Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421672 times)

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3060 on: October 24, 2020, 10:00:01 am »
So last weekend I didn't get to brew my Burton.  On Friday I was making the invert sugar, and had a slight mishap.  Long story short, there was a gigantic mess and I lost all my invert.  So that brew has been delayed a couple weeks.

But this weekend I'm going back to a beer I haven't done for several years.  Heather Ale.  I just finished the starter a few minutes ago.
Hope part of the mishap wasn't getting some on you. I have gotten hot syrup, and even worse, caramel on me before. Not fun!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Just on my clothes a little.  So no burns thankfully.

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3061 on: October 24, 2020, 11:32:24 am »
Brewing an Old Rasputin inspired RIS. Using ingredients on hand, seems pretty close to a couple of recipes that look good.
I will be using the cake of 1450 from a rye porter I kegged today.
Turns out this is the biggest beer I can make in my mash tun.

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online tommymorris

« Reply #3062 on: October 24, 2020, 12:02:26 pm »
Brewing an Old Rasputin inspired RIS. Using ingredients on hand, seems pretty close to a couple of recipes that look good.

Oh, come on! Don’t sell yourself short. I see at least another half inch of useable tun ;)

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3063 on: October 24, 2020, 05:09:09 pm »

Oh, come on! Don’t sell yourself short. I see at least another half inch of useable tun ;)
Your right, and I missed OG by a few points, should have had more base malt. The wort was delicious though, I honk it will be good.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3064 on: October 26, 2020, 08:20:12 am »
I am mashing my tip-of-the-hat to Ken’s Shiner homage now.  I am not a huge fan of corn in my brews but I’ll give it a shot to try to replicate this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3065 on: October 26, 2020, 08:54:47 am »
I am mashing my tip-of-the-hat to Ken’s Shiner homage now.  I am not a huge fan of corn in my brews but I’ll give it a shot to try to replicate this one.
I hope it comes out well for you.  Doing some homework I found some sources that said that corn grits were used in the beer which would not surprise me.  Other sources said that it was an all-malt beer.  If you decided that the corn was not to your liking I'm sure you could skip it since it's only around 10% of the grist.  Just make it up with pilsner malt or something.  I just put the latest version of the American Bock (made with 940) on tap over the weekend when my keg of festbier went down.

For next weekend I have a Munich Dunkel planned.  60/40 Munich 2 and Pilsner and then 3 ounces of Carafa III.  Northern Brewer to bitter to about 23-24 IBUs and then an ounce of Hersbrucker at 15.  Omega Bayern yeast which will probably be retired afterwards.

Cheers Beerheads!

EDIT:  I just found this.  33% corn?  Not sure if I believe that but you never know.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 09:00:20 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3066 on: October 26, 2020, 10:13:37 am »
I also did some research where I consulted other recipes and interviews with the brewer. So... I used 8% Flaked Corn. I may adjust upwards after thorough sensory analysis

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3067 on: October 26, 2020, 11:01:10 am »
I also did some research where I consulted other recipes and interviews with the brewer. So... I used 8% Flaked Corn. I may adjust upwards after thorough sensory analysis
LOL, yes please do be thorough.  We homebrewers are a thorough bunch.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 

Online tommymorris

« Reply #3068 on: October 26, 2020, 01:12:39 pm »

Can you taste the corn? My favorite recipe right now is 78% Pils or 6-row : 22% Flaked Corn in a CAP. I am not sure I can taste the corn at-least not as a corn flavor. I think there’s a lighter body and flaked corn makes room for the hops to shine.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3069 on: October 26, 2020, 01:22:35 pm »

Can you taste the corn? My favorite recipe right now is 78% Pils or 6-row : 22% Flaked Corn in a CAP. I am not sure I can taste the corn at-least not as a corn flavor. I think there’s a lighter body and flaked corn makes room for the hops to shine.
I brew a lager using 20% flaked corn and I definitely can taste it. It's subtle, but there's a bit of a sweet corn flavor there. At about 10% I don't really taste it, but that's in English ales where the subtlety might get lost.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3070 on: October 26, 2020, 01:41:27 pm »
I very rarely go over 10%.  I feel like using corn in an American or Mexican beer is a kind of formality... the commercial brewers use it (well, some do) and it does lighten the body so the presence of the corn is having SOME impact on the beer.  When I was a young brewer I remember people saying that corn would make a beer drier because of the high fermentability of the flaked corn.  But now it seems like most brewers suggest that corn brings sweetness and to be honest... I'm not a fan of sweet beer. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3071 on: October 26, 2020, 03:23:22 pm »
It’s been so long since I used corn I can’t tell how it will impact the beer.  ...and it’s only 8% so we’ll see.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #3072 on: October 29, 2020, 10:08:26 am »
I hadn't brewed published recipes for such a long time (though I often look at them for inspiration or ideas), but my last brew was a close adaptation of Mike McDole's Session Ale https://drinkdrakes.com/news/do-it-yourself/homebrewers-make-a-session-beer/, and it got me thinking about brewing an old classic homebrew recipe, so this weekend I will be brewing Evil Twin Ale from Jamil Zainasheff/Heretic Brewing https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/evil-twin/.

As I understand it, that recipe evolved over time (it wasn't originally dry-hopped) and I am going to try it out with half dry-hopped (with 5 oz hops for 6 gallons of beer) with US-05 and half not dry-hopped and featuring Verdant IPA yeast. I figure the Verdant one will come out a fair bit maltier and fruitier, so it will be more like a "Winter Red Ale" than the Red IPA-style of the dry-hopped version. I fully expect both to be good beers and I also expect the dry-hopped one to get drunk much faster than the Verdant one. Because of loss to hop absorption, I will probably put 5.25 gallons in one fermenter and 6.25 gallons in the other.

I will be making two ingredient changes out of necessity. I am out of pale chocolate malt and swapping it with Chocolate Rye malt of a similar color. I am also using Viking Cookie Malt instead of Victory Malt because I have it on hand, as well. I can actually get Heretic beer in stores here (usually not super fresh, though), so I am looking forward to drinking all three together and maybe giving my wife a blind taste test.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #3073 on: October 29, 2020, 12:01:53 pm »
Christmas Ale.  Avery Jubilation rip-off with spices and spruce.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3074 on: October 29, 2020, 12:59:51 pm »
Christmas Ale.  Avery Jubilation rip-off with spices and spruce.
I never knew which lead to follow with Avery Old Jubilation;

their list of malt:

Black
Chocolate
Bonlander Munich
Gambrinus Honey
2-Row

...or their recipe:

88.3% 2-Row,
4.7% Special Roast,
4.7% Victory,
1.6% Chocolate Malt,