Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423393 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3750 on: July 03, 2022, 08:30:06 am »
I just put together a melomel.  Six pounds (half gallon) Orange Blossom honey, just over 6 pounds of yellow passionfruit pulp from fruit growing in my side yard and some well water.  I pitched a bunch of BRY-97 slurry and nutrients into 3 gallons of must at 1.076.  It smells and tastes really good.

that is mindblowing lol. i love passionfruit but its always been very expensive wherever i've lived. ie. $1.50 per fruit or more.
I’ve been collecting them off the ground for a month now.  This was 40 of them, which I take it, would be pretty pricey.  One, shaken with gin or tequila and a little orgeat, makes a nice cocktail.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3751 on: July 03, 2022, 10:15:53 am »
Brewing a Cream Ale for the third time in the last two months. I hope 3rd time is the charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3752 on: July 03, 2022, 11:26:45 am »
Brewed a West Coast IPA in a split batch yesterday to compare Omega OYL-404 Star Party to US-05. If the thiolizing bit works could be a nice money saver, with hops like Calypso and Cascade half the price of Citra and Mosiac. All extract for now until I get enough time to move back to all grain batches. The short brew day is keeping it fun for now though.

https://share.brewfather.app/29XrzqgiFUdb5t
How did the Star Party work out?

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #3753 on: July 03, 2022, 02:05:51 pm »
A late entry.  I have a friend who's planning a big party in August.  Yesterday we brewed a honey brown ale to tap for the party.

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3754 on: July 03, 2022, 05:05:57 pm »
Tomorrow I’ll brew my homage to the nation’s oldest brewery on the nation’s birthday

« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:16:39 pm by BrewBama »

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #3755 on: July 07, 2022, 06:53:13 pm »
Brief update:

After brewing a German Pils (OG 1.050) on May 16th using Cellar Science's dry German Lager yeast (same as 34/70) and fermented at 50F, I subsequently brewed 2 more different beers, each 10-gal (+5.5 gals wort per each of 2 bucket fermenters), re-using the yeast slurry.  In each case I kegged the beer one day at which time I jarred the yeast slurry, and the next day brewed the new beer.  The additional beers were:

Oktoberfest (OG 1.057) on June 5th, fermented at 50F, and
Citra IPL (OG 1.057) on July 3rd, currently fermenting at 54F.

I certainly don't deserve it, but each brewday went well, and the 1st 2 beers turned out well - taste very good to my tastes!  Must have been my invoking divine assistance at the beginning of the brewday through the intercession of as many brewer patron saints I could think of...  :D

I had just a 12-hour lag time on the yeast for the beer currently fermenting, half of which will be served at a homebrew competition.

Pretty cool getting 3 lagers this late into the spring/early summer using just an IC at tap water temps - no pond pump in an ice bath.  Last batch I got down to 60F via IC, and chilled to 54F in a fridge ferment chamber over 6 hours before pitching the yeast slurry (20 oz per bucket).

Life is good.  Cheers to ya's!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 07:01:48 pm by brewsumore »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3756 on: July 07, 2022, 07:02:01 pm »
Brief update:

After brewing a German Pils (OG 1.050) on May 16th using Cellar Science's dry German Lager yeast (same as 34/70) and fermented at 50F, I subsequently brewed 2 more different beers, each 10-gal (+5.5 gals wort per each of 2 bucket fermenters), re-using the yeast slurry.  In each case I kegged the beer one day at which time I jarred the yeast slurry, and the next day brewed the new beer.  The additional beers were:

I certainly don't deserve it, but each brewday went well, and the 1st 2 beers turned out well - taste very good to my tastes!  Must have been my invoking divine assistance at the beginning of the brewday through the intercession of as many brewer patron saints I could think of...  :D

I had just a 12-hour lag time on the yeast for the beer currently fermenting, which will be served at a homebrew competition.

Pretty cool getting 3 lagers this late into the spring using just an IC at tap water temps - no pond pump in an ice bath.  Last batch I got down to 60F via IC, and chilled to 54F in a fridge ferment chamber over 6 hours before pitching the yeast slurry (20 oz per bucket).

Sounds great. You must live north of  the Arctic Circle. I have never chilled below 80F anytime of year.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #3757 on: July 07, 2022, 07:15:35 pm »
Brief update:

I had just a 12-hour lag time on the yeast for the beer currently fermenting, which will be served at a homebrew competition.

Pretty cool getting 3 lagers this late into the spring using just an IC at tap water temps - no pond pump in an ice bath.  Last batch I got down to 60F via IC, and chilled to 54F in a fridge ferment chamber over 6 hours before pitching the yeast slurry (20 oz per bucket).

Sounds great. You must live north of  the Arctic Circle. I have never chilled below 80F anytime of year.

Ha-ha-ha.  I live in eastern Washington State (Spokane, WA) about the same latitude as Munich.  We have had one of the coldest, wettest springs on record - so I took advantage of it. Now we're back into the 80's for the daily high temp.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3758 on: July 08, 2022, 08:15:43 am »
Throwing down an Irish Red for the hell of it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3759 on: July 08, 2022, 09:01:35 am »
Throwing down an Irish Red for the hell of it.
That’s the spirit!

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3760 on: July 08, 2022, 01:56:53 pm »
Small (1.046) coffee vanilla milk porter today.  Re-inspired by the Experimental Brewing episode on coffee in beer after developing the recipe last year after having something similar on draft at Hill Farmstead.  Will use home-roasted coffee and whatever vanilla beans I can find when I go looking.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3761 on: July 09, 2022, 05:29:30 am »
It's too hot to brew here this time of year here.  This weekend I'm brewing a bathroom remodel.  Going back to the studs.  Wish me luck on the sweating the new pipe valves (I kind of hate plumbing).

Have fun with your worts.

Cheers!!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3762 on: July 11, 2022, 07:23:34 am »
Brewing a Cream Ale this AM. Basically, it’s my KY Common recipe minus the dark malts, and Cluster (all 2021 harvest Saaz).

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 07:25:21 am by BrewBama »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3763 on: July 11, 2022, 08:11:42 am »
Brewing a Cream Ale this AM. Basically, it’s my KY Common recipe minus the dark malts, and Cluster (all 2021 harvest Saaz).

Very nice recipe, though I have to say the use of Crystal really intrigues me.  I don't think I've ever seen a Cream Ale recipe with it before.  What do you find the C40 brings to this style?

Hope the brew day goes well.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3764 on: July 11, 2022, 10:42:39 am »
I am just looking for a bit of body from the C40. I thought the Corn % is pretty high so I thought a bit won’t hurt. The KY Common was such a good beer which included the C40 I thought this would be as well. The tinge of gold color can’t hurt either. We’ll see.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 10:46:17 am by BrewBama »