Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 422083 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3915 on: November 28, 2022, 05:38:22 am »
I brewed yesterday.  For those familiar with New Glarus, I made something that comes close to their "Two Women" lager which is described as a "country lager".  Years ago I emailed them to ask for help with a recipe but they declined to help.  The label says it's Hallertau Mittelfruh hops and only two malts and it seems plausible that it's pilsner and Munich 2.  The yeast character also suggests something like 2308/838 and this Omega German Lager #1 I'm using seems like it's very much this strain or very similar.  So yesterday it was 60% pilsner, 40% mix of Munich 1 and 2, about 23 IBus of HM for 30 and another ounce with 10 minutes left.  About 5%, SRM of maybe 7-8 and IBUs around 26 or so.  I've made this beer many times and even if it's NOT New Glarus Two Women, it's a good homage.  Cheers Beerheads.
Your interpretation sounds like it will be a success.

Great minds think alike. I have a ‘Country’ Helles Export I am planning to brew after another Bock. It’s my Alt recipe with an additional pound of Pils minus the C and roast malts.

I based my version on the ‘German Brewing Team’s’ note but omitted the C and A malts they use:

“Bavarian Helles is commonly brewed in two forms, Helles and Helles Export; however, many smaller breweries in Bavaria produce a more rustic or Country style of Helles. …. Country Helles is a more robust interpretation of Helles, ...”

http://www.germanbrewing.net/docs/On_Brewing_Bavarian_Helles_v3.pdf

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 05:44:52 am by BrewBama »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3916 on: November 28, 2022, 07:06:03 am »
I brewed yesterday.  For those familiar with New Glarus, I made something that comes close to their "Two Women" lager which is described as a "country lager".  Years ago I emailed them to ask for help with a recipe but they declined to help.  The label says it's Hallertau Mittelfruh hops and only two malts and it seems plausible that it's pilsner and Munich 2.  The yeast character also suggests something like 2308/838 and this Omega German Lager #1 I'm using seems like it's very much this strain or very similar.  So yesterday it was 60% pilsner, 40% mix of Munich 1 and 2, about 23 IBus of HM for 30 and another ounce with 10 minutes left.  About 5%, SRM of maybe 7-8 and IBUs around 26 or so.  I've made this beer many times and even if it's NOT New Glarus Two Women, it's a good homage.  Cheers Beerheads.
Your interpretation sounds like it will be a success.

Great minds think alike. I have a ‘Country’ Helles Export I am planning to brew after another Bock. It’s my Alt recipe with an additional pound of Pils minus the C and roast malts.

I based my version on the ‘German Brewing Team’s’ note but omitted the C and A malts they use:

“Bavarian Helles is commonly brewed in two forms, Helles and Helles Export; however, many smaller breweries in Bavaria produce a more rustic or Country style of Helles. …. Country Helles is a more robust interpretation of Helles, ...”

http://www.germanbrewing.net/docs/On_Brewing_Bavarian_Helles_v3.pdf

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
I had never heard this term "country lager" before I saw this beer by New Glarus although I realize that there are small German breweries everywhere producing delicious beer of their own design.  This beer "Two Women" refers to the woman who runs New Glarus with her husband (Deb Carey) and also the woman who apparently runs Weyermann Malting... it was a collaboration of sorts.  In the past the beer seemed slightly more amber-colored.  I got some this year and it seemed more pale.  The hops are restrained and the overall character of the beer is "soft".  Here's a shot of a glass of this beer I made in 2021...

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3917 on: December 03, 2022, 01:43:56 pm »
AG Batch #83, (4.5 gal in Fermenter)

7 lbs 12 oz, Weyermann Vienna
12 oz, Deer Creek Toasted Oat Malt (First Time)

45 min, 1 oz Mt Hood Dried
 2022 Yakima Valley AA 3.7

35 min, 1 oz Tettnanger Dried
 2022 Hops Direct AA 4.3

(1) 1469 West Yorkshire
Dated 29 APR 2023, Propper starter

1hr 15 min Mash, 1/4 t gypsum
45 min Boil, 1/4 t gypsum

BIAB, Double Drop
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 02:36:12 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3918 on: December 04, 2022, 05:15:52 am »
10 gallon Simple Helles - 16lbs Best Pils, 1 lb Carahell, half pound acid malt RO adjusted with 4g CaCl2, 2g gypsum, 1g Brewtan B,  90 min mash 30 min boil, 1 oz Magnum FWH 2 ozs Mittelfruh 10 min
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3919 on: December 04, 2022, 07:30:23 am »

2022 Hops Direct AA 4.3

(1) 1469 West Yorkshire

BIAB, Double Drop

I’ve never used their toasted oat malt.  I would be interested to hear your thoughts.  Please keep us posted!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3920 on: December 04, 2022, 09:39:44 am »

2022 Hops Direct AA 4.3

(1) 1469 West Yorkshire

BIAB, Double Drop

I’ve never used their toasted oat malt.  I would be interested to hear your thoughts.  Please keep us posted!

