Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421934 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3150 on: December 31, 2020, 09:44:18 am »
A Leicht Helles Bier on the Foundry system this afternoon - still chasing the unicorn, but nipping at its tail.  This one is a mix of Best Pils and Proximity (3.5 lbs each) with .5 lb CaraHell (10L) and .25 lb acid malt.  Lightly hopped with .5 oz Magnum FWH and Mittelfruh at 10'.  S-189 1st repitch.  Trying the Helles end of the Leicht bier spectrum after several fairly successful runs at the Pils end of the pool lately.

What’s your take on proximity pils? Just purchased a sack of it. Normally a continental pils guy.

I like it and buy it when there is no continental 2 row available at my LHBS (I buy by the sack and store in Vittle Vaults with gamma seal, so a sack may last me three-six months or more, depending on brewing regularity).  It puts out a lot of break, so my run off after boil is not always crystal clear, but the end beer always turns out exceptionally bright (so don't fear the puffy break it gives in the chilling kettle - I use a CuSS, hydra-like IC sized for the Anvil Foundry 10 gal urn, so it chills quick and the break clears, but has the spongy looking protein clouds in it).  I would say give it a shot.  Some folks said that the Proximity guys were in litigation with a major US Maltster, but I think it had to do with contractual non-compete clauses of some senior executives that founded the Proximity company after departing their old employer.  That appears to be resolved and I have no hesitation using their product.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3151 on: December 31, 2020, 09:48:09 am »
A Leicht Helles Bier on the Foundry system this afternoon - still chasing the unicorn, but nipping at its tail.  This one is a mix of Best Pils and Proximity (3.5 lbs each) with .5 lb CaraHell (10L) and .25 lb acid malt.  Lightly hopped with .5 oz Magnum FWH and Mittelfruh at 10'.  S-189 1st repitch.  Trying the Helles end of the Leicht bier spectrum after several fairly successful runs at the Pils end of the pool lately.

What’s your take on proximity pils? Just purchased a sack of it. Normally a continental pils guy.

I like it and buy it when there is no continental 2 row available at my LHBS (I buy by the sack and store in Vittle Vaults with gamma seal, so a sack may last me three-six months or more, depending on brewing regularity).  It puts out a lot of break, so my run off after boil is not always crystal clear, but the end beer always turns out exceptionally bright (so don't fear the puffy break it gives in the chilling kettle - I use a CuSS, hydra-like IC sized for the Anvil Foundry 10 gal urn, so it chills quick and the break clears, but has the spongy looking protein clouds in it).  I would say give it a shot.  Some folks said that the Proximity guys were in litigation with a major US Maltster, but I think it had to do with contractual non-compete clauses of some senior executives that founded the Proximity company after departing their old employer.  That appears to be resolved and I have no hesitation using their product.

LHBS said they have connections with briess and malteurop. I like the idea of using something local to me so keeping my fingers crossed.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #3152 on: December 31, 2020, 08:05:53 pm »
Early last year 10 members of my local club and I each brewed 5 gallons of the same recipe of Russian Imperial Stout with the idea of having a collaboration barrel-aged brew in a used Jack Daniels barrel.  Unfortunately, the side blew out of the barrel a month or so after filling it, and we lost the entire batch.  I really liked the recipe and the small taste of my beer that I did get before it was racked into the doomed barrel.  (We've since done it again, this time with the Black is Beautiful recipe and a Four Roses barrel, and all appears to be well so far.)  That said, I'm brewing the original RIS for myself once again on New Year's day. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3153 on: January 02, 2021, 02:01:46 pm »
It’s a mead weekend. Yesterday I bottled and racked into an oak barrel five gallons of maple mead. Today I racked from secondary into tertiary for cellaring five gallons each of blueberry, mixed berry, elderberry, and dandelion.
I am about to inventory and thaw all the berries we picked this past season and froze. I am hoping to make 15-20 gallons of mixed berry. We also froze some wild grapes for pyment, hoping to crank those out in the coming days. I also want to do something unusual, maybe a methlegin.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:56:20 pm by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3154 on: January 03, 2021, 03:41:19 pm »
The brewery is setup for an early start on a Cal Common

Edit: after a cpl day delay, strike water is on the cooktop now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:21:33 am by BrewBama »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3155 on: January 07, 2021, 07:16:06 am »
Ramping up to mashout on my Ale right now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3156 on: January 10, 2021, 06:27:36 am »
Tomorrow Morning

AG Batch #47, 4.5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

4 lbs Ursprung Fest
4 lbs Vienna

FWH, 22 grams, 2020 Mt Hood-Dried Whole Leaf (4.7AA)
Total hop exposure 1 hour.  (30 min to boil, 30 min boil)

60 min Mash
30 min Aggressive Boil

Last 20 minutes tossed in hop spider
8 grams, Dried Bitter Orange Peel
8 grams, Dried Sweet Orange Peel

Nottingham @ 58f, 3 weeks
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 02:25:19 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline tommymorris

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3157 on: January 10, 2021, 10:51:17 am »
It’s extract day. Bringing 6 lbs of Williams American Lager LME to boil in 3.5 gallons of water. Plan to top up to about 1053 OG. Hoping for about 4 gallons of hoppy CAP. Edelweiss hops all the way.

