Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421593 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3465 on: October 28, 2021, 09:38:25 am »
Red Rye
41% pilsner
41% red x
16% rye malt
2% chocolate rye

bitter with columbus
1 oz Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook each @ 2 min
1 oz Simcoe, Centennial, Chinook each @ dry hop

~35 IBU
Lallemand Koln dry yeast
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3466 on: October 28, 2021, 12:09:02 pm »
Whenever I can squeeze in about an hour and a half sometime in the next week I'm going old school with a partial boil extract w/steeping grains Porter. I'm using dry Lutra, so I should be at pitch temps once I add in my top-off water. It's been cold in my house, so I might not get a 2-3 day fermentation, but if I can have this on tap within 5 days or so, I'll be happy.

I'm using a fair amount of brown malt in my steeping grains and I don't want to take the time for a mini-mash, so I'll try adding some amylase to the kettle during my steep to see if I can get some conversion.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3467 on: October 28, 2021, 08:26:32 pm »
Today I brewed a split-batch Rauchbier.

40% Rauch malt (half beech, half cherry)
32% Munich I
2% Melanoidin
20% Maris Otter (because it needed to get used up)
4% CaraMunich (half CM1, half CM3)
2% sucrose (white table sugar)

hops =Adeena, 27-28 IBU

2/3 of the batch [OG=1.070] is fermenting with US-05,
the other third of the batch [OG=1.060] is fermenting separately with a 3rd generation slurry that began as mostly Windsor with a smidgen of Belle Saison, and was harvested most recently from a pumpkin ale, and still has a bright orange color to it.  We'll see what that does.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3468 on: October 28, 2021, 08:41:48 pm »
Today I brewed a split-batch Rauchbier.

40% Rauch malt (half beech, half cherry)
32% Munich I
2% Melanoidin
20% Maris Otter (because it needed to get used up)
4% CaraMunich (half CM1, half CM3)
2% sucrose (white table sugar)

hops =Adeena, 27-28 IBU

2/3 of the batch [OG=1.070] is fermenting with US-05,
the other third of the batch [OG=1.060] is fermenting separately with a 3rd generation slurry that began as mostly Windsor with a smidgen of Belle Saison, and was harvested most recently from a pumpkin ale, and still has a bright orange color to it.  We'll see what that does.

i think i read in another post you made that you added a tiny amount of sucrose or a sugar as well. why add 2% sucrose?

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3469 on: October 29, 2021, 07:22:57 am »
i think i read in another post you made that you added a tiny amount of sucrose or a sugar as well. why add 2% sucrose?

Just a nudge to dry it out a bit more, ever so slightly.  Even mashing low, when I've left it out, I felt like the beer wasn't quite dry enough for my tastes.  Particularly if I am using a yeast with lower attenuation (like Windsor).  I haven't done a tightly controlled experiment where that's the only difference between 2 recipes, so it could be my imagination.  That said, when I've added too much sugar (say, 5%-10%) it just doesn't taste right.  2% seems to be my sweet spot [ha!] depending on style.

Also, I recently added a tiny bit of lactose to a couple of recipes, curious about the 'Milkshake IPA' style.  While it was a good beer, I don't think I will ever do that again.  It would have been a crazy good IPA without the lactose.  My coffee stouts seem to benefit from a tiny bit of lactose though...

Incidentally (speaking of dryness/attenuation), my mostly-Windsor yeast blend is currently getting me 83%-84% AA, thanks to the tiny bit of Belle Saison (presumably) to finish up the leftovers.  As much as I love the Windsor flavor profile, I generally only get 70%-74% with Windsor alone, and that's why I previously tried a ton of simple sugar in a recipe to dry it out, before messing around with yeast blends.  Didn't like it.

I'd never survive a purity-laws regime...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 07:27:02 am by ScallyWag »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3470 on: October 29, 2021, 10:21:28 am »

Just a nudge to dry it out a bit more, ever so slightly.  Even mashing low, when I've left it out, I felt like the beer wasn't quite dry enough for my tastes.  Particularly if I am using a yeast with lower attenuation (like Windsor).  I haven't done a tightly controlled experiment where that's the only difference between 2 recipes, so it could be my imagination.  That said, when I've added too much sugar (say, 5%-10%) it just doesn't taste right.  2% seems to be my sweet spot [ha!] depending on style.

Also, I recently added a tiny bit of lactose to a couple of recipes, curious about the 'Milkshake IPA' style.  While it was a good beer, I don't think I will ever do that again.  It would have been a crazy good IPA without the lactose.  My coffee stouts seem to benefit from a tiny bit of lactose though...

Incidentally (speaking of dryness/attenuation), my mostly-Windsor yeast blend is currently getting me 83%-84% AA, thanks to the tiny bit of Belle Saison (presumably) to finish up the leftovers.  As much as I love the Windsor flavor profile, I generally only get 70%-74% with Windsor alone, and that's why I previously tried a ton of simple sugar in a recipe to dry it out, before messing around with yeast blends.  Didn't like it.

