Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423292 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3585 on: January 21, 2022, 05:57:58 am »
Just set up my mash water for tomorrow morning on this bad boy:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
IPA

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3.8 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 4.3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 80% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.38%
IBU (tinseth): 52.63
SRM (morey): 7.89
Mash pH: 5.5

FERMENTABLES:
6.5 lb - Simpsons Golden Promise (92.9%)
0.5 lb - Crystal 60 (7.1%)

HOPS:
4 ml - Hop Shot, Type: Extract, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 52.63
1 oz - Amarillo Cryo, Type: Lupulin Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Simcoe LupuLN2 (Cryo), Type: Lupulin Pellet, AA: 23, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.9, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Amarillo Cryo, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Dry Hop (High Krausen)
1 oz - Simcoe LupuLN2 (Cryo), Type: Lupulin Pellet, AA: 23, Use: Dry Hop (High Krausen)
1 oz - Citra LupuLN2 (Cryo), Type: Lupulin Pellet, AA: 25, Use: Dry Hop (High Krausen)

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 17 qt
2) Temp: 175 F, Time: 30 min, Ramp to mashout

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
2 g - Citric acid,  Use: Primary
0.3 g - Brewtan B,  Use: Primary
4 g - Gypsum, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
1.5 g - Salt, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
1.06 ml - Lactic acid, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
3 ml - Lactic acid, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil
1 ml - Lactic acid, Time: 0 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast 1762 Abby II

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Na - 40
Cl - 70
SO4 - 150

Turn off chiller @ 140F for ~30 mins

Add BTB and Citric Acid with dry hops
Except for a slightly different grist and yeast I did something like that last summer. The hop shots and cryo were a big help in terms of trub and no risk of vegetal/chlorophyll flavors. I think it was a riff on a BYO Julius recipe.
Good luck, I bet it will be great.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3586 on: January 21, 2022, 06:57:32 am »

HOME BREW RECIPE:
IPA

<snip>

Except for a slightly different grist and yeast I did something like that last summer. The hop shots and cryo were a big help in terms of trub and no risk of vegetal/chlorophyll flavors. I think it was a riff on a BYO Julius recipe.

I was out of Amarillo and Hop Shot, so I subbed Ekuanot Cryo for the Amarillo and some MI Chinook pellets I just got in for the bittering hops.

FYI - I'm still dialing in the exact amount, but adding a bit of acid with the dry hops is the biggest improvement I've made to my IPAs in years.

Speaking of luck, I saw this good omen in front of me on the road as I was coming home from bringing my kid to school this morning:

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3587 on: January 21, 2022, 07:32:26 am »

HOME BREW RECIPE:
IPA

<snip>

I was out of Amarillo and Hop Shot, so I subbed Ekuanot Cryo for the Amarillo and some MI Chinook pellets I just got in for the bittering hops.

FYI - I'm still dialing in the exact amount, but adding a bit of acid with the dry hops is the biggest improvement I've made to my IPAs in years.

Speaking of luck, I saw this good omen in front of me on the road as I was coming home from bringing my kid to school this morning:

What do you think the acid at dry hops is doing? Simply more "pop"? Is this approach exclusively when you are dry hopping during high krausen?
I would have though hops for the furnace would come in pellet form but I guess the oils are flammable.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3588 on: January 21, 2022, 08:28:02 am »

HOME BREW RECIPE:
IPA

<snip>

What do you think the acid at dry hops is doing? Simply more "pop"? Is this approach exclusively when you are dry hopping during high krausen?
I would have though hops for the furnace would come in pellet form but I guess the oils are flammable.
It does add more pop, or brightness is how I refer to it. Dry hops raise pH, so adding some acid with (or after) dry hopping gets the pH back down. I suspect that there is less of an issue with hopping during active fermentation because the yeast is still active to continue driving down the pH, and that the biggest benefit would be for late primary or keg hop additions. This is just conjecture though.
Eric B.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3589 on: January 21, 2022, 09:00:30 am »

HOME BREW RECIPE:
IPA

<snip>

It does add more pop, or brightness is how I refer to it. Dry hops raise pH, so adding some acid with (or after) dry hopping gets the pH back down. I suspect that there is less of an issue with hopping during active fermentation because the yeast is still active to continue driving down the pH, and that the biggest benefit would be for late primary or keg hop additions. This is just conjecture though.

