I should have looked at the weather forecast before deciding to brew yesterday. It was 94°! Not good to be standing around 13 gallons of boiling wort. To top it off, I had a boilover and lost about a gallon of wort, plus had a sticky mess to cleanup. Had to added water to the fermenters. Fortunately, I had over shot my OG, so all was good. Hadn’t brewed in a while as my previous brew I discovered my 10 year old Coleman Extreme cooler mashtun had sprung a leak. So I replaced it, and the 10 year old bazooka screen that was a twisted mess from getting whacked by the brew paddle too many times. Also bought a longer threaded nipple, which I should have purchased years ago.
OG 1.054, 10 gallons
18 lbs Weyermann Bohemian pilsner malt
1 lb Weyermann melanoidin
1 lb Weyermann carafoam
Mash-in at 158° for 90 min, a little warmer than I wanted. I blame the heat. Batch sparge.
5 oz Saaz FWH
3 oz Cluster 90 min
3 oz Saaz 10 min
2 oz Saaz knockout
Diamond lager yeast. Freezer set at 48-53°.