Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417258 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3840 on: September 30, 2022, 03:40:41 pm »

Sounds great!!!

thanks, but truly the high brown malt percentage has me worried, also worried about the FG either being very low or very high. if it works, i will happily add a note to the growing pile of anecdotes that the maltster recommended max percentages of certain malts are simply their personal and likely out of date opinions. (brown malt on crisp's webpage says "up to 5%" lol)
I've gone up to 10% with great results
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #3841 on: October 01, 2022, 09:45:22 am »
Time permitting, two 6.5-liter batches:

First, an 1890s imperial stout adapted from Ron Pattinson.
 Aiming for 1086 OG and 50 IBUs.

Second, an 1890s Porter (also Pattinson-derived). Aiming for 1.054 and 28 IBUs.

These will be my first all-grain batches since moving this past winter 🤞
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3842 on: October 03, 2022, 07:40:12 am »
I made a Vienna Lager on Sunday 10/2.  This is the beer where I added one pack of Diamond and one pack of 34/70.  I got such a beautiful and clear, reddish-brown wort going into the fermenter.  I added the two packs of yeast and gave the fermenter 30 seconds of pure O2 and put it into the fridge.  I had bubbles in the sanitizer in 6 hours which was a pleasant surprise.  Looking forward to this one.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3843 on: October 03, 2022, 08:19:03 am »
Brewing an "homage" to Houblon Chouffe today. https://community.grainfather.com/recipes/879557
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3844 on: October 03, 2022, 09:12:41 am »
I am brewing a Schwarzbier today. I normally steer clear of Pils malt but admittedly hadn’t tried North American barley Pils malt — only Continental barley Pils malt. So, I’m giving the Great Western Superior Pils a try.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 09:21:28 am by BrewBama »

Offline COFlyGuy

• 1st Kit
  • A cold beer makes a good day!
« Reply #3845 on: October 03, 2022, 12:09:23 pm »
I rolled out a goofy batch, my own term, of the LTDH22 Amber Ale in preparation for the Learn To Homebrew on November 5, 2022. I can say without a doubt I learned alot from this brew. As a little background, this was only my second batch of beer I have brewed and my first extract brew.

So what did I learn?

1. Make sure to follow the recipe!
2. Extract does make things a bit easier.
3. Brewing is super fun!
4. You get better the more you practice.
5. Mistakes are ways to grasp the concepts of successful brewing.

Notes on the above
1. When the recipe tells you that the final yield will produce 1 gallon of beer when starting with 2 gallons of water you should get that and all the numbers will work. Don't use a pre boil pot of 3 gallons of water for a final yield of 1 gallon unless you want to spend an extra few hours boiling down your wort.

2. The first time doing an extract can be a bit easier when starting brewing. And spilled DME gets super sticky when even a small amount is spilled on a hard surface when there is a high humidity level the air.

3. The art of brewing has many fine points that can make or break a brew. But, I did enjoy hanging out with my brother-in-law making this beer and shooting the bull on a rainy evening while drinking another brew.

4. Brewing a batch of beer on my own without the assistance of a fellow experienced brewer teaches you alot. I made sure I went through the entire process from beginning to end and grasped a few of the steps that I knew were necessary but didn't really have down.

5. Mistakes made on this brew were small but frustrating and made me look harder at my notes. I was pretty quickly able to see where I made mistakes and how to correct them in the future. For example,  the recipe called for 2 gallons of water, and my lack of attention had me starting with 3 gallons of water. My yield was much larger than I expected. Because my OG was significantly lower than I expected as will my FG and Total ABV. It will still make a beer, maybe more of a table beer. After some recalculations I am likely looking at an ABV of 2.48%. Had I followed the recipe exactly, I would have been looking at an expected OG of 1.058.

I am still enjoying everything and can't wait for fermentation to complete in a few weeks in preparation for carbonation and bottling. I will share the final results at that time and may have to make one more attempt at this recipe.

You can save the world one brew at a time!
Bacon is the Duct Tape of the food world.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3846 on: October 03, 2022, 02:54:09 pm »
I rolled out a goofy batch, my own term, of the LTDH22 Amber Ale in preparation for the Learn To Homebrew on November 5, 2022. I can say without a doubt I learned alot from this brew. As a little background, this was only my second batch of beer I have brewed and my first extract brew.

So what did I learn?

1. Make sure to follow the recipe!
2. Extract does make things a bit easier.
3. Brewing is super fun!
4. You get better the more you practice.
5. Mistakes are ways to grasp the concepts of successful brewing.