How do dry hops raise pH and how much?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3590 on: January 21, 2022, 11:38:27 am »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3591 on: January 21, 2022, 12:08:41 pm »

https://scottjanish.com/a-look-at-ph-in-hoppy-beers/

Sounds like a lot of variables and the effect is iffy.  Especially if you don't dry hop at insane rates.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3592 on: January 22, 2022, 04:09:24 pm »
Hoppy amber lager
74% Pilsner
21% Munich I
4% caramunich
1% carafa special

1 oz mandarina 1 oz blanc @ 20 min
1 oz mandarina 1 oz blanc @ 2 min
2 oz Calista @ dry hop

34/70
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3593 on: January 24, 2022, 12:43:43 pm »

https://scottjanish.com/a-look-at-ph-in-hoppy-beers/

Sounds like a lot of variables and the effect is iffy.  Especially if you don't dry hop at insane rates.
Indeed, it may not be optimal in every beer, but the type of IPAs I typically brew do seem to benefit from some acid additions with dry hopping. Or at least they suit my palate more.
Eric B.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #3594 on: January 29, 2022, 01:08:03 pm »
American pale ale
61% 2-row
34% Maris Otter
2.5% crystal 15
2.5% crystal 10
Bravo for bittering, El Dorado & Strata in the whirlpool and also planned for the dry-hop
US-05

I'm using up some ingredients (the crystal 10+15 as well as the Maris Otter and the US-05), hence the unnecessary 10+15 combo...but am excited to see how things turn out!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3595 on: January 29, 2022, 03:54:30 pm »
American pale ale
61% 2-row
34% Maris Otter
2.5% crystal 15
2.5% crystal 10
Bravo for bittering, El Dorado & Strata in the whirlpool and also planned for the dry-hop
US-05

I'm using up some ingredients (the crystal 10+15 as well as the Maris Otter and the US-05), hence the unnecessary 10+15 combo...but am excited to see how things turn out!

not totally unnecessary. ive been considering for a while buying 1 lb each of crystal 40, 60, 80 and 120 and mixing them together so i can just use say 325grams of this mix and get a spectrum of high caramelly flavours

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #3596 on: January 29, 2022, 09:00:51 pm »
not totally unnecessary. ive been considering for a while buying 1 lb each of crystal 40, 60, 80 and 120 and mixing them together so i can just use say 325grams of this mix and get a spectrum of high caramelly flavours

That's a cool idea! I often will blend two or three varieties, but haven't really thought about a standard mix...in any case, I felt I had to state why I had two "adjacent" crystal malts, to discourage the inevitable "the flavor difference is minimal so just pick one or the other" piece of "helpful unsolicited advice."  :P
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3597 on: January 30, 2022, 06:27:49 am »
I recently brewed a ‘clean out the grain bin’ beer with three different Pale malts and C40+60 to use up the remnants but it’s rare. I’d normally choose one of each.

Same with yeast. I used S-04 and Nottingham just to clean out the yeast bin in my Stout because I didn’t have enough of either one by themselves.

Routinely, in darker beers I mix C malts but from opposing ends of the light + dark spectrum (e.g. my go-to is .5lb ea C40 or 60+120).

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3598 on: January 30, 2022, 04:25:31 pm »
Amber Lager

70% Vienna
14% Pilsner
14% flaked corn
2% carafa special ii

22 g sterling at 60 min
14 g sterling a 10 min

27 IBU
34/70
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3599 on: February 01, 2022, 08:07:53 am »

Amber Lager

70% Vienna
14% Pilsner
14% flaked corn
2% carafa special ii

22 g sterling at 60 min
14 g sterling a 10 min

27 IBU
34/70

Good brew right there. I've got something in this ballpark on tap most of the time.
Eric B.