So, far the hardest part of extract brewing is getting the LME out of the bag. It shipped in a thick walled plastic bag. I cut it open, poured it in the water (it pours very slowly), and then rinsed the bag with wort 3 times. I got 99% of the LME into the kettle. Minor spillage.

I decided to add all the LME for the whole boil. I didn’t want to mess with holding some for flame out. It was a pain to add so I decided to get that all over with at once. Hopefully, the beer isn’t too dark but whatever. I can live with that.

Edit: to get 1053 OG I had to top up to 4.5 gallons. That’s about 1/2 gallon more than I expected. I guess the LME is a bit higher gravity than I thought. Williams doesn’t post a expected PPG and I didn’t ask them for one.

Double edit: I dropped my fermenter. 2.5 gallons on the ground. This is now a 2 gallon batch!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 04:46:28 pm by tommymorris »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3158 on: January 11, 2021, 04:42:53 pm »

It’s extract day. Bringing 6 lbs of Williams American Lager LME to boil in 3.5 gallons of water. Plan to top up to about 1053 OG. Hoping for about 4 gallons of hoppy CAP. Edelweiss hops all the way.

So, far the hardest part of extract brewing is getting the LME out of the bag. It shipped in a thick walled plastic bag. I cut it open, poured it in the water (it pours very slowly), and then rinsed the bag with wort 3 times. I got 99% of the LME into the kettle. Minor spillage.

I decided to add all the LME for the whole boil. I didn’t want to mess with holding some for flame out. It was a pain to add so I decided to get that all over with at once. Hopefully, the beer isn’t too dark but whatever. I can live with that.

Edit: to get 1053 OG I had to top up to 4.5 gallons. That’s about 1/2 gallon more than I expected. I guess the LME is a bit higher gravity than I thought. Williams doesn’t post a expected PPG and I didn’t ask them for one.

Double edit: I dropped my fermenter. 2.5 gallons on the ground. This is now. 2 gallon batch!

Dang that sucks! Feeling your pain...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online BrewBama

« Reply #3159 on: January 11, 2021, 04:44:43 pm »

Double edit: I dropped my fermenter. 2.5 gallons on the ground. This is now. 2 gallon batch!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3160 on: January 14, 2021, 02:09:03 pm »
Feeling tired I went to sleep early, woke up at 3:00 am.
Oh no, what do I do with myself, I know, make beer !
Off to the races.

AG Batch #44, 4.5 gal

8 lbs Pilsner (Epiphany)

FWH = 21 grams, 2020 Mt Hood-Dried Whole Leaf (4.7AA)

90 min Mash
30 min Aggressive Boil

S-04 Pitched into 57f wort, basement ambient 59f.
Time will tell what temp it raises to.

Last chance for pilsner malt.  If recalled correctly didn't care for it.

First taste, very, very good.
Shocked, thought I didn't like pilsners, I was wrong.
Wife said best beer I've made so far, she rated it 8.5 (1-10)
Excellent balance between hops and malt.
Light, smooth, easy drinking, very subtle lemon note.
Excellent foaming and lasting head.  A bit thin needs more body.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 01:58:56 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #3161 on: January 15, 2021, 01:04:39 pm »
Long weekend, not a lot to do. A "Cascadian" Pale Ale, New Belgium Abbey Dubbel recipe from BYO as the beer has been discontinued and I want to have it ready for Flagship February... If that's still a thing.. and then a hefeweizen for a Kristalweizen test batch for a club only competition come March.. if we are still doing that..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3162 on: January 15, 2021, 02:45:35 pm »
I had an American Wheat and an Irish Red Ale on deck for today but we had a snowstorm last night.  I going to try and get them done tomorrow or Monday now.

My snow blower broke down this morning. :(  It's in for repair now and I'm reduced to shoveling. ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3163 on: January 18, 2021, 07:20:30 am »
Brewing an Altbier today. First brew of 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3164 on: January 21, 2021, 03:47:09 am »
Tomorrow Morning

AG Batch #48, 4.5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

4 lbs Epiphany Ursprung Fest
4 lbs Epiphany Foundation (2-row)

FWH, 22 grams, 2020 Mt Hood-Dried Whole Leaf (4.7AA)
Total hop exposure 1 hour.  (30 min to boil, 30 min boil)

60 min Mash
30 min Boil

Last 5 minutes
25 grams, Curacao Dried Bitter Orange Peel

S-04 @ 57f, 3 weeks
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 04:19:43 am by Fire Rooster »