Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 422988 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #330 on: May 14, 2015, 06:29:55 am »
Just mashed in Denny's BVIP recipe this am... any recommendations  on the bourbon? I have Knob creek in the house.
Don't spend a lot. I've made BVIP several times and you won't be able to tell good/drinkable bourbon from the top shelf stuff under all the roast character. I wouldn't use rot gut, but I wouldn't use 4 Roses either. Somewhere in the middle works fine.
Hmmm... I might have to brew this sometime to finally kill off that bottle of Jacob's Well that I haven't touched in years
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #331 on: May 14, 2015, 06:55:55 am »
Just mashed in Denny's BVIP recipe this am... any recommendations  on the bourbon? I have Knob creek in the house.
Don't spend a lot. I've made BVIP several times and you won't be able to tell good/drinkable bourbon from the top shelf stuff under all the roast character. I wouldn't use rot gut, but I wouldn't use 4 Roses either. Somewhere in the middle works fine.
Hmmm... I might have to brew this sometime to finally kill off that bottle of Jacob's Well that I haven't touched in years

Very, very tasty.  Usually goes pretty fast for a strong beer.
Jon H.

Offline brices121

• 1st Kit
« Reply #332 on: May 14, 2015, 08:15:29 pm »

Very, very tasty.  Usually goes pretty fast for a strong beer.

I just won that BSG kit for the recipe last weekend.  I was kind of disappointed with the kit though because the grain was crushed and there was no wood or vanilla.  Also one packet of US-05 is for sure too little for that beer.  Anyway I am thinking of finding some time to brew this during the weekend. 

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #333 on: May 14, 2015, 09:42:47 pm »
Brewing an xBmt beer this Sunday with my BIL using TYB Franconian Lager yeast in a Honey Dortmunder... basically a DortEx with some Gambrinus Honey Malt for fun. I'll be bringing this to NHC for evaluation!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #334 on: May 15, 2015, 06:04:10 pm »
Was gonna finally brew my Kiwanda style cream ale today but had to work , so I'm gonna brew it tomorrow morning. It was sort of hot and sticky today, so it'll be good timing for a warm weather beer. This one never lasts long.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #335 on: May 16, 2015, 07:11:24 am »
Busy weekend here, started souring the hibiscus Gose, stringing up my hop plants and bottling the neighborhood ladies favorite peach wheat. In between all that a few of my daughter's soccer matches, whew, I need a beer already:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #336 on: May 16, 2015, 07:18:21 am »
Busy weekend here, started souring the hibiscus Gose, stringing up my hop plants and bottling the neighborhood ladies favorite peach wheat. In between all that a few of my daughter's soccer matches, whew, I need a beer already:)

Mind sharing your recipe for the peach wheat? My wife loved a peach wheat extract kit I made her a while ago when I first started brewing...since then I've made the jump to all grain and she keeps asking for another batch

I've always thought about just doing a secondary ferment with my saison recipe racked onto fresh peaches and peach puree with a pitch of some Bret strain
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #337 on: May 16, 2015, 10:57:38 am »

Mind sharing your recipe for the peach wheat? My wife loved a peach wheat extract kit I made her a while ago when I first started brewing...since then I've made the jump to all grain and she keeps asking for another batch

I've always thought about just doing a secondary ferment with my saison recipe racked onto fresh peaches and peach puree with a pitch of some Bret strain
Here ya go!
Brewhouse efficiency 80% ymmv
OG 1.049
FG 1.011
45% 2 row
45% red wheat
10% Light Munich
Hallerauer mittlefrueh at 60 for 23 IBU
05 yeast or 1056
1/2-1lb rice hulls

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes
Ferment at 68

Rack to secondary at FG on to 49oz peach puree, allow secondary ferment to finish and package however you like.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #338 on: May 22, 2015, 11:20:09 am »
Just mashed in on my first brew since early January. It's a 10 gallon batch. Grist is:
65 % Vienna
25% Pils
5% Munich
5% Oats

Hops will be Styrian Aurora, and Wait-ti at various times.

This will be split into two fermenters. Yeasts will be the yeast bay's Wallonian Farmhouse, and Dry Belgian Ale.

Mashing around 147 for 2 hrs. With ph at 5.3. I'm looking forward to drinking this one on some hot summer days. 
Kyle M.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2015, 11:26:35 am »
Just mashed in on my first brew since early January. It's a 10 gallon batch. Grist is:
65 % Vienna
25% Pils
5% Munich
5% Oats

This will be split into two fermenters. Yeasts will be the yeast bay's Wallonian Farmhouse, and Dry Belgian Ale.

Mashing around 147 for 2 hrs. With ph at 5.3. I'm looking forward to drinking this one on some hot summer days. 

Sounds great. Is the Dry Belgian strain a saison-type strain, too, or more Trappisty?  I haven't used either of these. Always looking for new saison strains to try, though.
Jon H.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #340 on: May 22, 2015, 11:27:55 am »
Brewing the Munich Helles in Brewing Classic Styles tomorrow.  Should be good fun in the sun!

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #341 on: May 22, 2015, 11:45:38 am »
65 % Vienna
25% Pils
5% Munich
5% Oats

Sounds great. Is the Dry Belgian strain a saison-type strain, too, or more Trappisty?  I haven't used either of these. Always looking for new saison strains to try, though.

It's more Trappisty. Their site says they isolated it from a strong belgian golden. I'm hopping for a patersbier type of ale with this go, and will make a strong golden next.
Kyle M.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #342 on: May 22, 2015, 11:52:31 am »
Yeah, I just went to their site and read up. That sounds great.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #343 on: May 22, 2015, 12:26:08 pm »
I'll be brewing a Dortmunder tomorrow. Never brewed one, but I imagine it won't be too much different than a helles or a pils. I think I'm basically brewing the one from Brewing Classic Styles.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #344 on: May 22, 2015, 12:40:05 pm »
I'll be brewing a Dortmunder tomorrow. Never brewed one, but I imagine it won't be too much different than a helles or a pils. I think I'm basically brewing the one from Brewing Classic Styles.

I brewed that one once - it was nice. I think I bumped the hops up a tad the second time and it came out more similar to DAB. Makes me want to brew one !
Jon H.