Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421772 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3420 on: October 09, 2021, 01:02:36 pm »

I think it might surprise you. Lots of American breweries use two row pale in lagers. …

I do that.  Makes great beer.

I make a clone recipe of Schell's Pils using Great Western 2-row, and the malt character is beautiful!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #3421 on: October 09, 2021, 01:04:02 pm »
Today's brew (currently on the boil) is a clone recipe of Oakshire Brewing's Ill Tempered Gnome. I've never had the original beer, but the recipe I found looked like something that would be very enjoyable in the cooler months coming up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3422 on: October 09, 2021, 01:39:50 pm »
Today's brew (currently on the boil) is a clone recipe of Oakshire Brewing's Ill Tempered Gnome. I've never had the original beer, but the recipe I found looked like something that would be very enjoyable in the cooler months coming up.

I think I put that recipe in Craft Beer for the Homebrewer.  It's straight from the brewer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #3423 on: October 09, 2021, 01:51:14 pm »

I think I put that recipe in Craft Beer for the Homebrewer.  It's straight from the brewer.

That's exactly where I got it from! I've brewed a few recipes out of there (including the Schell's Pils clone mentioned above in the thread), and have enjoyed them all. It's a solid (and beautifully illustrated) recipe collection.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3424 on: October 09, 2021, 02:22:44 pm »

That's exactly where I got it from! I've brewed a few recipes out of there (including the Schell's Pils clone mentioned above in the thread), and have enjoyed them all. It's a solid (and beautifully illustrated) recipe collection.

Both the Oakshire and Rogue recipes came directly from the brewers themselves.  Then I had them check my interpretations.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3425 on: October 09, 2021, 03:52:14 pm »
Brewing a Timothy Taylor Landlord clone from BYO magazine with Simpson’s Golden Promise and substituting Willamette for Fuggles.

I am also trying a Nottingham + Windsor co-pitch for the first time.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3426 on: October 10, 2021, 05:43:17 am »
The bank I work for takes tomorrow of as a Federal holiday.  Seems like a good time to restart the brewery for Fall even though it is still in the 80's around this year.  I don't brew during the Summer so my stocks are getting dreadfully low.

I'm making a British Golden Ale and a simple Kolsch to start the year off.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3427 on: October 10, 2021, 07:45:10 am »
Brewing a Timothy Taylor Landlord clone from BYO magazine with Simpson’s Golden Promise and substituting Willamette for Fuggles.

I am also trying a Nottingham + Windsor co-pitch for the first time.
I've used that yeast combo in Landlord style beers quite a few times. It makes a good beer. Interesting the recipe calls for Fuggles. I've always seen/used Styrian Goldings in TTLL recipes
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3428 on: October 10, 2021, 08:11:57 am »
It's pumpkin beer time!

LOL, same here.  I've never made pumpkin ale before, but I've been getting requests for it for our holiday get-togethers.  I really should have started it several weeks ago so that I'd have it for halloween, but maybe they'll be drinkable by Txgiving / Xmas / NewYears time.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3429 on: October 10, 2021, 08:23:44 am »
AG Batch #60, 4.5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

4 lbs Mecca Grade Rye
3 lbs Ephiphany Vienna
1 lb RiverBend Heritage (6-Row)

Early first taste, very good, first rye, I'm on a roll. ;D

That sounds intriguing!  I don't know that Epiphany malt, but the MG Rimrock Rye has been very good to me in smaller doses.  I've been afraid to go higher than 20% rye, but I keep wanting to throw caution to the wind and do a 50% rye.  You're eroding my hesitancy, Fire Rooster.  I will be interested to hear how it matures for you.  Of that 9 weeks pre-fridge, how much of that is pre-keg or pre-bottle? 

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3430 on: October 10, 2021, 09:43:26 am »
AG Batch #60, 4.5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

4 lbs Mecca Grade Rye
3 lbs Ephiphany Vienna
1 lb RiverBend Heritage (6-Row)

Early first taste, very good, first rye, I'm on a roll. ;D

That sounds intriguing!  I don't know that Epiphany malt, but the MG Rimrock Rye has been very good to me in smaller doses.  I've been afraid to go higher than 20% rye, but I keep wanting to throw caution to the wind and do a 50% rye.  You're eroding my hesitancy, Fire Rooster.  I will be interested to hear how it matures for you.  Of that 9 weeks pre-fridge, how much of that is pre-keg or pre-bottle?

https://www.epiphanymalt.com/

Riverbend malt will be back on my radar, after another batch.
https://riverbendmalt.com/

I only bottle (22 oz), never kegged. Beer is bottled at 3 weeks, sometimes a little shorter.

The first taste was around 8 weeks, very good.  It will be in drinking rotation
in a week or two.  9 weeks is an estimate, can be 10-11 weeks depending
how long the prior batch is drank.  I was leeary of rye malt also, but from advice here
just jump to 50%, anything less you may not taste it well.  It's not like dark
malts that should be proceeded with caution.  I got bit by that a few times.
I'll try to remember to review batch#60, after drinking it a few weeks.

I create the recipes.  Still learning/sampling/testing the different malts, hops, yeasts, and methods.
Lately all brews are good to very good, have not brewed the "Nectar of the Gods" yet.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 11:35:16 am by Fire Rooster »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3431 on: October 10, 2021, 09:53:32 am »
AG Batch #63, 4.5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

6 lbs MG Pilsner
1 lb MG Hard Red Spring Wheat
1 lb Flaked Rice

1/4 tsp Wyeast Beer Nutrient, last 10 min boil

30 Min = 14g YC Cryo Centennial (18.5 AA)

60 min Mash
60 min Boil

3 weeks, then bottled (2 packets W-34/70 re-hydrated)
3 weeks @ 75f, bottle Condition-Carb
3 weeks @ 60f
3 days fridge
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 02:20:30 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3432 on: October 10, 2021, 10:13:54 am »
I make a clone recipe of Schell's Pils using Great Western 2-row, and the malt character is beautiful!
This is great to hear.  I have this GW 2-row right now but I do not have a ton of experience with it and pretty much NO experience making lagers with it so this sounds like a good thing to try.  I can't remember how I decided to get this particular malt but I assume that Label Peelers or RiteBrew was running a special and the price was right.  Cheers & thanks.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3433 on: October 10, 2021, 03:17:25 pm »
This is great to hear.  I have this GW 2-row right now but I do not have a ton of experience with it and pretty much NO experience making lagers with it so this sounds like a good thing to try.  I can't remember how I decided to get this particular malt but I assume that Label Peelers or RiteBrew was running a special and the price was right.  Cheers & thanks.
I use a lot of GW malts. They have been my go-to for a while now. I think you’ll like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3434 on: October 10, 2021, 03:36:58 pm »
I use a lot of GW malts. They have been my go-to for a while now. I think you’ll like it.
Remember that American Bock recipe we bounced around (I think you made it)?  I would absolutely use a domestic 2-row in a beer like that because the character of the base malt is less visible, IMO.  But in a pilsner or helles it's all about the base malt so I would ordinarily use a euro pilsner malt in that case.  This will be interesting.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.