Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417303 times)

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3270 on: April 12, 2021, 06:50:33 am »
Brewed my Saison yesterday.  First brew since we got back from FL.  Been a couple month since last brew.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3271 on: April 15, 2021, 10:07:32 am »
Brewed my Cinco de Mayo Vienna Lager today. I haven’t quite dialed in my small batch boil off rate just yet. I wanted to end up with just under 2.5 gal in the fermenter but I ended up with around 2 gal so I overshot my OG by a few points. That may leave me with a higher FG. I could add some water to get things back in line but I think I’m gonna let it ride. Oh well. We’ll see how Diamond handles this situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 10:11:46 am by BrewBama »

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3272 on: April 15, 2021, 05:45:01 pm »
I’m going to brew a Maibock this weekend. I made one once before and it turned out a bit heavy and lacking what I would call drinkability. Shooting for a lower OG this time 1.067 and a simpler grain bill of 75% Pilsner 25% Munich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3273 on: April 16, 2021, 05:32:39 am »
I plan on brewing an experimental beer tomorrow. I would like to dial in a couple low calorie, low carb beers for this summer that I can have a few of on summer afternoons without getting bogged down or consuming a days worth of calories or carbs.
I am starting with an IPA. I used to hate “session” ipas due to a harsh bitterness without malt backbone but recently I have tried some ipas with soft bitterness in the 85 calorie, 3 carb per 12 oz. range that I really like. Lagunitis makes one as does Peak Organic.
I will finalize the recipe tonight but I am thinking 95% pale malt and 5% crystal (possibly subbing some rye for base malt) about 1.035 OG. Maybe 30 ibu with citra and cascade and wy1469 using NEIPA hopping techniques. The kicker is that I will be adding some “beano” to the fermenter for the enzymes to convert the unfermentable carbs into simple sugar, bringing down the carbs.
I don’t expect to hit a home run on the first time but I hope to have something I like by summer. It should be a fun experiment. If I get it dialed in I intend to send it to a lab to get an accurate sense of calories, carbs, and abv.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3274 on: April 16, 2021, 06:32:34 am »
I plan on brewing an experimental beer tomorrow. I would like to dial in a couple low calorie, low carb beers for this summer that I can have a few of on summer afternoons without getting bogged down or consuming a days worth of calories or carbs.
I am starting with an IPA. I used to hate “session” ipas due to a harsh bitterness without malt backbone but recently I have tried some ipas with soft bitterness in the 85 calorie, 3 carb per 12 oz. range that I really like. Lagunitis makes one as does Peak Organic.
I will finalize the recipe tonight but I am thinking 95% pale malt and 5% crystal (possibly subbing some rye for base malt) about 1.035 OG. Maybe 30 ibu with citra and cascade and wy1469 using NEIPA hopping techniques. The kicker is that I will be adding some “beano” to the fermenter for the enzymes to convert the unfermentable carbs into simple sugar, bringing down the carbs.
I don’t expect to hit a home run on the first time but I hope to have something I like by summer. It should be a fun experiment. If I get it dialed in I intend to send it to a lab to get an accurate sense of calories, carbs, and abv.
Sounds remotely like Whitbread IPA and sounds like a good beer. I wonder what your FG will be.

I plan a Whitbread IPA subbing in Cascade in place of the English hops. I don’t count carbs but I do count calories and I’m think I might like a nice  poundable Americanized Ordinary Bitter.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3275 on: April 16, 2021, 06:49:09 am »
Yes, whitbread is the base. While I don't think I have ever seen West Yorkshire used in a NEIPA they do routinely use English strains and I have fresh slurry. I don't count carbs per se, but know that I feel lousy and full after too many carbs.
Your American ordinary bitter sounds great too and I intend to do something similar soon.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:58:59 am by pete b »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3276 on: April 16, 2021, 07:02:17 am »
Yes, whitbread is the base. While I don't think I have ever seen West Yorkshire used in a NEIPA they do routinely use English strains and I have fresh slurry. I don't count carbs per se, but know that I feel lousy and full after too many carbs.
Your American ordinary bitter sounds great too and I intend to do something similar soon.
I am aiming for some lower ABV beers this summer. I usually brew in the 5-ish % range but lately I’ve been shooting for 4.5-ish % range.

1Q: Will you still add the invert (aka Whitbread)?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3277 on: April 16, 2021, 07:10:09 am »
I am aiming for some lower ABV beers this summer. I usually brew in the 5-ish % range but lately I’ve been shooting for 4.5-ish % range.

1Q: Will you still add the invert (aka Whitbread)?

I am going to skip the invert, my theory being that the additional enzyme and resulting conversion to fermentable sugar will result in similar dryness and abv contributions. Also, I think I will shoot for a NEIPA mineral profile as opposed to an English/Burton profile, but tone it down compared to a higher abv beer.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #3278 on: April 16, 2021, 03:58:25 pm »
Pineapple Wheat Beer, I’m declaring it summertime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3279 on: April 18, 2021, 03:06:05 pm »
Just finished up a Dubbel

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3280 on: April 18, 2021, 03:44:21 pm »
AG Batch #53, 4.5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

2 lbs German Vienna
2 lbs Weyermann Barke German Vienna
2 lbs Franco Belges Belgian Vienna
2 lbs Mecca Grade Vanora (Vienna)
1/4 tsp Salt

FWH = 8 g, 2020 Galena Leaf (11.5 AA)
5 min = 1 1/2 oz, 2020 Mt Hood Leaf (4.7 AA)

60 min Mash
40 min Boil

3 weeks S-04 @ 60f then bottled
3 weeks @ 75f
3 weeks @ 60f
3 days fridge

(Subject to Change)

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3281 on: April 18, 2021, 05:46:39 pm »
Cleaning out the Vienna bin? 

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3282 on: April 19, 2021, 03:36:16 am »
Cleaning out the Vienna bin? 

Currently Vienna is a favorite malt.  Haven't had a Vienna I didn't like, but sure it's out there.
Original plan was 50/50 using 2 different Vienna malts.  Decided to go with 2 pounds of each
to see what happens.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3283 on: April 22, 2021, 09:53:14 am »
IPL

90% pils
10% munich 6L

loral, blanc, mandarina

189/3470 blend
65 IBU
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline goose