I'd never survive a purity-laws regime...
Interesting that you're using Belle Saison as your co-pitch. Are you getting phenolics (clove, pepper, etc,) in your beers using this blend? Also, do you keg or bottle? Belle has a tendency to keep going slowly down to 90+% attenuation after the bulk of fermentation is complete (at least when used on its own). I'd be worried about bottle bombs if I packaged it at 83% attenuation unless I let it sit for a week or two at that gravity first.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3471 on: October 29, 2021, 11:32:15 am »
AG Batch #64, 4.5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

8 lbs RB  (Base-Camp) Extra Pale Malt
1/2 lb Flaked Rice

1/4 tsp Wyeast Beer Nutrient, last 10 min boil

60 min Mash
60 min Boil

HD 2021 Willamette Leaf (6.6 AA)
35m=1/2 oz
20m=1 oz
10m=1 oz

3 weeks, then bottled (US-05 & W-34/70 re-hydrated)
3 weeks @ 75f, bottle Condition-Carb
3 weeks @ 60f
3 days fridge
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 12:07:56 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3472 on: October 29, 2021, 11:53:48 am »

1 lb Flaked Rice

60 min Mash
60 min Boil

HD @2021 Willamette Leaf (6.6 AA)
35m=1/2 oz
20m=1 oz
10m=1 oz

3 weeks @ 60f
3 days fridge

Why 05 and 34/70 both?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3473 on: October 29, 2021, 12:19:57 pm »

1/2 lb Flaked Rice

60 min Mash
60 min Boil

35m=1/2 oz
20m=1 oz
10m=1 oz

3 weeks @ 60f
3 days fridge

Why 05 and 34/70 both?

I dunno
Out of curiosity. Online read a blog with posts (somewhere, don't recall where) about using two yeasts.
One or two posters swore the US-05 & W34/70 combo was good.  Figured I'd try it.
Batch #61 I used these two yeasts and it came out good. When basement starts getting colder, will use
W-34/70 solely for several batches, to get a handle on that yeast.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 03:08:03 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3474 on: October 29, 2021, 12:39:16 pm »

1 lb Flaked Rice

60 min Mash
60 min Boil

35m=1/2 oz
20m=1 oz
10m=1 oz

3 weeks @ 60f
3 days fridge

Why 05 and 34/70 both?

I dunno
Out of curiosity. Online read a blog with posts (somewhere, don't recall where) about using two yeasts.
One or two posters swore the US-05 & W34/70 combo was good.  Figured I'd try it.
Batch #61 I used these two yeasts and it came out good. When basement starts getting colder, will use
W-34/70 solely for several batches, to get a handle on that yeast.

IMO, the best way to use 2 yeasts is to split the batch, ferment half with each, and blend them post fermentation.  Pitching them together you have no control over which will dominate.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3475 on: October 29, 2021, 02:25:30 pm »
Whenever I can squeeze in about an hour and a half sometime in the next week I'm going old school with a partial boil extract w/steeping grains Porter. I'm using dry Lutra, so I should be at pitch temps once I add in my top-off water. It's been cold in my house, so I might not get a 2-3 day fermentation, but if I can have this on tap within 5 days or so, I'll be happy.

I'm using a fair amount of brown malt in my steeping grains and I don't want to take the time for a mini-mash, so I'll try adding some amylase to the kettle during my steep to see if I can get some conversion.
How long a steep and what temperature?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3476 on: October 29, 2021, 03:35:51 pm »

Interesting that you're using Belle Saison as your co-pitch. Are you getting phenolics (clove, pepper, etc,) in your beers using this blend? Also, do you keg or bottle? Belle has a tendency to keep going slowly down to 90+% attenuation after the bulk of fermentation is complete (at least when used on its own). I'd be worried about bottle bombs if I packaged it at 83% attenuation unless I let it sit for a week or two at that gravity first.
I am getting a little bit of Saison phenolics, but not much.  It was actually what I was going for in the Pumpkin Ale, thinking it might augment or suggest the nutmeg / cinamon / clove / ginger part.  I just barely bottled it so we'll see.  Both times I've used this combo, I've let it ferment for 3-4 weeks before bottling, so I feel hopeful about avoiding bottle bombs... *fingers crossed*

I suspect the reasons the AA is only 84% and the saison phenolics only mild, are:
  (a) the Belle Saison portion is only about 10%-15% of the yeast blend, so Windsor does most of the work;
  (b) the Windsor takes off fast and is done in about 36 hours, while the BS is notoriously slow, and has little left to work on;
  (c) I am fermenting on the colder end (66 degrees) of the range for BS, probably suppressing phenolics somewhat;
  (d) ???

I just barely bottled the Pumpkin Ale, so it will be a month or so before I know if I was successful in what I was going for, but the gravity sample was super nice.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3477 on: October 29, 2021, 04:02:13 pm »
It's a slightly somber occasion but this weekend I am closing my brewery down.  I have not been able to get along with my wife for quite some time so next Friday 11/5 I'm moving into a new place which was selected for various reasons including re-establishing my brewery in a new space.  I currently have TEN full (or partially-full kegs) which will all be transported to the new location.  The new place has a small finished basement which will I'll turn into a pub area.  Mildly twitchy and jittery as I prepare for this but better times are right around the corner for sure.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #3478 on: October 29, 2021, 04:04:53 pm »
Cheers to new beginnings and a great pub reopening party down the line

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3479 on: October 29, 2021, 05:44:18 pm »
It's a slightly somber occasion but this weekend I am closing my brewery down.  I have not been able to get along with my wife for quite some time so next Friday 11/5 I'm moving into a new place which was selected for various reasons including re-establishing my brewery in a new space.  I currently have TEN full (or partially-full kegs) which will all be transported to the new location.  The new place has a small finished basement which will I'll turn into a pub area.  Mildly twitchy and jittery as I prepare for this but better times are right around the corner for sure.  Cheers Beerheads.

Cheers! A new Sunrise awaits!