Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 420914 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4020 on: March 05, 2023, 04:34:51 pm »
a stout

1lb flaked barley
10lb golden promise
1lb black malt
80g carafa 3 special to get the colour where i want

NB and simcoe hops to 45 IBU with some aroma

Yeow! Black, not roasted barley?

no, so my source uses simpsons roast barley and the times ive used it it has this smokey, wild(?), aggressive taste i dont like. it just hasnt fit the dry stout i want and i dont use it. i may give it a try again at some point though.

Have you made it before with that much black patent?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4021 on: March 05, 2023, 09:03:27 pm »

Have you made it before with that much black patent?

lol yes, the black malt is from thomas fawcett and i find it a neutral, dark roast, near-ashy black malt that i like. drinking a porter now that has 4% black malt in it on a 1.073 OG. my experience is that, at least from what i get here, black malt is not a boogeyman. most recent dry stout before this used roasted barley and i didn't like the taste, one before that was black malt and it was much more in line with what i wanted. only been in this locale for about 3 years and a bit now so i was adjusting to what was available to me.

if you want to ask more i can maybe explain more since i did use RB in an imp stout about a year ago, and got those same notes.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4022 on: March 06, 2023, 06:42:18 am »
… black malt is not a boogeyman. …

This reminds me of a quote from an old BYO article Kristen England wrote, “If there ever was a malt equivalent of the crazy uncle that lives under the stairs, black malt (also called black patent malt) would be it.”

He goes on, “Few people use it, most people don’t think they like it and everyone is afraid of it.”

Ref: https://byo.com/article/back-in-black-the-truth-about-black-patent-malt/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 06:44:25 am by BrewBama »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #4023 on: March 09, 2023, 04:47:32 am »

This reminds me of a quote from an old BYO article Kristen England wrote, “If there ever was a malt equivalent of the crazy uncle that lives under the stairs, black malt (also called black patent malt) would be it.”

He goes on, “Few people use it, most people don’t think they like it and everyone is afraid of it.”

I used black malt once, not kidding it tasted like licking an ash tray.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4024 on: March 09, 2023, 06:23:39 pm »

the big thing i believe i've learned about the dark roasted malts, and it's been said here before, but there is as much difference between maltsters as there are between product names ie. roasted barley, black (patent) malt, chocolate etc.

the black malt from thomas fawcett tastes clean, non-harsh and has a sort of clean-ashy depth to it. this stout coming up should be a really good beer for me to do some tastings on this malt, since the last two uses ive done with it have been mixed with significant qtys of brown malt and then choc/pale choc respectively.

truly, dont write off black malt, and definitely record maltster and SRM for roasted grains when youre saving recipes if you ever want to attempt to repeat it

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4025 on: March 10, 2023, 09:28:30 am »

the big thing i believe i've learned about the dark roasted malts, and it's been said here before, but there is as much difference between maltsters as there are between product names ie. roasted barley, black (patent) malt, chocolate etc.

the black malt from thomas fawcett tastes clean, non-harsh and has a sort of clean-ashy depth to it. this stout coming up should be a really good beer for me to do some tastings on this malt, since the last two uses ive done with it have been mixed with significant qtys of brown malt and then choc/pale choc respectively.

truly, dont write off black malt, and definitely record maltster and SRM for roasted grains when youre saving recipes if you ever want to attempt to repeat it

I make a lot of Stouts as well and I completely agree that maltster matters.  But so does the obvious…percentage of grain bill.  Any roasted malt is going to taste ashy/acrid/harsh (whatever is the best descriptor) if used in too high a quantity.  For my house stout, I’ve settled on mainly Roasted Barley from a local craft maltster…at 8%.  Add in 2% of Pale Chocolate (I used to use CarafaII, but prefer the change as CII didn’t really bring anything to the table for me) and I have a nice dark roastiness with just a touch of chocolate to balance.

Another thing that I have found important (and YMMV of course) is mash pH.  My stouts have benefited from pH’s in the 5.6 range.  I can’t explain the science as to why, but they really seem smoother, less sharp mashed there than 5.3-5.4.  Just a better all around mouthfeel and finish.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4026 on: March 10, 2023, 10:55:06 am »
Session IPA
80% pilsner
12% flaked wheat
8% honey malt

bitter with magnum
35g Citra 20 min
35g Citra 2 min
56g Citra DH
56g Eclipse DH

Danstar New England Yeast

~30 IBU

On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4027 on: March 10, 2023, 02:55:39 pm »

I make a lot of Stouts as well and I completely agree that maltster matters.  But so does the obvious…percentage of grain bill.  Any roasted malt is going to taste ashy/acrid/harsh (whatever is the best descriptor) if used in too high a quantity.  For my house stout, I’ve settled on mainly Roasted Barley from a local craft maltster…at 8%.  Add in 2% of Pale Chocolate (I used to use CarafaII, but prefer the change as CII didn’t really bring anything to the table for me) and I have a nice dark roastiness with just a touch of chocolate to balance.

