at 62F and will ramp up to 65 over the next few days and then keep it at 66 - 67F.  I'll dryhop in the keg with 1 oz pellet hops per keg, or more depending on the taste when I rack to kegs.  It's only my second fresh hop beer; I was very pleased with results so far.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #306 on: May 08, 2015, 03:00:15 pm »
tomorrow is an ESB...new recipe so looking forward to results.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #307 on: May 08, 2015, 04:47:42 pm »
Sunday is a saison, first one in several months. Going simple with grist - 75% Dingemann Pils, 20% Vienna, 5% Wheat. Gonna see what saison strains are freshest at my LHBS. May blend strains, maybe not. Thinking some late Nelson hopping, for grape-ish character. Can't wait to brew saison when warm weather gets here (or anytime).
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #308 on: May 08, 2015, 05:10:37 pm »
Sunday is a saison, first one in several months. Going simple with grist - 75% Dingemann Pils, 20% Vienna, 5% Wheat. Gonna see what saison strains are freshest at my LHBS. May blend strains, maybe not. Thinking some late Nelson hopping, for grape-ish character. Can't wait to brew saison when warm weather gets here (or anytime).

+1.  I have been eyeing a couple strains at my LHBS and am looking forward to letting the heat help me attenuate without a ferm wrap and temp control. 

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #309 on: May 09, 2015, 10:10:52 am »
I envy you fellas that get to brew on a weekend. Hopefully Wednesday I'll be brewing a clone of shiner bock. A friend tried the clone at a local event put on by the LHBS, and offered to pay for it if I brewed it. Very different than anything I've brewed before, but free is free right?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #310 on: May 10, 2015, 12:58:52 pm »

Everything went well. Volumes spot on, OG was a point over target. All in all it was good brewing day. Gonna brew again Friday - haven't brewed twice in a week for awhile. Good times.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #311 on: May 10, 2015, 01:04:06 pm »

Everything went well. Volumes spot on, OG was a point over target. All in all it was good brewing day. Gonna brew again Friday - haven't brewed twice in a week for awhile. Good times.

same here. ESB fermenting nicely at 65F.  what saison yeast did you end up with?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #312 on: May 10, 2015, 01:10:47 pm »

same here. ESB fermenting nicely at 65F.  what saison yeast did you end up with?

3724. Using foil over the open airlock gasket per Drew B. Gonna see how low I can get it using this method. If it stalls I have some 3711 to finish the job, worst case. Love Dupont.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:00:31 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #313 on: May 11, 2015, 10:17:58 am »

Jon, what's your water profile look like for Saison?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #314 on: May 11, 2015, 10:31:31 am »

Everything went well. Volumes spot on, OG was a point over target. All in all it was good brewing day. Gonna brew again Friday -

haven't brewed twice in a week for awhile. Good times.

Jon, what's your water profile look like for Saison?

Went Yellow Balanced this time to the numbers. Works pretty well IMO.
Jon H.