Will do, will be a month or two, ordered directly from Deer Creek.
Went a little bit higher than planned, to get a handle on taste.
My thoughts it might be a good addition for smoothness and mouthfeel, maybe taste.

Not as toasted as I would have liked, might try slightly toasting in iron skillet next time, depends on taste.
A trick from Cooks Illustrated for oatmeal cookies is to slightly toast oatmeal in iron skillet.
Fine line between nice and toasty taste to burnt.

https://www.ehow.com/how_8215870_toast-oats-skillet.html

Also have Deer Creeks corn malt.  Figured I'll try that too, instead of thinking or chatting about it.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:27:47 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline tommymorris

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3921 on: December 04, 2022, 11:34:11 am »
Brewing a 3 gallons of Festbier for winter; Winterfest.

1055 OG, 100% CMC Superior Pils. 23 IBU. All Magnum with a half ounce at flameout for flavor. 34/70 yeast.

A bit non-traditional. I wanted to try the CMC Pils alone to taste it. Plus, I make a lot of 100% Pils lagers and enjoy them. This one is just a bit bigger. Also, I am running out of lager hops while I wait for the 2022 crop. I’ve got Magnum and Edelweiss to hold me over.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:48:49 am by tommymorris »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3922 on: December 11, 2022, 07:34:19 am »
Belgian Dubble Trubble

70% Dingemans Pilsen Malt
22% Weyermann Abbey Malt
4% Briess Aromatic Malt
4% Dingemans Special B
D-90 Candi @flameout
D-180 Candi @flameout

German Magnum 14.8%AA 16 IBU's 60Mins.
German Saaz 3.8%AA 5 IBU's 20Mins.

WLP500 70*f

Mash 60
Boil 75

OG est.1.071
FG est.1.013

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3923 on: December 11, 2022, 09:17:01 am »
Belgian Dubble Trubble

22% Weyermann Abbey Malt
4% Briess Aromatic Malt
4% Dingemans Special B
D-90 Candi @flameout
D-180 Candi @flameout

WLP500 70*f

Mash 60
Boil 75

OG est.1.071
FG est.1.013

others may simply say obvious or disagree, but imho oxygenate the wort for wlp500 for sure. i have used it and l'abbaye (similar, dry) a bunch and always had attenuation issues. im not as experienced as a lot of people tho with things

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3924 on: December 11, 2022, 09:25:22 am »
also, do you guys brew a bunch, then pause, and while drinking it re-assess the planning of your next brews?

thats basically how i conceptualize my brewing. i made a bunch of fairly big beers, and planned to do some more like that, now im trimming down my future brews, im thinking my sweet spot is likely going to end up with OGs between 1.050 and 1.060 and FGs between 1.010 and 1.017

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3925 on: December 11, 2022, 09:46:59 am »
I typically buy and brew in groups of three. I buy in threes to get free shipping. I brew in threes to apply a concept.

That’s pretty much how I’ve settled on the way I brew.  One iteration of threes after another. (That’s the goal anyway. I don’t always adhere to it.)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3926 on: December 11, 2022, 11:40:03 am »
Belgian Dubble Trubble

22% Weyermann Abbey Malt
4% Briess Aromatic Malt
4% Dingemans Special B
D-90 Candi @flameout
D-180 Candi @flameout

WLP500 70*f

Mash 60
Boil 75

OG est.1.071
FG est.1.013

others may simply say obvious or disagree, but imho oxygenate the wort for wlp500 for sure. i have used it and l'abbaye (similar, dry) a bunch and always had attenuation issues. im not as experienced as a lot of people tho with things

Definitely agree. I made a 4L starter ( I don't usually use starters) and pitched at high krausen. Gave it a nice low and slow dose of O2 for 90 secs.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3927 on: December 11, 2022, 01:01:11 pm »
I typically buy and brew in groups of three. I buy in threes to get free shipping. I brew in threes to apply a concept.

That’s pretty much how I’ve settled on the way I brew.  One iteration of threes after another. (That’s the goal anyway. I don’t always adhere to it.)

Exactly what I do, approx every 2 1/2 Months.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 01:03:46 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline GarageBier

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3928 on: December 11, 2022, 01:08:05 pm »
Finally brewed my first batch this weekend. It’s a Belgian Ale. I’m really low tech, but I’m still excited to see how it turns out.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3929 on: December 11, 2022, 01:52:21 pm »
Finally brewed my first batch this weekend. It’s a Belgian Ale. I’m really low tech, but I’m still excited to see how it turns out.

Good luck with it!  For what it’s worth, I’ve made many batches of beer and I happily remain very low tech.   :)