It’s extract day. Bringing 6 lbs of Williams American Lager LME to boil in 3.5 gallons of water. Plan to top up to about 1053 OG. Hoping for about 4 gallons of hoppy CAP. Edelweiss hops all the way.
So, far the hardest part of extract brewing is getting the LME out of the bag. It shipped in a thick walled plastic bag. I cut it open, poured it in the water (it pours very slowly), and then rinsed the bag with wort 3 times. I got 99% of the LME into the kettle. Minor spillage.
I decided to add all the LME for the whole boil. I didn’t want to mess with holding some for flame out. It was a pain to add so I decided to get that all over with at once. Hopefully, the beer isn’t too dark but whatever. I can live with that.
Edit: to get 1053 OG I had to top up to 4.5 gallons. That’s about 1/2 gallon more than I expected. I guess the LME is a bit higher gravity than I thought. Williams doesn’t post a expected PPG and I didn’t ask them for one.
Double edit: I dropped my fermenter. 2.5 gallons on the ground. This is now a 2 gallon batch!