Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 308289 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3600 on: February 01, 2022, 04:58:04 pm »
Rauchbier today.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3601 on: February 01, 2022, 05:59:01 pm »
Rauchbier today.
Glad someone is keeping it alive. Is is widely made in Germany these days? Just curious.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3602 on: February 02, 2022, 07:18:02 am »
Rauchbier today.
Glad someone is keeping it alive. Is is widely made in Germany these days? Just curious.

Rauchbier is made by Spezial and Schlenkerla in Bamberg, those brew smoke beers pretty  much exclusively. There are other breweries in Franconia that might have one on, and those can be seasonal specialties.

I long to return to Bamberg.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Fire Rooster

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3603 on: February 02, 2022, 08:31:45 am »
AG Batch #69, 4.5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

4 lbs Deer Creek Pilsner (First-Time)
4 lbs Deer Creek Dutch Munich
1/4 tsp Gypsum in strike water

60 min Mash
60 min Boil

30 Min = 28g, 2021 HD Williamette dried leaf (6.6AA)
20 Min = 28g, 2021 HD Willaimette

3 weeks (10 days @ 68f, 11 days @ 57f), 1 Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale
3 weeks @ 75f, bottle Condition-Carb
3 weeks @ 60f
3 days fridge
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 08:00:05 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3604 on: February 02, 2022, 08:45:30 am »
AG Batch #68, 4.5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

1/4 tsp Gypsum in mash

60 min Mash
60 min Boil

3 weeks @ 60f
3 days fridge

Curious why you're adding gypsum to the mash rather than the water.  Also about the fermentation schedule.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Fire Rooster

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3605 on: February 02, 2022, 11:45:57 pm »
AG Batch #68, 4.5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

1/4 tsp Gypsum in mash

60 min Mash
60 min Boil

3 weeks @ 60f
3 days fridge

Curious why you're adding gypsum to the mash rather than the water.  Also about the fermentation schedule.

(Curious why you're adding gypsum to the mash rather than the water.)
Gypsum was added to the strike water, prior to adding grain.

(Also about the fermentation schedule.)
I have no temp control. Upstairs is 68 f, and within yeasts
fermentation range. Basement is 57 degrees, my version of
cold crash.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 11:51:39 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3606 on: February 03, 2022, 02:51:39 pm »
The 3 weeks of bottle conditioning at 75F is probably excessive - warm storage stales beer faster than cold storage.  I suspect that a week at 75F should be more than sufficient.  (Plus without temp control is this just a guess or is there a warm place for the bottles?)  Finally, what is the "3 weeks at 60F" intended to do?  I don't see the need, frankly...but if you do, then proceed!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3607 on: February 03, 2022, 03:59:44 pm »
The 3 weeks of bottle conditioning at 75F is probably excessive - warm storage stales beer faster than cold storage.  I suspect that a week at 75F should be more than sufficient.  (Plus without temp control is this just a guess or is there a warm place for the bottles?)  Finally, what is the "3 weeks at 60F" intended to do?  I don't see the need, frankly...but if you do, then proceed!
I dunno, I've never had a bottle conditioned beer that was fully carbed at 1 week. In my experience, 10 days is when it starts to get decent carbonation, 2 weeks is usually drinkable, and 3 weeks is fully carbed.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3608 on: February 03, 2022, 07:01:08 pm »
I dunno, I've never had a bottle conditioned beer that was fully carbed at 1 week. In my experience, 10 days is when it starts to get decent carbonation, 2 weeks is usually drinkable, and 3 weeks is fully carbed.

i try for one week at room temp, then i chill it if i feel like it. my belief (maybe wrong?) is that the yeast fully ferments the available sugars within the first 5 to 7 days, but the co2 hasnt entered back into solution with the beer yet, and yes. becasue of this, or whatever reason. i would only want someone else to try it/me to show it off if its been at a minimum 2.5 weeks to really have a decent head

Offline Fire Rooster

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3609 on: February 04, 2022, 03:32:39 am »

(The 3 weeks of bottle conditioning at 75F is probably excessive - warm storage stales beer faster than cold storage.  I suspect that a week at 75F should be more than sufficient.)

Many Articles found on line about bottle carbonation recommend 2-3 weeks, brewers above came to the same conclusion, 3 weeks seems to be the sweet spot.

(Plus without temp control is this just a guess or is there a warm place for the bottles?)

Don't have temperature control for the fermenters, but do for the bottles-

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=36251.0

(Finally, what is the "3 weeks at 60F" intended to do?  )

Several reasons:
- Basement floor is around 60f, where the cases of beer are stored
- It takes about 3 weeks before that case is in drinking rotation
- Pipeline is big enough to endure a batch failure
- Anything earlier than that the beer doesn't seem to be ready
   ,based on tastings with the Wife and I.

(I don't see the need, frankly...but if you do, then proceed!)

Proceeding, but thank you for your input.
It's the good dialog/debate/questioning that makes me review
what's being done, and why it's being done.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 04:02:52 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #3610 on: February 05, 2022, 01:43:46 pm »
Brewing a Belgian session ale--I call it "The Simple Monk". 100% pilsner mashed at 154 degrees, boiled for 60 minutes with 1 oz. homegrown Cascade, and 1 pkg. Lallemand Abbaye yeast fermented at ambient, to hit 1.043 o.g., 19 IBU, ~4% abv. Continuing in the line of simplicity, I'm going to keg condition with priming sugar (rather than my usual force carbonation). Hoping to have it online in a month or so.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3611 on: February 05, 2022, 02:12:55 pm »
Brewing a Belgian session ale--I call it "The Simple Monk". 100% pilsner mashed at 154 degrees, boiled for 60 minutes with 1 oz. homegrown Cascade, and 1 pkg. Lallemand Abbaye yeast fermented at ambient, to hit 1.043 o.g., 19 IBU, ~4% abv. Continuing in the line of simplicity, I'm going to keg condition with priming sugar (rather than my usual force carbonation). Hoping to have it online in a month or so.

nice, im making a targetted ~4.1% bitter with EKG and huell melon in a few days. on friday and saturday night i mostly want to have about 4 or 5 beers. nowadays i really need to ensure they are maximum 5%. i am trying hard to ensure i get beers in an ideal ABV range of 3.8 to 4.5 depending on style

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3612 on: February 05, 2022, 02:41:56 pm »

nice, im making a targetted ~4.1% bitter with EKG and huell melon in a few days. on friday and saturday night i mostly want to have about 4 or 5 beers. nowadays i really need to ensure they are maximum 5%. i am trying hard to ensure i get beers in an ideal ABV range of 3.8 to 4.5 depending on style

In keeping with the low ABV talk, I am going to brew an American Blonde next Saturday. It will consist of local Pale Malt from Yarian Quality Malt. 15% wheat and 6% Melany. Mosaic at 60/10/5/0 dry hop at day 3 of fermentation. Kolsch 2565. Should hit around 4.2% abv.

Offline chinaski

• Brewer
« Reply #3613 on: February 05, 2022, 05:20:47 pm »
I'm brewing a quick black lager small batch to add to a baltic porter that isn't as dark as I wanted and to add to the second runnings American brown ale that I made along with the porter.  Mash is done, boil is tomorrow.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3614 on: February 06, 2022, 02:31:28 pm »
Cascade Pale Ale today. This is my first time using Lupo Max hops from Yakima Valley Hops.

I’m also using Charlie’s Fist Bump yeast. I haven’t used that one in years. I’m planning 3 beers with the Fist Bump, this APA, a gold lager, and one more (not sure what yet).