Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423075 times)

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3510 on: November 22, 2021, 06:21:16 am »
Vienna Smash today.

Deer Creek (PA) Sweet Liberty
Sterling

Have you used Deer Creek before  ?
How did you find out about them ?

Thanks

https://www.deercreekmalt.com/

A few years ago I was looking for a local Malthouse to source my stuff.  I found them on a search for "Pennsylvania Malt" and haven't looked back.  Great people, great service, and of course, I really like their malt.  They have a few holes (no crystal, no roasted) but what they do have is excellent.

Their malt is also available from Keystone Homebrew.
https://www.keystonehomebrew.com/

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3511 on: November 22, 2021, 06:57:54 am »
Vienna Smash today.

Deer Creek (PA) Sweet Liberty
Sterling

Have you used Deer Creek before  ?
How did you find out about them ?

Thanks

https://www.deercreekmalt.com/

A few years ago I was looking for a local Malthouse to source my stuff.  I found them on a search for "Pennsylvania Malt" and haven't looked back.  Great people, great service, and of course, I really like their malt.  They have a few holes (no crystal, no roasted) but what they do have is excellent.

Their malt is also available from Keystone Homebrew.
https://www.keystonehomebrew.com/

Thanks

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #3512 on: November 27, 2021, 10:26:40 am »
Abbey Ale/Dubbel recipe from New Belgium in BYO December... 2010.. now that this is the only way you can drink it. Sadly discontinued.

Edit: Moving to mash out (another thread made me say it)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3513 on: November 27, 2021, 12:34:36 pm »
I brewed 10 gallons of a pale ale based on Denny's Wry Smile this morning and yesterday kegged the CAP from three weeks ago.  Yeah, beer!  I was almost out.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3514 on: November 27, 2021, 12:54:02 pm »
I brewed 10 gallons of a pale ale based on Denny's Wry Smile this morning and yesterday kegged the CAP from three weeks ago.  Yeah, beer!  I was almost out.

I've got the opposite problem!  All my beer storage is full..I think I have 6 kegs waiting in storage and I plan to brew at least 40 more gallons in the next few weeks to try out the new Crisp heritage malts.  My friends will benefit.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #3515 on: November 27, 2021, 01:07:14 pm »

I've got the opposite problem!  All my beer storage is full..I think I have 6 kegs waiting in storage and I plan to brew at least 40 more gallons in the next few weeks to try out the new Crisp heritage malts.  My friends will benefit.

I'm a friend. Mail me some.  :)
Ralph R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3516 on: November 27, 2021, 01:49:56 pm »

Come and get it!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #3517 on: November 27, 2021, 04:25:55 pm »

Come and get it!

Not until it warms up some. You know how we Florida boys are with the cold!
Ralph R.

Offline tommymorris

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3518 on: November 28, 2021, 01:24:55 pm »
2021 Christmas Ale (English IPA)

70% Maris Otter
10% C40
10% Munich
10% Honey (from BIL’s apiary)
Equal doses Willamette + Cascade hops, all additions 30 minutes or less
Verdant IPA slurry
1064 OG, 62 IBU

My favorite note from Mitch Steele on contemporary English IPA (re:ingredients) - “Real examples are all over the map.”

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/seminar/a-contrast-and-comparison-of-the-many-variations-of-india-pale-ale/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 01:46:17 pm by tommymorris »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3519 on: November 28, 2021, 02:02:28 pm »
My Christmas Ale is based on the BYO recipe for Ayinger Celebrator. I did a taste test last night. It’s gonna be a good one this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3520 on: November 28, 2021, 03:28:16 pm »
damn it. i set aside my pilsner i brewed today about 5 hours ago in the garage to really hit pitching temp. i go back in just now and see that the stupid rubber bung has POPPED off again. (it pops off due to temp change/air pressure IDK) this happened a few months ago too on one batch. its only one out of the 3 bungs i have that does this. 4 hours in a somewhat messy garage with no lid. that is really annoying. ill have to tape it on or something in the future.

not happy about that.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3521 on: November 28, 2021, 06:18:54 pm »
damn it. i set aside my pilsner i brewed today about 5 hours ago in the garage to really hit pitching temp. i go back in just now and see that the stupid rubber bung has POPPED off again. (it pops off due to temp change/air pressure IDK) this happened a few months ago too on one batch. its only one out of the 3 bungs i have that does this. 4 hours in a somewhat messy garage with no lid. that is really annoying. ill have to tape it on or something in the future.

not happy about that.
Did you lose any beer or just exposed the beer to open air in your garage?

On a recent batch I forgot to put my fermenter lid on all night. I was shocked the next morning. I can’t remember exactly what batch that was because it turned out fine.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3522 on: November 28, 2021, 08:22:08 pm »
My Christmas Ale is based on the BYO recipe for Ayinger Celebrator. I did a taste test last night. It’s gonna be a good one this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any chance to see your recipe?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3523 on: November 28, 2021, 08:37:06 pm »

not happy about that.
Did you lose any beer or just exposed the beer to open air in your garage?

On a recent batch I forgot to put my fermenter lid on all night. I was shocked the next morning. I can’t remember exactly what batch that was because it turned out fine.

it was just left exposed, i added the yeast just now. i agree, im sure its fine

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3524 on: November 29, 2021, 07:23:39 am »

not happy about that.

Duct tape is your friend

www.dennybrew.com