Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423043 times)

Offline BrewingReveries

• 1st Kit
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #345 on: May 22, 2015, 01:51:06 pm »
Christmas beer time!  Making a spiced brown ale (bordering on porter) that I hope I can keep out of until December.  Consider adding apricots, raisins and cranberries, but maybe not.  At least I've got time to mull it over.  Also making a raspberry chocolate stout before it's too hot outside to want it. 

Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #346 on: May 24, 2015, 07:57:34 am »
I have a big triple brewday planned for Thursday. I'm planning on making a Saison, a Pyment and a Lambic-style sour - all using Gerwurztraminer must from a wine kit.

Tonight I'm (hopefully) going to start the sour wort process for the sour. The plan is to reconstitute Wheat DME in a keg with hot water, drop the pH to 4.5 with lactic acid, and innoculate with some Pils malt. After I pull out the grains, I'll seal and purge the keg and throw it in a cooler with hot water bottles. I'm hoping I can keep it hot enough to get plenty sour by Thursday. Then I'll heat it to 170F or so to kill off the bugs. I'm going to primary with US-05 for a few days before pitching a big starter of Orval dregs that I've stepped up a few times.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #347 on: May 30, 2015, 03:43:41 pm »
Didn't have time to brew but I kegged a couple today, a 3724 saison and a cream ale.  I used to enter comps a lot and got burned out, but it's been 4 years since I entered one. So judging by how good the samples are I think I'll probably comp these. Should be fun.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #348 on: May 30, 2015, 03:51:26 pm »
I have a big triple brewday planned for Thursday. I'm planning on making a Saison, a Pyment and a Lambic-style sour - all using Gerwurztraminer must from a wine kit.

I look forward to hearing how the saison/must beer comes out. I'm still planning to use Muscat juice in a saison probably summer/fall ish. Just didn't order it in time to brew when I wanted to this time.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #349 on: May 30, 2015, 08:08:38 pm »

I look forward to hearing how the saison/must beer comes out. I'm still planning to use Muscat juice in a saison probably summer/fall ish. Just didn't order it in time to brew when I wanted to this time.
I will definitely post some updates once this is ready. If it works out, then I'll definitely stash away some bottles for the next beer swap.

I will say that the pyment must smelled an tasted incredible going into the fermenter. I was shooting for something in the Auslese/Eiswein realm, and so far it seems like I'm right on target.
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #350 on: May 30, 2015, 08:24:08 pm »

I will definitely post some updates once this is ready. If it works out, then I'll definitely stash away some bottles for the next beer swap.

I will say that the pyment must smelled an tasted incredible going into the fermenter. I was shooting for something in the Auslese/Eiswein realm, and so far it seems like I'm right on target.

Actually all three of those sound awesome.  Somebody shared a Belgian lambic with me (obscure, don't remember the brewery) a few years back that had IIRC Muscat must - it was funky and fantastic. For the saison/must I'm gonna brew, I was torn between Muscat and Riesling must, but obviously Gewurztraminer is a no-brainer, too. I'll be curious to see how the saison/must attenuates as compared to normal. Pretty thoroughly I'd guess.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2015, 07:05:15 am »
I'm using 3711 so I don't even know if I'd be able to tell the difference in attenuation. That yeast finishes in the mid single digits every time. I also did a small hopstand with Nelson and Motueka, so that will be interesting to see how it goes with the wine must.
Eric B.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #352 on: May 31, 2015, 10:31:35 am »

Actually all three of those sound awesome.  Somebody shared a Belgian lambic with me (obscure, don't remember the brewery) a few years back that had IIRC Muscat must - it was funky and fantastic. For the saison/must I'm gonna brew, I was torn between Muscat and Riesling must, but obviously Gewurztraminer is a no-brainer, too. I'll be curious to see how the saison/must attenuates as compared to normal. Pretty thoroughly I'd guess.
Must have been Cantillon Vigneronne. I feel slightly offended about the "obscure" descriptor.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #353 on: May 31, 2015, 10:39:44 am »
 Brewed Drew's blood orange Saison. Will add frozen blood orange juice later this week. Plus maybe some of my own blood, to make sure the beer will be deep red.
Frank P.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #354 on: May 31, 2015, 10:55:21 am »

Must have been Cantillon Vigneronne. I feel slightly offended about the "obscure" descriptor.

Except it wasn't Cantillon, which is consistently great.I don't consider Cantillon obscure,either.;)
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #355 on: May 31, 2015, 11:41:01 am »

Except it wasn't Cantillon, which is consistently great.I don't consider Cantillon obscure,either.;)
Hmm, was it Belgian or Belgian-style?
Frank P.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #356 on: May 31, 2015, 11:47:07 am »

Hmm, was it Belgian or Belgian-style?

It was from Belgium. I'd never seen or heard of it. I've had a ton of Belgian imports, but nowhere near the numbers as you I'm sure.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #357 on: May 31, 2015, 11:49:06 am »
I never import Belgian beer B-)
Frank P.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #358 on: May 31, 2015, 12:47:12 pm »
I brewed this last night: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-LaPetiteOrange.pdf

I haven't brewed beer from a "kit" for a couple of years, but this one sounded really good to me. I did sub 3787 for the 1214 though.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #359 on: May 31, 2015, 01:42:29 pm »
I brewed a recipe I saw on here in the thread "Blondie's Ale" Should be a great summertime brew: mostly 2 row with a touch of Honey malt abd Biscuit. Bittered with Willamette,  and I am using rehydrate 05. Also bottled 4.4 gallons of German IPA. Checked gravity on my pilsner: 830&833 both down from 1.053 to 1.010 after 15 days, just need to find a day to bottle 9 gallons of that. Busy beer weekend
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)