Another thing that I have found important (and YMMV of course) is mash pH.  My stouts have benefited from pH’s in the 5.6 range.  I can’t explain the science as to why, but they really seem smoother, less sharp mashed there than 5.3-5.4.  Just a better all around mouthfeel and finish.

i recall you being a stout/dark beer guy. yes, 100% the pHs. i made some beers with large amounts of roasted malt and one of them is distinctly tangy and body feels thinner than it should be. it is a serious flaw and im working on making a better estimate in bru-n-water for future brews with large amounts of roasted malt.

i cant remember the episode, might have been experimental brewing Q&A episode, but there was some discussion on pH and results in very dark beers.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4028 on: March 10, 2023, 03:00:31 pm »
Session IPA
80% pilsner
12% flaked wheat
8% honey malt

bitter with magnum
35g Citra 20 min
35g Citra 2 min
56g Citra DH
56g Eclipse DH

~30 IBU
I just brewed with this yeast last weekend. It took 39 hours to drop a gravity point on the Tilt. Then it went from 1045 to 1006.  I have only tasted a sample from the spigot. It has a nice English fruity flavor. Nothing overpowering. The exact fruits I taste is hard to tell.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4029 on: March 10, 2023, 03:11:59 pm »
I just made a starter with 2124 and I plan to brew tomorrow.  Last year I went to my local supplier and she told me that Omega German Lager 1 was the same strain and I regret to inform her that it's not.  It's a perfectly fine strain that made great beer but it was not 2124.  I nice pale lager made with 2124 is one of my favorite beers.  So I am making exactly that tomorrow with Swaen Lager Malt, some flaked corn, a bit of Copper Malt, Northern Brewer hops and the 2124.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4030 on: March 10, 2023, 04:07:07 pm »
Speaking of malted corn- even though it's not quite the weekend, I'm brewing an Hoppy American Lager (aka cold ipa?) with:
 35% two-row pale malt
45% Pils malt
20% corn malt
1/2 lb sugar

~54 IBU of homegrown Chinook & Cascade
Diamond lager slurry; ferment at 50 F
~ 1.061 OG
Update- drinking the first pulls from the keg today and I'm really happy with the beer.  OG ended up at 1.063; finished at 1.009, added some more homegrown Cascade as keg hop - nice and dry, clear, crisp, with a firm bitterness and firm hop flavor and aroma.  My Chinook are somewhat pineappley which go with my Cascade well.  I think the malted corn gives some background sweetness (just a bit) to complement the beer.  The Diamond lager gives a slight sulfur note that I did my best to minimize by bubbling some CO2 through at transfer.  Not bad for the first brew of a new recipe- I'll drink it!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4031 on: March 10, 2023, 08:17:15 pm »
Session IPA
80% pilsner
12% flaked wheat
8% honey malt

bitter with magnum
35g Citra 20 min
35g Citra 2 min
56g Citra DH
56g Eclipse DH

~30 IBU
I just brewed with this yeast last weekend. It took 39 hours to drop a gravity point on the Tilt. Then it went from 1045 to 1006.  I have only tasted a sample from the spigot. It has a nice English fruity flavor. Nothing overpowering. The exact fruits I taste is hard to tell.
I used it in a double red ipa recently. It was very attenuative but sluggish to start as you mentioned. The beer was great but there was a lot going on so it was hard to judge the yeast. Cleared up nicely which was a nice surprise.

“Lag phase can be longer when compared with other strains, ranging from 24-36 hours. . Our research suggests that pitching LalBrew New England™ directly into wort without prior rehydration will often result in better performance including shorter lag-phase and greater attenuation”
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 11:58:31 am by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4032 on: March 12, 2023, 05:57:54 pm »
Brewed 3.5 gallons John Palmers Dunkelbock on Anvil Foundry 10.5 OG=1.066
Bittered with Santiam hops 28 IBU
Yeast Fermentis - S-189
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/2023/02/08/john-palmers-dunkelbock/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 06:03:36 pm by purduekenn »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #4033 on: March 18, 2023, 08:54:12 am »
AG Batch #88, (4.75-5 gal in Fermenter)

5 lbs Munich
3 lbs Vienna
1/2 lb Flaked Rice

50 min, 3.5 grams Mosaic-Cryo AA 22 (first time)
10 min , 28  grams Hallertau Mittlefruh-Pellet AA 2.7

Bottom Cropped S-23

60 min Mash, 1/4 t gypsum
50 min Boil, 1/4 t gypsum

BIAB, Double Drop
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:35:29 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4034 on: March 18, 2023, 11:11:08 am »
my pipeline is way overstuffed, but i like to brew a lot in spring and then stop and this one i intend to give at least 6 weeks on oak

what do you think about this brewday next weekend?

69% simpsons - golden promise
15% rye malt
11% sucrose
2% victory malt
2% crystal 120

OG 1.085
FG 1.014 or lower

Nugget hops to 60 IBU and 4oz toasted oak cubes for at least 6 weeks. may do a few litres with extra oak from the crown royal barrel bits i got, but i need to shave off the extreme char they have and re-toast them or something. i tried one piece in vodka and it turned the vodka pitch black, no hint of brown, just BLACK.

problem: i intended to use 2 packs of bry97, but they only had 1x bry97, blindsided i bought 2 packs of US05, which i haven't used in about 8 years.

then, do a partigyle of the above and collect ~8 litres for a starter of WLP001, adjusting with DME if necessary to hit some 1.035-1.045 og