Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421814 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3240 on: March 22, 2021, 12:43:21 pm »
Hit all my numbers, 7 gal., 3.5 hours from mash in til finishing cleanup.

Damn, that is fast.  You are living the dream.

That G70 is so well designed that it makes it easy.
Yeah, how do you finish in 3.5 hours? Really powerful burner,  super quick run offs, and crazy fast chilling time? Those are my biggest time sucks. My brew sessions are 4.5-5 hours.

It's an 220v electric element, not a burner.  Water is already heated when I walk in, so I mash in and the clock starts.  Hour mash, maybe 20 min. for mashout, 15 min. to sparge during which time I'm heating to a boil, another maybe 10-15 min. to get to a boil, hour boil, chill with a CFC as I pump to the fermenter.
This doesn't sound "cheap n easy" to me ;) but certainly sounds efficient. My brew session timer starts as soon as I get going, first usually measuring out the mash water and get that heating while I measure out grains. I'm pretty happy with 4.5-5 hours for 5 gallons. Four hours would be better, but I need a more powerful stove for that kind of speed.

It's extremely easy, but not cheap.  Which is why there's a chapter in the last book about trading money for simplicity.  At this point in my life, I can afford it and it makes my hobby more enjoyable.  FWIW, with my old traditional system, I was in about the same time range as you are.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3241 on: March 22, 2021, 01:21:46 pm »

It's extremely easy, but not cheap.  Which is why there's a chapter in the last book about trading money for simplicity.  At this point in my life, I can afford it and it makes my hobby more enjoyable.  FWIW, with my old traditional system, I was in about the same time range as you are.
Yeah, I think if anything as I get older I'll probably still do the same process but smaller volume to make lifting heavy objects less of a factor. Time really never bothered me that much, I've got lots of it.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3242 on: March 22, 2021, 01:23:18 pm »

Yeah, I think if anything as I get older I'll probably still do the same process but smaller volume to make lifting heavy objects less of a factor. Time really never bothered me that much, I've got lots of it.

As I get older I come to think that time is more of an issue. I have a limited amount left.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3243 on: March 22, 2021, 07:06:05 pm »
I wanted to make a strongish lager for later in the spring when I will be taking a lot of time off and working long days in the garden, orchard, apiary, and around the house. I decided on something like a Maibock but am trying to use up ingredients I have and don’t have anything in the way of German specialty malts.
I ended up coming up with a very simple recipe with ingredients on hand : 97% Valley Malt Pilsner, 3% Baird’s 50/60 crystal (1.065 or so OG) bittered with magnum, hallertauer late, and fresh 34/70 slurry from a 1.055 pilsner I am kegging during the boil. I am not sure how close to style it is but look forward to knocking some down as reward for my hard work in the coming spring evenings.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3244 on: March 23, 2021, 08:52:18 am »
Getting set up today to brew 10 gal. of wee heavy tomorrow. It will pretty much max out the G70.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3245 on: March 23, 2021, 09:24:14 am »
Getting set up today to brew 10 gal. of wee heavy tomorrow. It will pretty much max out the G70.
Do you keg your wee heavy? That must be on tap for a year+.
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3246 on: March 24, 2021, 06:57:23 pm »
Czech Pilsner

93% pilsner
5% Munich ii
2% melanoidin

Magnum/mittelfruh bitter
14 g mittelfruh 30 min
28 g saaz 15 min
28 g saaz 2 min

38 ibu
3470/189 blend
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3247 on: March 25, 2021, 05:42:01 am »
I just mashed in a TTL inspired bitter. 100% Golden Promise, Stygian Golding and EKG, WY1469.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3248 on: March 26, 2021, 02:14:27 pm »
I just mashed in a TTL inspired bitter. 100% Golden Promise, Stygian Golding and EKG, WY1469.

A favorite of mine - Simpson's GP, of course.

I will be brewing up a Kolsch on Sunday, if it works out.  Light drinkers for spring.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3249 on: March 26, 2021, 02:25:59 pm »
I did 10 gal. of wee heavy yesterday.  Amazingly, I pretty much hot all my numbers, except I was 2 points over on OG.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3250 on: March 28, 2021, 06:42:33 pm »
I brewed 10 gallons of hoppy German Pilsner today (I think they’re calling this Italian Pils these days).  First time brewing since my wrist fracture and subsequent surgery.  Most everything went well, except a gallon more volume to the fermenters.  More beer for me!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3251 on: March 28, 2021, 07:43:21 pm »
I brewed an IPA today. My first time using Zappa hops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3252 on: March 29, 2021, 06:58:48 pm »
I brewed an IPA today. My first time using Zappa hops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I knew you'd be surprised!

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3253 on: March 30, 2021, 04:41:25 am »
Brewing a 27 gallon batch of Czech Pils. These damn neighborhood drunks keep showing up at my door like feral cats looking for scraps!! I love my neighbors!!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3254 on: March 30, 2021, 06:12:37 am »
Brewing a 27 gallon batch of Czech Pils. These damn neighborhood drunks keep showing up at my door like feral cats looking for scraps!! I love my neighbors!!
That’s because you keep feeding them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk