Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 422092 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3900 on: November 19, 2022, 04:34:14 pm »
I do 30 min boils usually, but occasionally extend them out to 60 mins to get the right OG, if it needs it.

See David Heath discussion on shorter boils, among others….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI4XVtGdbo4

very interesting datapoint and now i will admit, ive been doing 45 min boils for most of my brews over the past 2 years. this 30 min boil on this pilsner, i plan to boil more vigourously than what i do for a 45 or 60 min boil.
tbh, i have NEVER experienced DMS/distinct corn taste in any beer ive ever made, so i do want to push it to see if i can make a bare minimum active time pale lager. re this: i know a quick google search would reveal answers but does mash length influence the DMS precursors in the wort? i think i recall something about that.

Is the malt flavor more pronounced with a 30 min boil ?

Not in my experience

i recall hearing you and drew discussing that (if i remember correctly... and i believe i do...) that the boil doesnt create caramelization or melanoidins but simply condenses the existing ones in a smaller amount of liquid.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3901 on: November 19, 2022, 05:45:52 pm »
Shorter boils impact total volume via less boil off and adjusted hop utilization since the hop additions may need to be increased to get a similar result as expected from a given amount at a longer boil time.  I like the saved time and add it to the mash time for a better conversion, but that’s just my approach.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 05:47:55 pm by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3902 on: November 20, 2022, 02:32:47 am »
Shorter boils impact total volume via less boil off and adjusted hop utilization since the hop additions may need to be increased to get a similar result as expected from a given amount at a longer boil time.  I like the saved time and add it to the mash time for a better conversion, but that’s just my approach.

I see, that makes sense, you mash for 90 min ?

Thanks

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3903 on: November 20, 2022, 04:23:48 am »
I go 90 min mash most of the time, but partly because I brew mostly lagers, so I mash at 148F for my typical batch sparge infusion mash for a lager.  Ales are mashed at 152-154F infusion with batch sparge.  Sometimes I recirc and seem to get full conversion quicker with a step mash and mash out, but that is totally my experience and anecdotal - not based on side by side testing.

Cheers.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #3904 on: November 20, 2022, 06:08:54 am »
I go 90 min mash most of the time, but partly because I brew mostly lagers, so I mash at 148F for my typical batch sparge infusion mash for a lager.  Ales are mashed at 152-154F infusion with batch sparge.  Sometimes I recirc and seem to get full conversion quicker with a step mash and mash out, but that is totally my experience and anecdotal - not based on side by side testing.

Cheers.
I do something very similar.

140°F 30 min, 158°F 45 min, 167°F 30 min, 60 min boil — or — 152°F 60 min, 167°F 30 min, 60 min boil.  Regardless, I recirculate the entire mash. I don’t Sparge.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3905 on: November 20, 2022, 08:07:25 am »
That works!  With winter setting in, I may go to occasionally brewing in my basement with a steam condenser for the boil, using my Anvil Foundry.  I can run the captured condensate directly into a sump pump pit…this hobby is great.

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3906 on: November 25, 2022, 09:18:10 am »
Double Brew Day!! 18 gallons each, going into one fermentor.

RO Water
Ca.-30ppm
Mg.-2ppm
SO4-32ppm
CL2-49ppm
Na-30

84% Weyermann Floor Malted Pilsner
14% Weyermann Carafoam
2% Weyermann Acidulated

Whole Leaf Saaz to 39 IBU's
WLP-802  @ 50*
Mash-In 150
No mash out
90 min boil

Thanksgiving weather was absolutely beautiful and today, well, its raining and 39* so a great day to brew in the basement!!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3907 on: November 25, 2022, 11:01:08 am »

RO Water
Ca.-30ppm
Mg.-2ppm
SO4-32ppm
CL2-49ppm
Na-30

14% Weyermann Carafoam
2% Weyermann Acidulated

WLP-802  @ 50*
Mash-In 150
No mash out
90 min boil

Thanksgiving weather was absolutely beautiful and today, well, its raining and 39* so a great day to brew in the basement!!
That’s a lot of beer! Looks promising!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3908 on: November 25, 2022, 11:24:19 am »

RO Water
Ca.-30ppm
Mg.-2ppm
SO4-32ppm
CL2-49ppm
Na-30

14% Weyermann Carafoam
2% Weyermann Acidulated

WLP-802  @ 50*
Mash-In 150
No mash out
90 min boil

I would be scared making a batch that big.  If I didn't like my recipe, I would die.
How do you ventilate brewing in your basement ?

