Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417407 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3000 on: August 29, 2020, 09:48:06 am »
Brewing my wet hopped IPA today with Cascade I picked yesterday.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Those cones definitely look like Cascade.

Again I say that once it's possible again, you need to go to Yakima for Hop and Brew School.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #3001 on: August 29, 2020, 09:48:23 am »
Planning on a Dampfbier tomorrow. Never tried one and looking forward to it.
Ralph R.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3002 on: August 29, 2020, 12:28:06 pm »
American Pale Ale with Chinook and Cascade. Using BrewBama’s grain bill and SNPA’s hop schedule.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #3003 on: September 05, 2020, 10:50:42 am »
Currently on the boil for an American session pale ale with African Experimental U1/108 hops and Hornindal Kveik.

Recipe is 84% Vienna malt, 11% light Munich, 5% crystal 40, mash at 156. Boil for 45 minutes, with Magnum at the start, and African Experimental U1/108 for 5 minutes and then 10 minute whirlpool. Hornindal Kveik Yeast (OYL-091)...with SoCal temps around 110 this weekend, a kveik seemed timely! Target is a 5.5 gallon batch with 1.043 o.g., 4.3% abv, and ~45 IBU.

This is my first time fermenting with any kveik strain, and the descriptor for the yeast seemed like a good match on the descriptor for the hops. I saw the U1/108 at my local homebrew shop, and thought I'd give them a try. If the turnaround on this beer is anything like the yeast reputation, I should be able to report results before too long!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3004 on: September 05, 2020, 11:33:03 am »
I filtered water and measured out grains for a brewday tomorrow.  It's a generically-termed "German Lagerbier"... 80/20 Best Malz Pils and Barke Vienna.  About 21 IBUs of Spalt from the start of the boil and Omega Bayern.  It's helles-ish.  It will be gold, smooth, balanced and lagery.  :P  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3005 on: September 05, 2020, 12:19:53 pm »
Not brewing but I have a batch of wild blackberry wheat beer to bottle probably tomorrow.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #3006 on: September 05, 2020, 06:36:26 pm »
Fresh hop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3007 on: September 06, 2020, 08:57:43 am »
Brewing my wet hopped IPA today with Cascade I picked yesterday.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Those cones definitely look like Cascade.

Again I say that once it's possible again, you need to go to Yakima for Hop and Brew School.

Agreed!  We can then hjave a couiple beers together!
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3008 on: September 06, 2020, 09:06:00 am »
Made my Amarillo IPA yesterday using he yeast slurry from my "fresh hopped" beer.  That said, it was the "brew day from hell".  While cleaning my fermenter, my Riptide pump decided it was time to cease living and quit pumping while making a ghastly noise.  Fortunately, I have a brew buddy that lives 10 minutes away that has the same pump.  I borrowed it to complete the brew day.  I also trouble shot the old pump (which was only a year and a half old) by substituting parts to no avail.  Ordered a new pump yesterday and it should be here next week.

The beer did come out great, although my mash was an hour and a half long while trouble shooting the pump, which is not a problem.  I was only 2% under my target OG which is close enough for me!  It is doing its thing in the fermenter.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3009 on: September 06, 2020, 09:11:36 am »
... "brew day from hell"...

I’ve had a cpl of those. Plan A rarely survives initial contact. The good thing is you have the experience to recognize the problem quickly, solve it, and continue the mission.

Cheers!

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3010 on: September 07, 2020, 07:39:48 am »
... "brew day from hell"...

I’ve had a cpl of those. Plan A rarely survives initial contact. The good thing is you have the experience to recognize the problem quickly, solve it, and continue the mission.

Cheers!

Yup, thanks!  It ddid generate a lot of cuss words in the brewery on Saturday though!

I have an old March pump that has a Chugger head on it that didn't have enough oomph to push cleaner and sanitizer through my inline screen and plate chiller.  I am considering ordering a Riptide head for it so that I can have a backup here in my brewery.  It will be good insurance.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3011 on: September 08, 2020, 09:43:17 am »
Brewing a lager based largely on Sam Adam's Boston Lager. Trying a pressurized ferment with 34/70 at ale temps under 15 PSI.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3012 on: September 10, 2020, 10:44:39 am »
First time brewing beer in a long time this weekend. I have done the usual amount of mead and cider the last couple years but the lack of a dedicated brewery and other stuff to do has been creating a lot of resistance.
I hope to brew two beers in the next few days.
First a bitter. A little non traditional in that I have some pale malt to use up from my local maltster so I am not using British malts.
I intend to do this:
99% pale malt
1% black malt for color
Styrian Golding’s and EKG
WY1469
Plenty of gypsum.
The other will be a pale ale with my own hops that are drying in my cellar right now. Galena for bittering and cascade divided between whirlpool and dry hoping. Probably Chico yeast, maybe 80% pale malt and 20% Munich.
Wish me easeful brew days!

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3013 on: September 11, 2020, 09:13:26 am »
First time brewing beer in a long time this weekend. I have done the usual amount of mead and cider the last couple years but the lack of a dedicated brewery and other stuff to do has been creating a lot of resistance.
First a bitter. A little non traditional in that I have some pale malt to use up from my local maltster so I am not using British malts.
I intend to do this:
99% pale malt
1% black malt for color
WY1469
Plenty of gypsum.
The other will be a pale ale with my own hops that are drying in my cellar right now. Galena for bittering and cascade divided between whirlpool and dry hoping. Probably Chico yeast, maybe 80% pale malt and 20% Munich.

You can't go wrong with 1469 and Goldings, no matter what base malt you use. Hopefully you have an uneventful brew day!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3014 on: September 11, 2020, 11:40:11 am »
I intend to do this:
99% pale malt
1% black malt for color
WY1469
Plenty of gypsum.

You can't go wrong with 1469 and Goldings, no matter what base malt you use. Hopefully you have an uneventful brew day!
Well, brewing must be like riding a bike. Or my long hiatus has made me eligible for beginners luck. Hit all my volumes and gravities and have 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. Everything tastes, looks, and smells great. The only place where my rustiness showed was in my efficiency time wise. I think I can shave 45 minutes off the next brew day.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.