Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417236 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3690 on: April 24, 2022, 10:44:13 am »
Gearing up for a Mexican-style lager, using a favorite recipe -- pilsner and Vienna malt, flaked corn (and rice hulls), Magnum for bittering, Saaz at end. I'll be using Diamond Lager on this batch -- it has become my favorite strain!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3691 on: April 29, 2022, 12:30:17 pm »
Gearing up for a Mexican-style lager, using a favorite recipe -- pilsner and Vienna malt, flaked corn (and rice hulls), Magnum for bittering, Saaz at end. I'll be using Diamond Lager on this batch -- it has become my favorite strain!
Hey, man!  Eyes on your own paper!   ;D

I am making my Cabana Lager this afternoon with... ahem... pilsner malt, Vienna, flaked corn and some ultra fresh Hallertau Mittelfruh I just got from YVH.  I made my first SNS starter yesterday with WLP940 Mexican Lager yeast and it's looking active.  This is the first run of lagers in my new brewing space and I am very amped up for this brewday.  There will be some other beers made with this yeast including the Zoigl that was sent out in an AHA email recently, a dark Mexican Lager, probably a helles and some other stuff.  Cheers Beerheads and enjoy your brewdays!
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3692 on: April 29, 2022, 12:35:39 pm »
I had planned to retire this S-04 that I'm working with but decided on one more batch:  A good, old-fashioned cream ale.  Pilsner malt, some Vienna, flaked corn and a touch of Copper Malt, Sterling hops that I just got from YVH and S-04.  The S-04 beers have been nice a clear so far so I'm hoping for something that looks a bit like this...

I will probably brew it Saturday.  Cheers Beerheads.
There was some weirdness when I was carbing this batch (actually I think I forgot to open the valve!    O_o) so I let it go for another 48 hours and then thought I should sample it to check the carb.  Holy s***balls did this beer come out nicely.  I was basically drinking a yeasty glass of beer because I just grabbed a picnic tap but it was so yummy and perfectly balanced.  These new Sterling hops I used are so fresh and tingly on your tongue.  It may be a little while before it hits the taps but I am excited for it. 

Made a label for it too...

« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 12:40:36 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3693 on: April 29, 2022, 12:43:57 pm »
Made an American Wheat today.  50% pale ale malt, 47.5% Weyermann Pale Wheat, 2.5% Copper Malt.  About 25 IBUs of Loral at the start of the boil.  S-04.  Should be nice when the weather warms up.

WHAT?

When the weather warms up.

WHEN IS THAT GOING TO HAPPEN?

Not sure but hopefully soon.  :D
I forgot that I stole an image from Boulevard and made it my own.  This is the label I made for this American Wheat...

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3694 on: April 29, 2022, 01:14:12 pm »
Brewing my homage to Westmalle tripel right now.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3695 on: April 29, 2022, 02:04:49 pm »

low 60s with 3787?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3696 on: April 29, 2022, 02:59:58 pm »

low 60s with 3787?

65 actually.  Couple degrees higher than usual.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3697 on: May 07, 2022, 02:49:20 pm »
just did 19 litres of session mead. thistle honey, the OG was 1.037. so very session, lol a bit less than i expected. any thoughts on such a low gravity for mead?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3698 on: May 07, 2022, 03:58:38 pm »
I made 10 gallons of wheat beer today and pitched 4 sachets of Lallemand dry Munich and Munich Classic yeast that showed expiration dates of 02/2021.  I hope it works.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3699 on: May 08, 2022, 12:05:17 am »
just did 19 litres of session mead. thistle honey, the OG was 1.037. so very session, lol a bit less than i expected. any thoughts on such a low gravity for mead?
That's really low. I've never done a mead that low, but ciders of mine below 1.040 OG have always seemed thin and watery to me. I'd be planning on backsweetening or adding juice, and possibly some acid to keep it from being flat/watery tasting. Let your palate be your guide, but have some ideas ready in case.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3700 on: May 08, 2022, 10:58:09 am »
That's really low. I've never done a mead that low, but ciders of mine below 1.040 OG have always seemed thin and watery to me. I'd be planning on backsweetening or adding juice, and possibly some acid to keep it from being flat/watery tasting. Let your palate be your guide, but have some ideas ready in case.

thanks, yes i don't brew mead often, and i calculated for more like 1.045, but yeah. honey can be very different sugar contents per volume. i'll taste and keep in mind acid additions. i do want a very mild, seltzery drink tho.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3701 on: May 08, 2022, 11:11:09 am »
Wasn't able to brew yesterday, so today I'm brewing German pils for Big Brew

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3702 on: May 08, 2022, 02:31:54 pm »
Wasn't able to brew yesterday, so today I'm brewing German pils for Big Brew
+1. I knew Sat was a no go for me.

Tommy and I brewed the same Blonde Ale recipe Fri for a future bottle swap/taste testing in about a month. We want to compare our completely different brewery techniques using the same ingredients.

Here is the play by play on how I brew: The Hurricane Creek Big Brew
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=2201021&share_tid=689&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbrewbrothers%2Efreeforums%2Enet%2Fthread%2F689&share_type=t&link_source=app

It’ll be fun to sit and share a pint with Tommy again.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 05:58:16 am by BrewBama »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3703 on: May 09, 2022, 11:41:28 am »
i somehow remembered the flavours of some early on pale ales i made.

just had such an urge to do a pale ale with 2row, crystal 40, US-05 and all cascade.. its been so long for me to do that. havent even used US-05 in about 5 years+

Online purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #3704 on: May 11, 2022, 02:37:53 pm »
Brewed an Amber Ale with Crisp Chevallier Heritage Malt (93%), Bonlander Munich Malt (6%), Midnight Wheat (1%) for color. Anvil Foundry BIAB 90 minute mash. Hops were Magnum, Cascade, Mosaic, Willamette. Used Lallemand BRY-97 yeast. First time using this malt looking forward to see how it tastes. OG was 1.058