Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 417352 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #4035 on: March 18, 2023, 03:36:01 pm »
my pipeline is way overstuffed, but i like to brew a lot in spring and then stop and this one i intend to give at least 6 weeks on oak

what do you think about this brewday next weekend?

69% simpsons - golden promise
15% rye malt
11% sucrose
2% victory malt
2% crystal 120

OG 1.085
FG 1.014 or lower

Nugget hops to 60 IBU and 4oz toasted oak cubes for at least 6 weeks. may do a few litres with extra oak from the crown royal barrel bits i got, but i need to shave off the extreme char they have and re-toast them or something. i tried one piece in vodka and it turned the vodka pitch black, no hint of brown, just BLACK.

problem: i intended to use 2 packs of bry97, but they only had 1x bry97, blindsided i bought 2 packs of US05, which i haven't used in about 8 years.

then, do a partigyle of the above and collect ~8 litres for a starter of WLP001, adjusting with DME if necessary to hit some 1.035-1.045 og

Hmm...so you are only using WLP001, or are you using the US-05, or both? US-05 is good enough, and I would bet any character versus BRY-97 will be hidden behind the rest of what's going on in this beer.

The overall recipe looks pretty solid to my eyes...are you using rice hulls also? You are probably OK given that it's only 15% rye, but you know your system better than I do. I would probably throw in a little yeast nutrient given the gravity.

For my tastes, I might up the percentage of Victory+Crystal, to balance out the oakiness, but that's just my taste. The sucrose will definitely keep it plenty dry. It's going to be a gorgeous color!

I would probably dry hop a little bit to play with the oakiness...but it is likely OK without, too!

Either way you run this one, it's going to be pretty tasty. Good luck, and cheers!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4036 on: March 18, 2023, 03:41:32 pm »
I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I just pitched the yeast on a Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale from the latest Zymurgy (Big Brew Day/SoCal Homebrew Festival is always a working weekend for me, argh!).

This batch is a little bittersweet...a good friend who lives right across the street absolutely loves Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and we have enjoyed plenty together on his driveway over the years. He and his family are moving away in a few months. Given that this recipe is in the SNPA flavor-space, I told him that this batch is for him! We'll get to have a few together before he heads out...

I'm using all homegrown South Dakota Cascade on this batch, from my dad's farm. This batch is for friends and family!

96% 2-row (Rahr)
4% caramel 40L (Briess)
1.5 oz. Cascade whole hops, 60 minute boil (~29 IBU)
1 oz. Cascade whole hops, 15 minute boil (~10 IBU)
0.5 tsp. BrewTanB, 10 minute boil
1 Whirlfloc tablet, 5 minute boil
1.5 oz. Cascvade whole hops, 5 minute boil (~6 IBU)
2 pkg. BRY-97 (Lallemand)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 05:07:02 pm by Andy Farke »
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4037 on: March 18, 2023, 03:55:18 pm »

my beer
Hmm...so you are only using WLP001, or are you using the US-05, or both? US-05 is good enough, and I would bet any character versus BRY-97 will be hidden behind the rest of what's going on in this beer.

The overall recipe looks pretty solid to my eyes...are you using rice hulls also? You are probably OK given that it's only 15% rye, but you know your system better than I do. I would probably throw in a little yeast nutrient given the gravity.

For my tastes, I might up the percentage of Victory+Crystal, to balance out the oakiness, but that's just my taste. The sucrose will definitely keep it plenty dry. It's going to be a gorgeous color!

I would probably dry hop a little bit to play with the oakiness...but it is likely OK without, too!

Either way you run this one, it's going to be pretty tasty. Good luck, and cheers!

oh i meant use that partigyle to build up some yeast with WLP001 for a separate brew later on, not this one. yeah, thanks for the confirmation on the US05 vs bry97, i'll go with two US05s.

yes, rice hulls, ive got them around here and i use them on bigger brews. understood about the crystal+victory increase, i want it dry, but the last beer i made like this could have had more malt and caramel going on to compliment.

was thinking of upping the hop character (and dryhopping lightly) a bit just to add complexity. ive got a pound of nugget to use, so its definitely possible.

I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I just pitched the yeast on a Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale from the latest Zymurgy (Big Brew Day/SoCal Homebrew Festival is always a working weekend for me, argh!).

This batch is a little bittersweet...a good friend who lives right across the street absolutely love Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and we have enjoyed plenty together on his driveway over the years. He and his family are moving away in a few months. Given that this recipe is in the SNPA flavor-space, I told him that this batch is for him! We'll get to have a few together before he heads out...

I'm using all homegrown South Dakota Cascade on this batch, from my dad's farm. This batch if for friends and family!

96% 2-row (Rahr)
4% caramel 40L (Briess)
1.5 oz. Cascade whole hops, 60 minute boil (~29 IBU)
1 oz. Cascade whole hops, 15 minute boil (~10 IBU)
0.5 tsp. BrewTanB, 10 minute boil
1 Whirlfloc tablet, 5 minute boil
1.5 oz. Cascvade whole hops, 5 minute boil (~6 IBU)
2 pkg. BRY-97 (Lallemand)

i was really close to doing an all-cascade APA, but am just doing one with idaho 7 and mosaic a few brews on. that should be awesome. im going to regret not making one until i can.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4038 on: March 19, 2023, 09:27:35 am »
Today is the 25th anniversary of my first brew and my 600th batch. My first was an extract version of SNPA, so it seemed appropriate to do an AG version of (kinda) the same thing. In addition, Crispy is a dear friend who I owe a debt of gratitude, so it will be in his honor.  The recipe title says it all about how my attitude towards brewing has changed over 25 years.

https://community.grainfather.com/recipes/948159
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

« Reply #4039 on: March 19, 2023, 09:51:18 am »
Today is the 25th anniversary of my first brew and my 600th batch. My first was an extract version of SNPA, so it seemed appropriate to do an AG version of (kinda) the same thing. In addition, Crispy is a dear friend who I owe a debt of gratitude, so it will be in his honor.  The recipe title says it all about how my attitude towards brewing has changed over 25 years.

