Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421746 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3645 on: March 15, 2022, 09:39:40 am »
Made an American Wheat today.  50% pale ale malt, 47.5% Weyermann Pale Wheat, 2.5% Copper Malt.  About 25 IBUs of Loral at the start of the boil.  S-04.  Should be nice when the weather warms up.

WHAT?

When the weather warms up.

WHEN IS THAT GOING TO HAPPEN?

Not sure but hopefully soon.  :D

Interesting choice of yeast.  I like my American Wheats (finishing one up now myself as a matter of fact, also in the cold  :) ), and never really considered anything other than BRY-97. I can see WLP001/WY1056 or even US-05 depending on which side of the peach fence you live on.  Have you had success with S-04 in this style before?  I’m intrigued.
I've made an American Wheat with S-04 but it's been awhile.  I'm fermenting it "cool" but then bringing it to a warmer spot to finish up.  I expect it to be very good.  I also like the way that S-04 flocs so this will [hopefully] be a clear American Wheat.  1056 or BRY-97 would be good and my 2021 version was made with BRY-97.  US-05 did create a peachy/apricot character for me to the point where some people asked "what fruit is in this beer?" and I have not used it since.  Once it's on tap I will report back (probably in the POST A PICTURE OF YOUR PINT thread) on the character.  Cheers brother.

That will be good! I find 04 to be a better choice to be honest. It's still clean but will give it just a bit more character. American Wheat can be a very boring style (that's not necessarily a bad thing)...
I tend to make boring... er... approachable beers.  I like straightforward beer, not gimmicky beer.  I agree that S-04's character should be good. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3646 on: March 15, 2022, 09:44:32 am »
This Sat. 3/19 is the 24th anniversary of my first time brewing.  I'll be making Rye IPA for my 588th batch.
Congratulations on the 24 years and No 588!

Thank you so much!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3647 on: March 15, 2022, 11:02:02 am »

I tend to make boring... er... approachable beers.  I like straightforward beer, not gimmicky beer.  I agree that S-04's character should be good.

There isn't a barstool suitably comfortable or time enough to have this discussion!   ;D
It would be fun to try though.  In a bar that is, not here.

And yeah, while I've never got on with S-04, I think it's a solid choice. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3648 on: March 15, 2022, 11:45:04 am »

There isn't a barstool suitably comfortable or time enough to have this discussion!   ;D
It would be fun to try though.  In a bar that is, not here.

And yeah, while I've never got on with S-04, I think it's a solid choice.
:D

I am a factory of "beer for the people".  Clean pale ales, pilsners, helles, festbiers, blonde ales, english bitters, dark ales, American wheats, etc.  Old school.  Not a pastry stout or Belgian Quad in sight!  :D  Okay, that's enough out of me. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3649 on: March 15, 2022, 12:53:14 pm »

I am a factory of "beer for the people".  Clean pale ales, pilsners, helles, festbiers, blonde ales, english bitters, dark ales, American wheats, etc.  Old school.  Not a pastry stout or Belgian Quad in sight!  :D  Okay, that's enough out of me.

i think you have more completed brews and more time on me for homebrewing by a fair bit, but i'm definitely finding my more permanent comfort zone, and it's becoming 4-5% ABV beers namely bitters, dry stouts, some lagers, some pale ales and then ~20% of my total output as distinctly strong beers i bottle in the smaller bottles. im also finding i enjoy lower IBUs rather than higher

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3650 on: March 15, 2022, 01:25:18 pm »
Tell you what... let's take this over HERE so we don't derail the thread any further.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3651 on: March 15, 2022, 04:26:08 pm »
Tell you what... let's take this over HERE so we don't derail the thread any further.  :D

i hear you.

also, relevantly. i am brewing a 4% dry stout by the weekend. nothing special about it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3652 on: March 20, 2022, 02:10:18 pm »
I brewed batch #588 yesterday, on the 24th anniversary of my first brew day.  Made Rye IPA.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3653 on: March 20, 2022, 03:01:40 pm »
I brewed batch #588 yesterday, on the 24th anniversary of my first brew day.  Made Rye IPA.

congrats denny. wow.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3654 on: March 20, 2022, 03:05:30 pm »

congrats denny. wow.

Thank you!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3655 on: March 21, 2022, 10:19:11 am »
That is pretty remarkable - 588 batches divided by 24 years is 24.5 beers per year - a consistent "every other week" rate.

I didn't track my brewing history very well, but I started in 2006 at a rate of about 30 brew days a year and I now brew usually twice to 3 times a month.  This past weekend I made 2 batches - a 10 gallon batch of Lichtbier Helles and a 5 gallon English Golden Ale.  I have made your Rye IPA many times, as it always is a crowd favorite.

Cheers to the milestone and wishing you many more!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3656 on: March 21, 2022, 10:48:31 am »
That is pretty remarkable - 588 batches divided by 24 years is 24.5 beers per year - a consistent "every other week" rate.

I didn't track my brewing history very well, but I started in 2006 at a rate of about 30 brew days a year and I now brew usually twice to 3 times a month.  This past weekend I made 2 batches - a 10 gallon batch of Lichtbier Helles and a 5 gallon English Golden Ale.  I have made your Rye IPA many times, as it always is a crowd favorite.

Cheers to the milestone and wishing you many more!

Thank you so much!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3657 on: March 21, 2022, 11:22:49 am »
Tomorrow I'm doing something I rarely do - rebrewing a beer I just brewed a few batches ago. It's a really simple Bitter recipe - Pale Ale malt, Invert #2, Celeia hops throughout, and repitch #4 of WY1762 - which is fast becoming as close to a "house" yeast strain as I've ever had. The beer was amazing, and the keg kicked far too soon, so I'll be putting it back on tap ASAP.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3658 on: March 22, 2022, 09:33:51 am »
Today
AG Batch #71, 4.5 gal (Volume in Fermenter)

Open Ferment, Double Drop
60 min Mash (1/4 t Gypsum), 60 min Boil

8 lbs Deer Creek Pilsner
1 cup MG Rye
1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient last 10 min

30 Min = 14g Magnum Pellet, AA-14.8
20 Min = 28g 2021 HD Liberty dried leaf (6.8AA)
10 Min = 28g 2021 HD Liberty

3 weeks @ 60f 2 packs W-34/70, Re-hydrated, Starter
3 weeks @ 75f, bottle Condition-Carb
3 weeks @ 60f
3 days fridge
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 12:00:06 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3659 on: March 22, 2022, 10:34:44 am »
About ready to mill the grains for a Smithwick's like Irish Red I'll be brewing tomorrow.

6.5 lbs. Maris Otter
2.25 lbs. Vienna
4 oz. C-80
4 oz. Black Patent
50 grams Fuggle @ 60
21 grams EKG @ 15
Mangrove Jack's M36 Liberty Bell

Looking at an OG of 1.047, FG of 1.012 with 25 IBUs.
Mashing at 152 F for 75 minutes boiling for 60 minutes and fermenting to terminal gravity at 68 F. Looking for 4.7% ABV.

Developed a liking for this while traveling in Ireland 3 years ago. All of the wife's relatives were Guinness drinkers and I don't particularly care for it. I could count on every pub having Smithwick's, so that was my session beer.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV