Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423258 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3225 on: March 20, 2021, 05:14:13 pm »
Right now I'm on the boil for a Belgian quad to go toward my homebrew club's barrel project. It has been a looooong brew day, to get this down to the right gravity. I overshot the initial volume a bit, and finally got it where I wanted it to be for gravity. But, I did get super good efficiency (74%) for a beer of this gravity, so I can be happy about that!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3226 on: March 21, 2021, 12:40:41 pm »
Boiling a brown porter now.  I mostly copied MoreBeer’s Brown Porter recipe. I buy most of my grains from them so I figure it’s okay to copy their recipe.

Their recipe looks good. I liked that it uses Cascade hops to bitter and finish. Mine will be 78% Maris Otter, 8.7% Special Roast, 8.7% C40, and 4.4% Chocolate (50/50 mix of English and Briess).  Liberty Bell M36 yeast.

It might be a little hot for a porter once I get it on tap but I wanted one anyway. OG is 1051 so it should be good in any weather.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 02:08:02 pm by tommymorris »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3227 on: March 21, 2021, 01:33:04 pm »
Brewed a bock a couple days ago.  Brewing was totally smooth.  Hit all my numbers, 7 gal., 3.5 hours from mash in til finishing cleanup.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3228 on: March 21, 2021, 04:59:52 pm »
Hit all my numbers, 7 gal., 3.5 hours from mash in til finishing cleanup.

Damn, that is fast.  You are living the dream.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #3229 on: March 21, 2021, 05:05:53 pm »

An efficient Brewday.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #3230 on: March 21, 2021, 06:11:17 pm »
I brewed an "Old Rasputin RIS clone", BIAB. I wasn't as fortunate as Denny with hitting all the numbers but 'what the hell'.

Na zdrowie!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3231 on: March 22, 2021, 09:05:04 am »
I brewed an "Old Rasputin RIS clone", BIAB. I wasn't as fortunate as Denny with hitting all the numbers but 'what the hell'.

Big beers can be problematic since your efficiency can be less.  My next batch is 10 gal. of 1.090ish wee heavy and I may not be so fortunate.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3232 on: March 22, 2021, 09:05:35 am »

That G70 is so well designed that it makes it easy.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3233 on: March 22, 2021, 09:52:53 am »

Yeah, how do you finish in 3.5 hours? Really powerful burner,  super quick run offs, and crazy fast chilling time? Those are my biggest time sucks. My brew sessions are 4.5-5 hours.
Jesse

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3234 on: March 22, 2021, 10:33:08 am »

Yeah, how do you finish in 3.5 hours? Really powerful burner,  super quick run offs, and crazy fast chilling time? Those are my biggest time sucks. My brew sessions are 4.5-5 hours.
Part of it is starting the clock at mash in. My brewday includes some set up and heating water. That can be minimized by prepping the night before and having the system heat the water on a timer.

Yesterday I brewed and smoked a Boston Butt in parallel. I also made lunch and ate it while my system heated to boil. I am fine with a more leisurely brew day.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3235 on: March 22, 2021, 10:53:04 am »

Part of it is starting the clock at mash in. My brewday includes some set up and heating water. That can be minimized by prepping the night before and having the system heat the water on a timer.

Yesterday I brewed and smoked a Boston Butt in parallel. I also made lunch and ate it while my system heated to boil. I am fine with a more leisurely brew day.

I love to multitask like that.  My wife thinks I’m crazy, but getting beer brewed and meat smoked simultaneously is quite fulfilling.  Hitting numbers and being efficient in the brew day makes it all seem worthwhile!  I had a late start to brewing yesterday, but finished up a pils in just under 4 hours on my Anvil Foundry at 240V.  CUSS chiller used to chill in around 20 minutes to 58F.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3236 on: March 22, 2021, 11:13:20 am »

It's an 220v electric element, not a burner.  Water is already heated when I walk in, so I mash in and the clock starts.  Hour mash, maybe 20 min. for mashout, 15 min. to sparge during which time I'm heating to a boil, another maybe 10-15 min. to get to a boil, hour boil, chill with a CFC as I pump to the fermenter.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3237 on: March 22, 2021, 11:17:02 am »

This is the way I like to brew.  Relax, enjoy the process, have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3238 on: March 22, 2021, 11:35:31 am »

This is the way I like to brew.  Relax, enjoy the process, have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here.  A short brew day for me doesn't mean I'm rushing and not enjoying it.  It simply means I have nailed my process and didn't dickchimp anything....at least THAT time!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3239 on: March 22, 2021, 12:40:07 pm »

It's an 220v electric element, not a burner.  Water is already heated when I walk in, so I mash in and the clock starts.  Hour mash, maybe 20 min. for mashout, 15 min. to sparge during which time I'm heating to a boil, another maybe 10-15 min. to get to a boil, hour boil, chill with a CFC as I pump to the fermenter.
This doesn't sound "cheap n easy" to me ;) but certainly sounds efficient. My brew session timer starts as soon as I get going, first usually measuring out the mash water and get that heating while I measure out grains. I'm pretty happy with 4.5-5 hours for 5 gallons. Four hours would be better, but I need a more powerful stove for that kind of speed.
Jesse