Congrats, I'm at AG batch 88 and gaining fast, lol

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4040 on: March 19, 2023, 10:50:07 am »

Congrats Denny.  A milestone indeed.

So 600 batches in 25 years is an average of 24 brews/year.  Has that pace held (relatively) steady over this time?  Part of me thinks that we all slow down as we march forward, but with all-in-ones I wonder if it’s just easier to brew more often nowadays.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4041 on: March 19, 2023, 10:58:22 am »

Congrats Denny.  A milestone indeed.

So 600 batches in 25 years is an average of 24 brews/year.  Has that pace held (relatively) steady over this time?  Part of me thinks that we all slow down as we march forward, but with all-in-ones I wonder if it’s just easier to brew more often nowadays.

Yeah, I've slowed down. I'm 25 years older and don't drink nearly as much as I used to. The equipment does make it easier, but it doesn't get me more time. I actually brew less now than when I was working. But the all in ones make it much more fun, and that's the reason I brew.  The beer is secondary.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4042 on: March 19, 2023, 12:46:12 pm »
Congratulations Denny!  I hope it’s the best beer you’ve ever brewed.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4043 on: March 19, 2023, 12:48:26 pm »

Thank you!  It may be, it may not be, but I'm brewing and that's what matters.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4044 on: March 19, 2023, 05:03:49 pm »

Makes me wonder how many batches I've made since 1994 or so.  Congrats indeed Denny, any chance you'd share your recipe outside of the Grainfather "ecosystem?"  I don't want to create another account just to see it.  Thanks for considering it!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4045 on: March 19, 2023, 07:30:00 pm »
Last lager for the season. A CAP, or Pre Pro Pils if you will.

80% 6-Row, 20 % corn meal (cereal mash)
Cluster at 50 min and 20.
A bunch of German Tettnang to finish.
Chilled to 47⁰F by recirculating chiller water through snow and ice in a kettle.
Diamond dry yeast.
Fermenting in kegs.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4046 on: March 20, 2023, 09:00:17 am »

Makes me wonder how many batches I've made since 1994 or so.  Congrats indeed Denny, any chance you'd share your recipe outside of the Grainfather "ecosystem?"  I don't want to create another account just to see it.  Thanks for considering it!

I made the recipe public so you shouldn't need an account. Is it not working?

www.dennybrew.com

Fire Rooster

« Reply #4047 on: March 25, 2023, 08:38:52 am »
AG Batch #89, (4.5-5 gal in Fermenter)

7 lbs S. Golden Promise
1 lb DC Dark Munich
1/2 lb Flaked Rice
1/4 cup Sugar

50 min, 1 oz Tettnanger (dried cone 4.3 AA)
15 min , 1 oz Tettnanger

2 PKS NOVALAGER

60 min Mash, 1/4 t gypsum
50 min Boil, 1/4 t gypsum

BIAB, Double Drop
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 03:18:12 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #4048 on: March 25, 2023, 08:53:17 pm »

I get a login prompt when I try the link.  I can create an account if that's what's required.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4049 on: March 26, 2023, 08:26:59 am »

I get a login prompt when I try the link.  I can create an account if that's what's required.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

I'll try to remember to just copy and paste the recipe here

OK, here goes...FTR, actual OG 1.074, actual FG 1.006

#599 - DIPA
Double IPA
Recipe by Denny Conn
Batch Size
7 US Gal
Losses
0.5 US Gal
Boil Time
60 mins
Mash Efficiency
80%
Mash Volume
6.913 US Gal
Sparge Volume
3.137 US Gal
OG (SG)
FG (SG)
IBU
Colour (SRM)
ABV
8.26%
Mash and Sparge volumes calculated using the "Fozzie" profile.
Fermentables Amount Usage PPG SRM
Maris Otter
Supplier: Crisp 14.00 lb (74%) Mash 38.0 3.0
Bonlander Munich - 10L (organic)
Supplier: Briess 2.00 lb (11%) Mash 35.9 7.6
Cane (Beet) Sugar
Supplier: Generic 2.00 lb (11%) Late Addition 46.0 0.0
Caramel Malt - 10L (2-Row)
Supplier: Briess 1.00 lb (5%) Mash 34.5 53.4
Mash Steps Temp Time
Mash In 152 °F 60 min
Mash Out 167 °F 10 min
Hops Amount Type Usage Time AA
Veteran’s Blend (IBU: 52.0) 1.75 oz (13%) Pellet Boil 60 min 13
MI Chinook (IBU: 28.0) 2.00 oz (15%) Pellet Boil 10 min 13
Amarillo (IBU: 5.6) 2.00 oz (15%) Pellet Boil 3 min 7.3
Hops Amount Type Usage Time AA
BSG Citiva (IBU: 0.9) 1.00 oz (7%) Pellet Boil 1 min 9.4
BSG Evergreen (IBU: 1.2) 1.00 oz (7%) Pellet Boil 1 min 8
BSG Zamba (IBU: 0.5) 1.00 oz (7%) Pellet Boil 1 min 9.2
Cascade (IBU: 0.0) 1.00 oz (7%) Pellet Dry Hop 3 days 5.8
Cryopop original (IBU: 0.0) 2.00 oz (15%) Pellet Dry Hop 3 days 22
Citra, Cryo (IBU: 0.0) 2.00 oz (15%) Pellet Dry Hop 3 days 25
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 02:33:04 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com