Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 421741 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #420 on: August 03, 2015, 05:26:19 am »
"I've only used fresh blackberries, but they can certainly be messy and can be expensive. I've heard good things about puree. 1lb/gallon is the absolute minimum, but I'd push it to 1.5-2lb/gal if you want any significant fruit flavor." erockrph

Are those weights for both purees and fresh fruit?

I've only used fresh fruit. I will defer to someone with experience with purees to comment on that.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #421 on: August 03, 2015, 05:39:57 am »
Eric, Red X malt shouldn't need an enzyme boost. It's pretty savvy malt on its own. Either way, it can't hurt to have the pils in there. Looks like a good recipe, I brewed something similar last year that was pretty decent.

Good to know. I did want to push the hops a bit in this one, so I took steps to make sure this dries out to the level I want (long, low mash rest; Amber Bitter water profile; extra pils malt for enzymes; etc). If the malt character is as nice as it smelled in the wort, then I may try some maltier applications (Dunkel/Bock) this fall. I will feel more comfortable letting it ride at 100% of the grist in those instances.

I also called an audible on the hops. I realized that 90% of the beers I've brewed over the past year or two have featured either Sterling or Motueka as one of the main hops. I ended up bittering with Mandarina Bavaria, and using 2.5oz Mandarina and 1.5oz of Apollo in the hop stand. So I'm basically tring to make an American Pale Ale disguised as a German red lager :)
Eric B.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #422 on: August 03, 2015, 09:04:03 am »
"I've only used fresh blackberries, but they can certainly be messy and can be expensive. I've heard good things about puree. 1lb/gallon is the absolute minimum, but I'd push it to 1.5-2lb/gal if you want any significant fruit flavor." erockrph

I've only used fresh fruit. I will defer to someone with experience with purees to comment on that.
One more follow up here. I went with fresh red and black raspberries, no fresh blackberries to be found at the local farmers' market. Should I let this run at higher saison temps to finish or more at ambient temps (70-75) currently in my basement
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #423 on: August 03, 2015, 11:07:33 am »

One more follow up here. I went with fresh red and black raspberries, no fresh blackberries to be found at the local farmers' market. Should I let this run at higher saison temps to finish or more at ambient temps (70-75) currently in my basement
Which yeast are you using? I've only fruited saisons using 3711, and in those cases I add them in secondary and let them sit at ambient for 10-14 days before packaging. I prefer to add fruit at ambient to try to keep as much of the volatiles from blowing off. I don't know if 3724 has different requirements for finishing out fruit added in secondary.
Eric B.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #424 on: August 03, 2015, 01:24:48 pm »
Thanks Eric, I used belle saison, and now have it at ambient, cant wait to try it out in a couple weeks
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #425 on: August 03, 2015, 02:21:51 pm »
Kegged my altbier and made a starter for my special bitter coming up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #426 on: August 03, 2015, 04:04:17 pm »

Overlooked your post,Frank -  I use fruit purees exclusively now (after a few early racking nightmares with fresh fruit).  The amounts aren't interchangeable between the two IMO. Purees are more concentrated than fresh fruit because purees don't have the skins, seeds, pits, stems, etc., that fresh fruit does. I think using half the amount of puree than fresh fruit is a good starting point, then adjust on the next one. It's tough to advise on amounts because everybody has a different goal and preference for their beer. Example - I might only add a couple lbs of cherry puree to a quad (Three Philosophers style) to get a slight cherry background character since it's for me, but if I make a cherry beer for my wife (who wants an absolute fruit bomb) then it might be a couple 48 oz cans of puree.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #427 on: August 03, 2015, 04:24:20 pm »

Overlooked your post,Frank -  I use fruit purees exclusively now (after a few early racking nightmares with fresh fruit).  The amounts aren't interchangeable between the two IMO. Purees are more concentrated than fresh fruit because purees don't have the skins, seeds, pits, stems, etc., that fresh fruit does. I think using half the amount of puree than fresh fruit is a good starting point, then adjust on the next one. It's tough to advise on amounts because everybody has a different goal and preference for their beer. Example - I might only add a couple lbs of cherry puree to a quad (Three Philosophers style) to get a slight cherry background character since it's for me, but if I make a cherry beer for my wife (who wants an absolute fruit bomb) then it might be a couple 48 oz cans of puree.

+1 that's good advice. Made a peach ale once and used a 48oz can purée........too peachy galore  for my tastes for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

« Reply #428 on: August 03, 2015, 07:36:27 pm »
Thanks Jon and Ken. It's on about 6# of fresh then frozen raspberries since Saturday night. I'm leaving town at the end of the week, so if it's tasting good by thursday, I will be pulling the bagged fruit. If it's not where I want it yet, it's going to sit for another week before I get around to bottling it
Frank L.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #429 on: August 03, 2015, 08:45:23 pm »
Thanks Jon and Ken. It's on about 6# of fresh then frozen raspberries since Saturday night. I'm leaving town at the end of the week, so if it's tasting good by thursday, I will be pulling the bagged fruit. If it's not where I want it yet, it's going to sit for another week before I get around to bottling it
It took a good 3 weeks for my sour cherries to give the flavor I wanted. 
This beer sounds great, btw. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline 69franx

« Reply #430 on: August 04, 2015, 07:52:35 am »
Thanks JT, if I ever get to a club meeting I will bring a couple
Frank L.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #431 on: August 05, 2015, 11:23:37 am »
big weekend and next week planned as I'm taking some time off for some home projects and brewing.

Have an IPA planned (hops still open...something different), Northern German Pils, Summer Wheat Ale, and some apple cherry cider.

Getting pumped thinking about it  ;D
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

« Reply #432 on: August 05, 2015, 11:26:14 am »
Sounds like an awesome week Ken.
No brewing for me, having a little family reunion/vacation on the beach in New Smyrna Beach Florida. Will make not brewing a little easier to take,  8)
Frank L.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #433 on: August 05, 2015, 11:47:12 am »
Yeah love my wife and fam but they are all going to visit my wife's nephew and new baby so I have time to do projects, brew, and relax with a home brew....(Written with tears of joy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #434 on: August 05, 2015, 03:32:19 pm »
Brewed a special bitter today and nailed my numbers (mostly, at least).  Letting the kolsch warm up a bit to finish out.