Thanks
Cheers

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3909 on: November 25, 2022, 11:27:07 am »

RO Water
Ca.-30ppm
Mg.-2ppm
SO4-32ppm
CL2-49ppm
Na-30

14% Weyermann Carafoam
2% Weyermann Acidulated

WLP-802  @ 50*
Mash-In 150
No mash out
90 min boil

That’s a lot of beer! Looks promising!

Right? LOL!
This is my main go to daily sipper. Friends like it too, especially when its Friday night pizza. Todays brew is the 5th iteration of this recipe. A singular small change to compare using carafoam at a higher percentage.

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3910 on: November 25, 2022, 11:34:45 am »

RO Water
Ca.-30ppm
Mg.-2ppm
SO4-32ppm
CL2-49ppm
Na-30

14% Weyermann Carafoam
2% Weyermann Acidulated

WLP-802  @ 50*
Mash-In 150
No mash out
90 min boil

I would be scared making a batch that big.  If I didn't like my recipe, I would die.
How do you ventilate brewing in your basement ?

Thanks
Cheers
So I have a friend in the HVAC biz. He made it out of the sheet metal used for the return air ducts. I then vented outside with an in-line fan. Also have return air that connects to my ductwork. Works great and much cheaper than a SS option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3911 on: November 25, 2022, 01:57:32 pm »
So I have a friend in the HVAC biz. He made it out of the sheet metal used for the return air ducts. I then vented outside with an in-line fan. Also have return air that connects to my ductwork. Works great and much cheaper than a SS option.

That's such a great idea.
How is it lit underneath hood, are those blue lights ?
How was it exactly vented outside ? cut hole in house and dryer vent fixture type ?

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 02:02:50 pm by Fire Rooster »

Online HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3912 on: November 25, 2022, 02:17:22 pm »

That's such a great idea.
How is it lit underneath hood, are those blue lights ?
How was it exactly vented outside ? cut hole in house and dryer vent fixture type ?

Thanks

So yes, cut a 2 holes thru my house. Wasn't my first choice but the way the joists run i really didn't have another option and I wasn't going thru the window either. The vent is 5 or 6" as are the outside hoods. They are critter proof also. It works very well. I turn the furnace fan to the on position and open up the damper that he installed prior to duct inlet on brew day. For anyone thinking of this option, make sure that there is massive return air or you risk asphyxiation from your gas water heater and or furnace.

The lights are just some LED strip lighting with adhesive from amazon.

Cheers!!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3913 on: November 27, 2022, 08:17:08 am »
helles beer with wlp920. 97% pils 3% acidulated malt ~29 IBU

overnight mash, heating the mash water was not a big deal obviously. my active brewday was 2 hours 25 minutes including full cleanup. not bad.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3914 on: November 27, 2022, 09:36:17 am »
I brewed yesterday.  For those familiar with New Glarus, I made something that comes close to their "Two Women" lager which is described as a "country lager".  Years ago I emailed them to ask for help with a recipe but they declined to help.  The label says it's Hallertau Mittelfruh hops and only two malts and it seems plausible that it's pilsner and Munich 2.  The yeast character also suggests something like 2308/838 and this Omega German Lager #1 I'm using seems like it's very much this strain or very similar.  So yesterday it was 60% pilsner, 40% mix of Munich 1 and 2, about 23 IBus of HM for 30 and another ounce with 10 minutes left.  About 5%, SRM of maybe 7-8 and IBUs around 26 or so.  I've made this beer many times and even if it's NOT New Glarus Two Women, it's a good homage.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.