Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423201 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3765 on: July 11, 2022, 10:44:47 am »
finally got around to brewing that vienna/munich beer this morning. its going now. adding 1oz amarillo at the end. man i love the smell of amarillo, i used to use it all the time, its clear why.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3766 on: July 11, 2022, 10:59:55 am »
Got Yet Another WCIPA in the fermenter yesterday.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3767 on: July 11, 2022, 11:55:30 am »
I am just looking for a bit of body from the C40. I thought the Corn % is pretty high so I thought a bit won’t hurt. The KY Common was such a good beer which included the C40 I thought this would be as well. The tinge of gold color can’t hurt either. We’ll see.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Sounds like good reasons to me.  Thanks for the reply.  Good luck with it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3768 on: July 11, 2022, 12:29:32 pm »
finally got around to brewing that vienna/munich beer this morning. its going now. adding 1oz amarillo at the end. man i love the smell of amarillo, i used to use it all the time, its clear why.
There were a few harvest years maybe 8-10 years ago where the quality on Amarillo was hot or miss from year to year. That was around the time where a whole bunch of new hops were coming out every year, and I ended up moving away from Amarillo to other varieties. I tried Amarillo cryo last year, and I've been going back for more ever since. It is such a great hop in any hoppy style (and non-hoppy ones if used judiciously).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3769 on: July 11, 2022, 12:58:52 pm »
There were a few harvest years maybe 8-10 years ago where the quality on Amarillo was hot or miss from year to year. That was around the time where a whole bunch of new hops were coming out every year, and I ended up moving away from Amarillo to other varieties. I tried Amarillo cryo last year, and I've been going back for more ever since. It is such a great hop in any hoppy style (and non-hoppy ones if used judiciously).

i do remember that, amarillo was once cutting edge, then suddenly there were a dozen new ones at the brewstore.
i intended to do a test cryobrew, but my OHBS started raising their prices on everything, and i decided to just try to cut back a bit in an upcoming pliny clone attempt. ie. 1oz of simcoe is $2.50, 1oz of cryo simcoe was $5.50. idk, anyway gotta do a prominent amarillo brew sometime soon, i believe i heard amarillo+citra is one of the best

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3770 on: July 11, 2022, 01:15:19 pm »
I am just looking for a bit of body from the C40. I thought the Corn % is pretty high so I thought a bit won’t hurt. The KY Common was such a good beer which included the C40 I thought this would be as well. The tinge of gold color can’t hurt either. We’ll see.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
I add a little bit of Honey Malt with mine. It goes well with the corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3771 on: July 12, 2022, 10:34:03 am »

i do remember that, amarillo was once cutting edge, then suddenly there were a dozen new ones at the brewstore.
i intended to do a test cryobrew, but my OHBS started raising their prices on everything, and i decided to just try to cut back a bit in an upcoming pliny clone attempt. ie. 1oz of simcoe is $2.50, 1oz of cryo simcoe was $5.50. idk, anyway gotta do a prominent amarillo brew sometime soon, i believe i heard amarillo+citra is one of the best
Simcoe + Amarillo + Citra was my go-to back in the day, and I've been using the same combo with Cryo hops lately.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3772 on: July 17, 2022, 02:44:48 pm »
Today I brewed a blonde ale with all Tettnang hops.

3 gallons, 1045 OG, 23 IBU
78% Briess Brewers Malt
16% GW White Wheat
6% Briess Caramel 20
0.47 oz Tettnang 4.1% @ 60
0.47 oz Tettnang 4.1% @ 15
0.47 oz Tettnang 4.1% @ 5
0.5 oz Tettnang 4.1% @ 0
1 pack of Bry-97

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #3773 on: July 17, 2022, 05:10:23 pm »
Brewed a Cream Ale outside yesterday. Very humid out but well worth it.
Na zdrowie!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3774 on: July 18, 2022, 01:29:27 pm »
I should have looked at the weather forecast before deciding to brew yesterday. It was 94°! Not good to be standing around 13 gallons of boiling wort. To top it off, I had a boilover and lost about a gallon of wort, plus had a sticky mess to cleanup. Had to added water to the fermenters. Fortunately, I had over shot my OG, so all was good. Hadn’t brewed in a while as my previous brew I discovered my 10 year old Coleman Extreme cooler mashtun had sprung a leak. So I replaced it, and the 10 year old bazooka screen that was a twisted mess from getting whacked by the brew paddle too many times. Also bought a longer threaded nipple, which I should have purchased years ago.

Czech pilsner

OG 1.054, 10 gallons

18 lbs Weyermann Bohemian pilsner malt
1 lb Weyermann melanoidin
1 lb Weyermann carafoam

Mash-in at 158° for 90 min, a little warmer than I wanted. I blame the heat. Batch sparge.

5 oz Saaz FWH
3 oz Cluster 90 min
3 oz Saaz 10 min
2 oz Saaz knockout

Diamond lager yeast. Freezer set at 48-53°.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3775 on: July 25, 2022, 11:28:52 am »
Brewing today

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3776 on: July 29, 2022, 11:01:16 am »
Brewing an Amber Ale on the sweet side today.

1050 OG, 44 IBU, 3 gallons
70% Briess Brewers Malt
17% C40
3% C120
10% Victory malt
30 IBU Magnum @ 60
12 IBU Cascade @ 5
0.75 Cascade @ 0
Bry-97 slurry
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 12:42:49 pm by tommymorris »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3777 on: July 29, 2022, 07:11:43 pm »
Brewed a perry with Walmart Great Value Pear Juice and S23 yeast.

Is “brewed” the right word for this? I poured juice into a jar and pitched yeast.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 07:15:39 pm by tommymorris »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3778 on: July 29, 2022, 09:13:08 pm »
hopefully a pliny inspired WCIPA, pliny clone but 1% lower ABV and OG/BU equivalent reduction

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3779 on: August 01, 2022, 02:32:43 pm »
Yesterday I brewed an Oktoberfest.

10 gallons, OG 1.058

8 lbs. Pilsner malt
8 lbs. Munich malt
8 lbs. Vienna malt
1.5 lbs. Caramunich III malt

Mash-in at 153°F for 90 min. Batch sparge.

3 oz. Spalt FWH
2 oz. Cluster 90 min
3 oz. Mittelfruh 10 min

Racked the Czech pils I brewed on July 18, and added the wort to two yeast cakes of Diamond lager yeast.