Notes on the above
1. When the recipe tells you that the final yield will produce 1 gallon of beer when starting with 2 gallons of water you should get that and all the numbers will work. Don't use a pre boil pot of 3 gallons of water for a final yield of 1 gallon unless you want to spend an extra few hours boiling down your wort.

2. The first time doing an extract can be a bit easier when starting brewing. And spilled DME gets super sticky when even a small amount is spilled on a hard surface when there is a high humidity level the air.

3. The art of brewing has many fine points that can make or break a brew. But, I did enjoy hanging out with my brother-in-law making this beer and shooting the bull on a rainy evening while drinking another brew.

4. Brewing a batch of beer on my own without the assistance of a fellow experienced brewer teaches you alot. I made sure I went through the entire process from beginning to end and grasped a few of the steps that I knew were necessary but didn't really have down.

5. Mistakes made on this brew were small but frustrating and made me look harder at my notes. I was pretty quickly able to see where I made mistakes and how to correct them in the future. For example,  the recipe called for 2 gallons of water, and my lack of attention had me starting with 3 gallons of water. My yield was much larger than I expected. Because my OG was significantly lower than I expected as will my FG and Total ABV. It will still make a beer, maybe more of a table beer. After some recalculations I am likely looking at an ABV of 2.48%. Had I followed the recipe exactly, I would have been looking at an expected OG of 1.058.

I am still enjoying everything and can't wait for fermentation to complete in a few weeks in preparation for carbonation and bottling. I will share the final results at that time and may have to make one more attempt at this recipe.
I hope it turns out well. Most mistakes turn out fine. Beer is pretty forgiving. Welcome aboard.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3847 on: October 09, 2022, 03:01:39 am »
AG Batch #80, (4.5 gal in Fermenter)

8 lbs Vienna (Weyermann)
1/2 lb Double Dutch Munich (Deer Creek)

45 min, 50g  Tettnanger Dried 2022 (Hops Direct) AA 4.3

2 pks Diamond (Dated JAN 2023) re-hydrated, starter

60 min Mash, 1/4 t gypsum
60 min Boil, 1/4 t gypsum
15 min Boil, Yeast Nutrient, & Irish Moss

Double Drop
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 06:18:11 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3848 on: October 09, 2022, 08:59:21 am »
Yesterday I brewed a hoppy German Pilsner with 100% Weyerman Pils, hopped with Magnum and some homegrown Saaz hops my brother sent me.  I pitched 34/70 into 5 gallons and Diamond into the other five.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3849 on: October 09, 2022, 09:53:55 am »
Yesterday I brewed a hoppy German Pilsner with 100% Weyerman Pils, hopped with Magnum and some homegrown Saaz hops my brother sent me.  I pitched 34/70 into 5 gallons and Diamond into the other five.
Sounds good. I’ll be interested to hear if the two beers taste noticeably different.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3850 on: October 09, 2022, 12:43:51 pm »
Sounds good. I’ll be interested to hear if the two beers taste noticeably different.
Me, too!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #3851 on: October 09, 2022, 05:34:02 pm »
Brewed my cream ale that I'll turn 5 gallons into a coconut cream ale and the other 5 gallons into a vanilla cream ale. These are 2 of my most requested brews by others.

Finished about an hour ago...

Having a beer and relaxing :-)

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #3852 on: October 12, 2022, 07:37:34 am »
Cold IPA (3.5 gallons)

OG=1.065   FG=1.010 estimated
80% Pilsner Malt (Briess Synergy Select and Mecca Pelton)
15% Sugar Creek Amanda Malted White Corn
5% table sugar

Flameout hops: 40g Centennial and 40g Mosaic
Dry hop at high krausen: 20g Centennial and 20g Mosaic

Yeast= 1pkg Fermentis 34/70

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3853 on: October 12, 2022, 10:20:37 am »
I'm going to make that AHA Zoiglbier again.  I made it once already but at the time I had White Labs 940 Mexican working and the beer came out nicely but right now I have both Omega German Lager #1 and also a combination of Diamond and 34/70 (mixed together in a Vienna Lager) so one of those is going to be used in another iteration of the Zoiglbier with Edelweiss for the hops.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3854 on: October 12, 2022, 11:54:46 am »
Finally getting around to my Amarillo Pale Ale

74% pils
20% vienna
6% honey malt

columbus bittering
1.5 oz Amarillo @ 10
1.5 oz Amarillo @ 2
3 oz Amarillo DH

~35 IBU
Danstar Koln