Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421657 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3330 on: June 05, 2021, 12:31:07 pm »
Chilling down this morning's orange wheat ale batch right now...62% white wheat malt, 32% 2-row, 6% crystal 10, Mt. Hood hops to hit 20 IBU, and SafAle K97 for the yeast. I've got some zested orange tincture made from a neighborhood orange tree, which will go in at kegging. I made my first batch of the year in February, and now it's time to do another brew!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3331 on: June 09, 2021, 08:50:29 am »
I put a slightly unusual recipe together for a Friday evening brew session.  60% Best Malz Pils, 40% Weyerman Light Munich, US Saaz from Hop Heaven for about 22 IBUs from the start of the boil and another ounce added at flameout.  Calculator says the color will be 5.5 SRM, ABV will be 4.9% and IBUs at 22.  Yeast is 2124.  So a gold lager with some depth and color.  Some of the LO steps I have taken have me producing very pale beers.  I had a gold lager on tap about a month ago and my BIL (who was drinking a pale ale of mine) commented on the light color of the beer that I was drinking.  So this one will have a little more ROBUST color.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Online tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3332 on: June 09, 2021, 09:00:55 am »
I ran out of beer! Two dumpers in a row equals pipeline failure.  I’ve got batches two carbing and conditioning now.

I’ll be brewing a Blonde with Chinook, Golden Promise, and WLP002 English Ale yeast this weekend.

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3333 on: June 09, 2021, 09:27:57 am »
I ran out of beer! Two dumpers in a row equals pipeline failure.  I’ve got batches two carbing and conditioning now.

I’ll be brewing a Blonde with Chinook, Golden Promise, and WLP002 English Ale yeast this weekend.
I’ve been there. What failed causing the dumpers?

You need some quick turn beers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:44:28 am by BrewBama »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3334 on: June 09, 2021, 09:29:34 am »

OMG!

I had some family over a couple times within a week or so and my son was home for about 3 weeks and my daughter surprised us and came home for Memoriql Day weekend.  As a result I am "low" on beer but not out.  I have whatever levels are in the 4 kegs in the draft fridges (two of those kegs are very light) and three kegs in the on-deck fridge but all of those are "young" lagers that should really sit for awhile.  I am brewing this weekend and at that point I would be out of empty kegs but these other two will be empty very shortly which means two more brew sessions coming after this weekend... and I already have recipes drawn up for those. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3335 on: June 09, 2021, 09:40:50 am »
Deleted batch #57 posted.
Was all set up and ready to roll, until I realized both fermenters are being used.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3336 on: June 09, 2021, 09:44:53 am »
Was all set up and ready to roll, until I realized both fermenters are being used.
. Hate it when that happens.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3337 on: June 09, 2021, 10:03:15 am »
. Hate it when that happens.

I almost didn't catch it. Went to basement for something else and
noticed both fermenters were being used.  Oh boy, that could of went bad.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3338 on: June 09, 2021, 10:17:32 am »

My pipeline can handle one dumper, but not two.
As punishment, I would drink the Wife's Yuengling Light
until pipeline is back in order..

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3339 on: June 09, 2021, 10:32:00 am »

I started doing that this past weekend... drinking commercial beer hoping to give my young lagers some conditioning time.  In the past couple days I've had some Modelo, Carlsberg and DAB and yesterday I stopped into the local Aldi and picked up a twelver of Wernesgruner.  I'm not suffering but I would prefer my own beer.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 

Online tommymorris

« Reply #3340 on: June 09, 2021, 11:14:48 am »

I started doing that this past weekend... drinking commercial beer hoping to give my young lagers some conditioning time.  In the past couple days I've had some Modelo, Carlsberg and DAB and yesterday I stopped into the local Aldi and picked up a twelver of Wernesgruner.  I'm not suffering but I would prefer my own beer.  :P
I didn’t understand my full extent of predicament until last night when I served myself 4 ounces of homebrew and the keg kicked. I’ll be picking up some craft brew tonight.

Online tommymorris

« Reply #3341 on: June 13, 2021, 05:18:25 pm »
Simpson’s Golden Promise SMASH today. 1050 OG, 24 IBU from Chinook with 14 IBU at 60 and 10 IBU at 15. WLP002 English Ale yeast.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #3342 on: June 13, 2021, 05:51:55 pm »
Yesterday I brewed 10 gallons of Amber Mexican Vienna Lager, for an upcoming gathering mid-August.  I used 81% vienna, 12% flaked corn, 3% pilsner, 2.3% 80L caramunich and 1.5% of 400L black malt.  25 IBUs Magnum for bittering (60 minutes), and 1.2 IBUs Saaz at 15 minutes.  Mashed for 75 minutes at 149F.  I got better efficiency than anticipated - came in at 1.058, 5 points above target.  That is, I had my LHBS mill the grist, and it wasn't as fine milled as I like so I gave it a 2nd pass and then neglected to increase the brewhouse efficiency in my recipe.  doh! 

It was a spur of the moment decision to brew, basically throwing it together and buying ingredients on Friday to brew on Saturday.  I hope it is tasty enough, as I didn't get continental vienna malt - just used what my LBHS had namely Great Western.  Based on available yeast at my LHBS, 5 gallons got Imperial Que Bueno yeast, and 5 gallons got Imperial Urkel yeast.  Pitched and fermenting at 50F.

I used Bru'n Water Vienna (Boiled) profile, except due to my tap water chemistry I ended up with 41 ppm total calcium rather than the profile's 30 ppm.

I realize that typically folks use a debittered black malt for this style, but not always...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 06:16:00 pm by brewsumore »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3343 on: June 13, 2021, 07:45:24 pm »
I just set up my Anvil for tomorrow's brew day. I haven't brewed an IPA in a long time, but I have a craving. It's going to be a mix between a West Coast and NE IPA and the hop selection is a throwback to my first homebrew recipe I designed myself. I'm going to bitter to about 60 IBU with hop shot, then use Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra cryo hops at flameout and dry hopped. I'm also going to try out dosing a bit of acid and BTB with the dry hops. Trying Lallemand NE IPA  yeast for the first time as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online tommymorris

« Reply #3344 on: June 18, 2021, 11:23:23 am »
Brewing a Helles with Spalt Select and 34/70 to celebrate Juneteenth.